• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

pre 500 recto for 2k on the bay!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what separates them is the circuit boards...

In the 90's, George Lynch started the hype all on his own by claiming he "looked for special signs" on the amps that would qualify them as special rectos. The special signs are nothing more than the same things we look for today: serial number, circuit revision, etc...

Before all of this knowledge became known within the past year, all that we had was the myth aroused by George Lynch. It was easy to say "oohh, a pre500!!" Now that we know a lot more, I would agree that some of the myth/mystique is lost. Now it simply comes down to circuit board revisions really. The older you go, the more aggressive and smooth the tone becomes. It's become that simple now. People are willing to go to great lengths to get their tone. Just think, in comparison to a Dumble, a pre500 is dirt cheap!!

Elpelotero said:
what separates them is the circuit boards...

In the 90's, George Lynch started the hype all on his own by claiming he "looked for special signs" on the amps that would qualify them as special rectos. The special signs are nothing more than the same things we look for today: serial number, circuit revision, etc...

Before all of this knowledge became known within the past year, all that we had was the myth aroused by George Lynch. It was easy to say "oohh, a pre500!!" Now that we know a lot more, I would agree that some of the myth/mystique is lost. Now it simply comes down to circuit board revisions really. The older you go, the more aggressive and smooth the tone becomes. It's become that simple now. People are willing to go to great lengths to get their tone. Just think, in comparison to a Dumble, a pre500 is dirt cheap!!

I'd heard the whole "different tranny" thing that George Lynch spoke of. I actually bought my first pre 500 before I ever heard of it. Not knowing it was a pre 500 when I got it.
So!, is it right to say that most people or should I say most the people on this board belive the pre 500's desirable tone all lies within the curcit board revs?
Being the earlier the board rev (and serial #), the smoother and more aggressive the tone.
I still would love to do a side by side comparison on any pre 500 next to a slightly post 500, say between 501 and 600 or hear from someone on this board that has done so. Would be interesting to know the results.

It's very interesting. The goofs are pretty evident when you see buss wire to LDR's and resistors soldered off other resistors. I thinke they forgot some of the botoom trace artwork, hence a short life span and RF-1F.
It the whole scheme, it's a very interesting amp and definately a "Lucy" in the DR evolution.

Latest posts

Back