Pre 500 Mesa Dual Rectifier in da house. (R0430)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillDivision

Reaction score
Traded my Mesa Boogie Mark IV with a Pre 500 Mesa Dual Rectifier.
I already had the Mark series sound with my Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and Peavey Classic Series 60/60 poweramp.
I liked the Studio Preamp more than the Mark IV because the SP is smoother with more tone. The M4 is a beautiful amp, but i like the SP more.

First i have to say I've had a Single Rectifier, a 2 channel Triple Rectifier and a 2005 3 channel Dual rectifier in the past. I'm a person who likes to spent hours tweaking and tweaking (playing the same boring riffs), so I think I know how my old recto's sounded.

The Pre500....
It's great.
For tight palmmuting you don't need a overdrive/tubescreamerpedal playing with a EMG-81.
There is no fizzy high-end.
The bass is tighter.
The dynamics/picking are absolutely different than the normal recto's, it's more Mark-series territory.
The Rectifier switch gets you more "sag", but because it is a tighter amp, it isn't too much and it still is tight.

It's a totally different amp than the later Recto's, I think it's sound is between a Mark series amp and a Recto. The tightness of a Mark with the the bulgyness (is that a word?) of a recto.
I will record some palmmuting around christmas with an EMG-81 guitar straight into the Recto.

Cheers,

Tom

Back