power tube broke in socket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I have a Roadster head. I was setting up for a show last weekend and the power cord on my head caught a power tube and cracked the plastic piece on the bottom inside the socket. I don't know what it is called, but it is the plastic piece in the middle of the tube that slides in the socket. Is it ok for me to just pull the cracked piece of plastic out of the socket and replace the tube?
I hate the fact that you can not disconnect the power cable in the Roadster.

Thanks

That's an orientation pin so you don't put the tube in wrong.

If you can't pull it out with a hemostat or needle nose pliers, you can push it out of the hole with a chop stick. If you open up the amp to do this be very careful, there can be high voltage present even with the amp unplugged!

If the tube as still good and the orientation is obvious you can glue the pin back on (or leave it off) and still use the tube. Be careful if you do this, installing the tube wrong can be disastrous!

Bummer!

I have sucessfully used super glue to reglue that pin into place, it is pretty easy to do. Worked fine for me...

Thanks.

I think I will just take to broken piece out and order new tubes. These are a couple of years old anyways.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to bring it in to get looked at.

jhguitar1 said:
I hate the fact that you can not disconnect the power cable in the Roadster.

The power cable in the Roadster is removable. Take the back bar off and follow the power cable. You will see a small black cable clamp screwed into the headshell. Unscrew the clamp. Follow the cable a little further and you will find the IEC connector. Simply pull it out. I screwed the clamp back in so I don't loose it.

Don said:
If you can't pull it out with a hemostat or needle nose pliers, you can push it out of the hole with a chop stick.

Whatever you do DO NOT try that! The sockets are PCB mounted and the center hole does not go through the PCB. You'll crack the board for sure!

Dom

Latest posts

Back