Power Supplies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickL101

Reaction score
This topic may have already been done to death but I have a query.

I'm not a huge effects junkie. I mainly just run a compressor (for clean), an OD (For slight gain on clean or as a boost on top of amp overdrive) and a delay (In my effects loop, almost always on but dialed just for ambience). I do have a variety of other pedals as I may need them for certain covers gigs but generally I limit myself to those 3.

My question relates to the power for the pedals:

I own a Carl Martin Powerjack for power but it adds alot of ground hum to the signal so for live sets I use fresh batteries. What power supply would you guys recommend for me (I named my pedals as i've heard people say that some can be particular about what type of power they take)?

Bear in mind that:

a) I'm generally running 3 pedals only (So I don't need something with 9 million outputs and loads of different voltage outlets)
b) All of my pedals take 9 volt DC
c) I don't really like the Daisy Chain thing at the moment. It's mainly because 2 of the 5 power jacks are just left lying there at the moment. If I could find a 3 outlet daisy chain i'd be happy (but like I say the Powerjack introduces hum, as did 2 cheaper budget power bricks)

Any help here would be much appreciated,
Patrick.

PS I apologise if what i've said makes sense to only me. That sort of thing happens too often :p

I am using the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Works great and I have no problem with hums or noise. I think I paid about 160 for it but it is worth it. I does have the ability to change the voltage on two of the outputs that is cool with overdrive pedals. You can also combine two of the outputs to get 18 volts to power some of the bigger pedals. I have been very happy so far. This one is going to stay with me for awhile. Good luck.

Same here, I used the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus too. I also love it, I was using a couple of wall warts and they seemed to be causing intermitted hum and buzz. The Pedal Power 2 Plus (so far) runs very clean and like the above author said it's very versatile. The only drag so far is that for 18 and 24 volt pedals or if you need a cable longer than 20 inches you need to either build it yourself or custom order them from Voodoo Lab.

I've been looking for something that can handle a TimeFactor, ModFactor, and Nova Delay. If anybody knows of anything out there, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Looked into the Iso-5, it can only handle one high-current device.

Google "ground loop".
Check out "Ebtech" devices. They make gizmos that reduce and/or eliminate ground loop hum.
The T-Rex Fuel Tank Juicy Lucy has 5 isolated outputs each delivering 300 mA of 12-volt power.
Hope this helps :D

Thanks for all the info guys you're a big help.

Seems like there's alot of love for the PP2's out there but I really don't need all that it can provide. I may go for somehting like the smaller T-Rex Fueltank Junior like MrMarkIII suggests which just has 5 isolated outputs to get rid of the nasty ground hum i'm experiencing now.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers,

Patrick.

i have a dunlop brick.
works great.

i have (2) pedals that can use 18 volts, and the brick has (2) 18v outputs.
it's buffered and all that, and very small.
had it running for about 1.5 years now, no problems.
pedalboard.jpg

gonzo said:
i have a dunlop brick.
works great.

i have (2) pedals that can use 18 volts, and the brick has (2) 18v outputs.
it's buffered and all that, and very small.
had it running for about 1.5 years now, no problems.
pedalboard.jpg

That's cool. Something small would be ideal.
You have a sweet pedalboard dude. I think i'm going to upgrade my overdrive slot to a Barber. What make is the board itself? The size looks just about ideal.

that's the pedaltrain PT-2

and actually, the board is designed to house a voodoo labs power supply UNDERNEATH the board, out of view.....

they give you mounting plates and everything..
but i had already chosen the Brick before i got the board, i probably would not have bought the voodoo labs anyway....

but, it's part of it.
so if that's interesting to you, do a little homework first.

BARBER:
there is a WIDE choice of drives, again, do the homework first, you'll dial it in perfectly if you do.

PatrickL101: Your pedals in front and the delay in the loop share a common power supply? Thats the problem right there, a ground loop between the pedals and the preamp section of your head. Cheap fix, use a seperate power supply for the pedal in the loop. Best fix would be a power supply that has isolated outputs (Voodoo Lab Pedal Power or similar) if you can cough up the $150+.

NoGlassNoClass said:
PatrickL101: Your pedals in front and the delay in the loop share a common power supply? Thats the problem right there, a ground loop between the pedals and the preamp section of your head. Cheap fix, use a seperate power supply for the pedal in the loop. Best fix would be a power supply that has isolated outputs (Voodoo Lab Pedal Power or similar) if you can cough up the $150+.

I thought this was the problem initially so I placed all pedals infront of the amp, then powered them one by one with the powerjack. I still got a load of nasty hiss :(

I'm definitely going to get something with isolated outputs but being in the UK the Pedal Power is £160-ish :(

I'll work it all out eventually :p

PatrickL101 said:
...a load of nasty hiss :(

Isolated power supply will take care of the hum, but hiss is likely just a byproduct of the OD and/or compressor. Do you still get hiss if the pedals are connected but bypassed? To avoid a bunch of tap-dancing on pedals during your performance, a noise gate placed after any gain-boosting pedals (but before delay/reverb) is a set-it-and-forget-it solution. ISP Decimator is the best by far (not too expensive either), but you can get good results with MXR SmartGate, Boss NS-2, or any of the Hush pedals.

Im running a BBE Supa-Charger which is pretty much a PP2+ knock off (it doesnt have the SAG control). Alot of guys are down on it for rippin off Voodoo Labs but it has been Rock Solid for almost 3 years now for me. It does 2-3 shows a week and 2 rehearsals a week. Isolated outputs. Its much cheaper than the Voodoo.

Its also the same enclosure as the Voodoo and fits under my pedaltrain JR pedalboard like a glove. highly recommended

http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp-boxes/supa-charger.htm

Back