Power, pre, or both?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here :lol:

I have a question to ask about tube replacement. Last May I bought a RKII with a standard 4x12 cab and it's been performing great until just recently. My tone is starting to sound rather muddy and brittle even, so I'm guessing my tubes are starting to get worn. My question is, is this tone issue caused by worn pre-amp tubes, or worn power amp tubes? I called Long & McQuade today asking for prices of matched sets and whatnot, and he said if I have no issues with output volume, only with tone, then it's most likely my pre-amp tubes. I thought this was sort of strange because as far as I know, pre-amp tubes don't really get stressed like power amp tubes do, they just shape the tone. Am I right in that assumption?

Anyway, my current plan is to just shell out the ~$250 and replace all the power and pre-amp tubes, unless someone can give me a explanation of why it'd be better to just replace one type.

Thanks for any help!

Here's what I use...

V1* - Groove tube 12AX7-M Mullard Reissue
V2 - Shuguang 9th Gen 12AX7
V3 - Shuguang 9th Gen 12AX7
V4 - JJ ECC83S
V5 - JJ ECC83S

V6 -V9** Groove Tube 6L6 GE's
V10-V11 Jj GZ34's

* I usually chill out my DR with this tube or a Jj ECC803 or a JAN 5751 only in V1.

** I do like JJ's 6L6's you can get them through GT as well they are the 6L6-S's rating 4-7. Also check out SED's 6L6's they have a bit better sound than the JJ's...at least to my ears.

Hard to tell, but one sign of bad power tubes sometimes is weak, farty bass.

I am going by my Lonestar manual, but they suggest just power tubes. I think you're right that the pre-amp tubes just shape the tone and aren't subjected too much to wearing out.
I replaced power tubes in my Lonestar as a precaution after two years of gigging two-three times a month. I noticed no difference with the power tubes so I was probably fine. Now, I have a set of spares.
Call Mesa and see what they say.

I just went out and replaced all of them anyway, sounds way better now :lol:

I figured I may as well... you don't need to replace tubes too often so I don't mind dropping $250 to get it done every now and then.

I'm going to do that soon, I realized I'm not as happy with my tone anymore and then remembered it's been more than 2 years since I've changed them (and for a period of time I toured/practiced with it rather heavily)...Can't wait for the new tubes.

mrd said:
Hey guys, new member here :lol:

I have a question to ask about tube replacement. Last May I bought a RKII with a standard 4x12 cab and it's been performing great until just recently. My tone is starting to sound rather muddy and brittle even

+1 Same equipment (April 2006 RKII) and same problem. I've got some new JJ pre tubes, maybe I'll try them.

Could the Lexicon G2 be the problem of the bad sound coming out?! It's rather old (6-7 years) and maybe...it's gone.

Latest posts

Back