Power cable problem (pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubescreamer

Reaction score
I looked at the largest prong of my power cable (ground?) for my tremoverb head (attached cord version) and I noticed a burned in like hole on the end of it. It almost looks charred. I took a quick snapshot on my phone so I apologize for the poor quality shot but you can still see the hole there.

SSPX0262resize.jpg

I dont know enough about tube amps to know if this is affecting my tone at all. I'm a tube noob you could say.

thanks

It's called arcing. When the 117V wall supply is loose or the plugs get dirty the 117V basically cannot make contact. When it does, it sends a small bolt of electricity to the plug and arc. It usually carbonizes the plugs and can possibly melt the metal. It will look like a small spot weld. A good cleaning with fine sand paper may repair the plug, but a good power conditioner or a very high quality surge protector will help.

If it's a TOV with the IEC cord, I would just replace it. It's basically a computer cord.

well thanks for the info. I don't know how soon I can get that fixed, but is there anything this is doing wrong to my amp? or would it be ok to leave it that way for a while

thanks boogiebabies!

To be perfefctly honest a little carbon on the tip of the cord isn't going to really hurt anything but your vanity. The real contact happens on the sides of that prong. I wouldn't worry about the cord too much unless you begin cutting off portions from welding via arcing of the outlets to your cord. Again it is a good idea to use at the very least a good power strip that is protected. A power conditioner is a better solution. In the meantime I wouldn't plug anything into the actual outlet that had the issue until after it gets fixed. Sounds more like your amp may have been on but in standby. That would be the only way that your amp would have passed electricity unless your amp was on and not in standby. So in the meantime just check your power status before plugging you amp in. If it makes you feel better you can sand off the carbonized portion of the tip of the grounding lug on the plug but I wouldn't even worry about it.

well the black spot you see there isnt a blotch of carbon... Its an actual physical hole in the prong. Does this change anything

Again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it eventually falls out then I would replace it or when or if it begins to become intermittent. Until then it isn't a big deal at all. The ground connections inside a socket grab the sides anyway not the tip. Some grounding prongs are actually designed with an open end to them. In those cases, it is just how it was built. The main reason most are closed is that it keeps it from getting snagged on stuff like your skin and makes it easier to plug in. Some may add that it helps very minimally structurally to the end of the tip to keep it from collapsing.

Back