Power amp tube help with LSC V1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a guy from EuroTubes. He said that I could remove 2 of my 6L6 tubes (inner 2 or outer 2) hook up the speaker to the 4 ohm output and that I would get a good overdrive sound.

Is this OK? Right now I am playing through the tweed setting and with the 4 ohm speaker jack. Will his setting work? Hurt my amp? Anyone try this?

Hi,

You don't need to remove the valves - I am not sure how that would make a difference, as when you are in 50w, only one pair of the 6L6 tubes are on.

The paragraph below is from the Lonestar manual:

NOTE: At some point in your experimentation with the Channel Power Select switches, try setting one or both of the Channels to 50W and moving the Speaker Load to the 4 Ohm jack. This produces a brighter, snappier response that is great for certain applica- tions, especially clean sounds.There is no right way, but the difference in response is definitely worth investigating for both clean and overdriven sounds.

D

The guy said that even in the 50W mode all 4 tubes are still driving so if you wanted to get lower volume and over drive simply remove 2 of the tubes (inner or outer) and then hook up to the 4ohm output.

I think I will send Mesa a note.

Thanks

Be interested to hear what they say as according to the manual in 50w mode only the outer two 6L6 power tubes 'are online'.

If you look at the manual there is a section that talks about loading the amp with 6v6 tubes and using the tweed mode (they won't take the full power voltage). This might be a way to achieve what you want, though I wouldn't know a 6v6 if it smacked me in the face :)

D

Don't do it. The 50 watt setting cuts the inner pair of tubes, and then only the outer pair is in play. Whoever you were talking to should know better. All 4 tubes are NOT driving in 50 watt mode. That's nonsense, and I've done the bias probe readings to prove it.

It's *possible* that there's *some* juice still running through the inner pair on the 50w setting, but it's not really a factor worth messing with. Many old tube amps do have this feature where you can pull a pair and run at half power, and maybe you can pull the inner pair on your LSC -- set at 100 watts -- and get the same effect. But if you set it to 50 and pull the OUTER pair, you'll blow a fuse in an instant and possibly fry some other goodies in your amp. What's the point? Just use your dang switch.

Thanks for the heads-up.

After I read some of the threads I decided to hold off on this experiment.

Thanks again

This is what Kris from Mesa said:

Greetings,

The 100/50 switch does that for you already .

Thanks

Kris

Latest posts

Back