Post Your Rig! Must Include a Mark V.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark%20V%20with%20Thiele.JPG

Jim Ed Love said:
Those John Petrucci guitars look nice. They seem to be pretty popular too. I would like to try one some day.

Absolute best guitar I have ever played.

Getting some nice tone thru these greenbacks.
Just got my Mark V....amazing amp.

P3180005.jpg

@ sean106alcon, How did you get the Classic Explorer headstock? and amazing gear by the way. Do you play professionally or is all this for personal use ?

Here's my little humble set up... Mesa Mark V, Port City OS 2x12 w/ Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers, and a TC Electronics Nova Repeater.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Couple Carvin guitars...

MyGuitarPics025.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Nice Rig!! Love the blue quited and the strat styled guitars.

How is that PC2x12 treating you? What were you using before that and how does it compare.

Thx,

Softail.

Softail - Man, everything's pretty new to me right now. Sold all the gear I had just to start off fresh (Ernie Ball John Petrucci model, MIM Fender Strat, Peavey JSX head, Mesa DC-5 head, Mesa 4x12 w/V30's, Avatar 4x12 w/ 2 V30's and 2 G12H30's, couple other odds and ends). I just got the Mark V the other day and my PC cab came in just a couple hours ago and hooked it all up and it's definitely a beast. Sounds good, but I'm sure it's going to take some time to get everything dialed in the way I want it. Stock tubes are still in the V (bought it used) and the speakers in the PC cab need to be broken in which will obviously come in time.

I sometimes miss my JP6 guitar but my other guitars are more versatile for me. Plus I like being able to have Carvin custom make a guitar the way I want it done. Can't beat it!

And thanks for the compliment!

ibanez77 said:
@ sean106alcon, How did you get the Classic Explorer headstock? and amazing gear by the way. Do you play professionally or is all this for personal use ?
Thanks man. I have a band, but we sacked our bass player so we kinda are in limbo. Looking for a bass player in NYC seems impossible.

I have a hook up in Japan that I ordered all the explorers including the 2 custom shop ones; the MXII-CTM's. Those two sound the best aside from the Iron Cross. They still make them for the Japan market but tough to find a dealer who is willing to order one and ship it to the states.

I can't figure out how to insert a pic of my rig from my pc ! These rigs are awesome.

rmcfee said:
I can't figure out how to insert a pic of my rig from my pc ! These rigs are awesome.

Get an Image Shack account http://imageshack.us/, upload the image to your account, and then click the "img" button when your are replying in this forum, there you must paste the link of the pic you uploaded :wink:

Here's my current primary set:

72255.jpg

Add a random delay pedal for leads, and that's basically what I'm taking with me when I go live. (I have lots of other gear (guitars, amps) for backup and modding purposes.)

A little info on the guitars (left to right):

1. Gibson SG Special. Ebony fretboard, 24 frets (originally 22, customized at Lottonen, http://www.lottonen.com). Pickups: Bare Knuckle Pickups Warpig (Alnico V) bridge, Gibson Tony Iommi neck.

2. Jackson Professional Fusion, made in Japan. Pickups: EMG 81 bridge, EMG 85 neck (plus a dummy middle pickup).

3. Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop. Pickups: Bare Knuckle Pickups Crawler set.

NOTE that I'm a very new owner of a Mark V... previous experience with Mk IIc+, Mk III, .50 Caliber+, and a Dual Rectifier. The channel settings are very random, I'm still experimenting with MkV and searching for the sound I want.

LesPaul70 said:
Here's my current primary set:

72255.jpg

Add a random delay pedal for leads, and that's basically what I'm taking with me when I go live. (I have lots of other gear (guitars, amps) for backup and modding purposes.)

A little info on the guitars (left to right):

1. Gibson SG Special. Ebony fretboard, 24 frets (originally 22, customized at Lottonen, http://www.lottonen.com). Pickups: Bare Knuckle Pickups Warpig (Alnico V) bridge, Gibson Tony Iommi neck.

2. Jackson Professional Fusion, made in Japan. Pickups: EMG 81 bridge, EMG 85 neck (plus a dummy middle pickup).

3. Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop. Pickups: Bare Knuckle Pickups Crawler set.

NOTE that I'm a very new owner of a Mark V... previous experience with Mk IIc+, Mk III, .50 Caliber+, and a Dual Rectifier. The channel settings are very random, I'm still experimenting with MkV and searching for the sound I want.

how does the jackson sound/feel ??

rika_gd said:
how does the jackson sound/feel ??

The Jackson feels and plays quite well. The neck is extremely thin compared to a Gibson (or a Fender, for that matter), which - added to the reduced resistance of a floating bridge - makes this a very fast guitar, an excellent tool for shredding. The scale is basically the same as in Gibsons (24.75") so it is very easy to play if you are accustomed to Gibsons.

I'm not completely satisfied with the sound. Ultimately, the root of the problem is the basswood body, and it is made worse by the bolt-on neck and the floating bridge. It is bright and resonant in the wrong kind of way. I guess I'm too used to the deep, rich, full sound of mahogany-body Gibsons, but the natural tone of the basswood body just seemed weak and sterile to me. Putting in the EMGs partially remedied the problem for shredding/high-gain metal applications (where the amount of distortion kind of kills the natural sound of the wood anyway), but for most other uses the Jackson sounds kind of dull and lifeless.

The Jackson is in my set mainly for stuff that requires a Floyd Rose bridge...most of the time I'm using the Gibsons for the better overall sound and sturdier feel. When I come acrossa a better similar floating bridge guitar (Gibson style fretboard, 24.75" scale, 24 frets, Floyd Rose bridge, locking nut) with mahogany body, I'll probably get rid of the Jackson (or move it to my backup guitar rack).

+1 to gibson, I have an Ibanez RG and its cool fot metal, but for cleaner stuff doesnt do the right job :?

Back