Possible trade?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocluejimbo

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've been thinking about trading in my combo/rackmount Mark IIc for a Racktifier. I've played Rectos before, and have really dug the vintage and modern channels.

As of late, I have been playing less and less clean, but my IIc has left a desire for a lighter gain channel. I love the smooth lead sound of the IIc, but I'm beginning to desire a little more raw of a high gain sound, and the vintage mid gain sounds are calling my name. Not to mention, in the back of my mind, I hold a special place for those EL34 power tubes which I could not use in my IIc.

My question is, would it be about a fair trade between the combo or rack IIc and a Racktifier? How much have the two amps sold for recently?

Can't help you on the price, but it's too bad you didn't feel this way about a month ago when I sold my 2:100. I still have the Recto Pre if you're interested though, but by the sounds of it you're focused on the old Ractifier. 8)

Oh man, 200 watts is waay too much. If I do this, I'd probably end up with just 1 pair of EL's for 50 watts. I only have a 1x12 cab anyway.

I do have the AD-9 still. Some guy wanted the Ibanez pair really bad about a month ago, but I haven't heard from him since, so you're next in line. I also still have the FL-9 flanger and the Sniper EQ.

Man, I would never sell that IIC. Just save a little and buy the DR outright. You'll kick yourself later for selling it. There is a reason you got it, remember?

My father once told me that... (here we go with the story type advise)

You already what you have always wanted. (this is true to an extent in that if you didn't want it you would never have gotten it.... remember this. There is a reason you bought it. - My guess is tone and voicing)

Things always look greener on the other side of the fence. (self explanatory)

Do not look a gift horse in the mouth. (again self explanatory)

These three lines have gotten me through some tough decision making about selling stuff in order to get something else. Now I just save until I can afford it. The DR will still be available when you have $ for it. It hasn't been produced for years and maybe they will reissue it anyway by the time you save up enough to buy one. Have you asked Mike B if he would + it for you?

No, I haven't talked to Mike. But the mod isn't a problem, I don't feel that there is enough difference between the IIc and IIc+ to merit shipping and modding the amp.

I guess I could just get a Recto Pre and use it with the IIc, or buy an additional 4U rack and HS-2 head switcher. But I still have that gut feeling that the Recto setup with 2 EL34's is what I need. I have had the IIc longer than any other amp, but it doesn't quite do it for me anymore.

And to be honest, the IIc doesn't really jive with my 7-string or a Les Paul-type guitar. My playing style when I bought the IIc was really different than now. Then, I played a lot of clean parts and lighter blues, along with some fairly hard rock stuff. Nowadays, I need the crunchier, mids-cranked rhythms and all-out leads.

I'm lucky to have owned each. (I say "owned", because what was once my IIC is now on its way back home as a IIC+) I hope that it works out. At any rate, I am very blessed to own a Racktifer as well as a (now) IIC+, a IIB, and a Studio Pre/Simul 295 Stereo. What I have found is the more vintage Boogies produce reasonable facsimiles of the DR with a V-Twin plugged into the front end, especially the Studio Pre/Simul 295 Stereo. Having a Standard Recto cab helps though.

doctorgonzo69 said:
Having a Standard Recto cab helps though.

I'm not making any attemp to talk you out of switching amps. I'm a firm believer in dumping whatever's not turning your crank.

That said, have you tried rocking that MkIIC through an oversized Recto cab yet? Between the extra bass and the aggressivness of a cab-full of V30s you just may change your mind.....

....and you may not; but, what's it hurt to try?

Also, for the Recto Pre into the IIC idea.....unless you're hardcore into the Recto's vintage voicings you'll be dissapointed in the long run. A good chunk of the Recto tone comes from the power amp, and if you don't run it with the 2:100 you'll be missing out.

That said, when I eventually buy another Rectifier (head this time) it'll be a Triple. I'm primarily a rhythm player who does alot of detuning (think Doom, not Nu-Metal), and I've run out of headroom on the Duals before and had my 6th string compress and out under high gain. So I'd prefer to get a Triple this time so I can keep my dynamics together....though if I was a lead player I'd lean towards the Dual for the extra compression.

P.S. - I'll take that delay off your hands. :)

screamingdaisy said:
doctorgonzo69 said:
Having a Standard Recto cab helps though.

I'm not making any attemp to talk you out of switching amps. I'm a firm believer in dumping whatever's not turning your crank.

That said, have you tried rocking that MkIIC through an oversized Recto cab yet? Between the extra bass and the aggressivness of a cab-full of V30s you just may change your mind.....

....and you may not; but, what's it hurt to try?

Also, for the Recto Pre into the IIC idea.....unless you're hardcore into the Recto's vintage voicings you'll be dissapointed in the long run. A good chunk of the Recto tone comes from the power amp, and if you don't run it with the 2:100 you'll be missing out.

That said, when I eventually buy another Rectifier (head this time) it'll be a Triple. I'm primarily a rhythm player who does alot of detuning (think Doom, not Nu-Metal), and I've run out of headroom on the Duals before and had my 6th string compress and out under high gain. So I'd prefer to get a Triple this time so I can keep my dynamics together....though if I was a lead player I'd lean towards the Dual for the extra compression.

P.S. - I'll take that delay off your hands. :)

Hmm... No, I have never tried a Recto 4x12. I am defintely considering the kind-of-oversized vertical 2x12. 4 speakers is definitely overkill for my playing at home and occasional (as in never) gigging.

Strangely, I played the IIc today with my Les Paul, which I don't play that often. It sounded really great on the clean channel, and pretty good on the dirty. I guess I really just want a raw distortion channel to add to the IIc, and maybe some way to get EL34 tubes in there.

Do you guys think that something like this or the vertical Recto 2x12 would give a sound similar to the oversized 4x12 due to the extra space in the cab?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mojo-2x12-Marshall-grillcloth-4x12-Guitar-cabinet-S-P_W0QQitemZ7417461759QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, Carvin has the V212E cabinet loaded with V30's for $339. Good deal?

nocluejimbo said:
Do you guys think that something like this or the vertical Recto 2x12 would give a sound similar to the oversized 4x12 due to the extra space in the cab?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mojo-2x12-Marshall-grillcloth-4x12-Guitar-cabinet-S-P_W0QQitemZ7417461759QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, Carvin has the V212E cabinet loaded with V30's for $339. Good deal?

I wouldn't buy anything for that amp without trying it first.

That's a good idea, but there aren't any Boogie dealers around here (besides the worst guitar store in town). Guitar Center only has some used 4x12 EV cabs and Marshall stuff. I guess I could take my rack to the dealer and see if they'll let me plug in their Recto pre and a 2x12 cab.

Ill jump in seeing as i have a Racktifier...

Im not down for a trade though, seeing as i just got it and i love it so much!

But since no one has given you a price yet, i bought mine on ebay for $1500...

They have been popping up every now and then on there and they have mostly been in that price range. Some have been a little less, like $1300 but youll be looking along those lines in price.

Hope that helped!

Latest posts

Back