Please Help Me Troubleshoot Problem with my Nomad 45

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliass

Reaction score
When I turn the amp on, the purplish power indicator light doesn't come on, and the tubes are showing no glow whatsoever. The individual green, orange, and red lights that indicate which channel is on DO work, and I can switch channels. There's obviously no sound at all. The fuse "looks" fine, but I'm not sure if you can visually tell if a fuse is good or not. I've checked the power cable and it's connected properly. This amp just started doing this after 4 years. It just so happens that I tried the "EXTREME" mode for the first time last night, so that might have something to do with it. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this, and how I can fix it? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Could be a bad power tube. Have you checked the fuse? If you have a bad fuse, replace, then try pulling the power tubes and then turning the amp on. Does the purple light now work? If so, replace all power tubes. At least one is probably shorted, and all may be worn. Do you see any carbon deposits on the power tube pins? This is a sign of arcing caused by power tube failure.

The next step is to pull the chassis and check under the hood. This can be dangerous because of the high voltages present, so if you lack experience, you might be better off finding a good tech.

ylo said:
Could be a bad power tube. Have you checked the fuse? If you have a bad fuse, replace, then try pulling the power tubes and then turning the amp on. Does the purple light now work? If so, replace all power tubes. At least one is probably shorted, and all may be worn. Do you see any carbon deposits on the power tube pins? This is a sign of arcing caused by power tube failure.

The next step is to pull the chassis and check under the hood. This can be dangerous because of the high voltages present, so if you lack experience, you might be better off finding a good tech.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I hope it's only the tubes. :(

I strongly suggest that you stay far away from the inside of the amp. Unless you know what your doing, there is enough DC voltage in there to fry your heart and kill you. Don't do it. Fuses and tubes are ok. Anything else and you need to see your amp tech.

I strongly suggest that you stay far away from the inside of the amp. Unless you know what your doing, there is enough DC voltage in there to fry your heart and kill you. Don't do it. Fuses and tubes are ok. Anything else and you need to see your amp tech.

dennq45 said:

The "fry your heart" part definitely convinced me! :wink:

Latest posts

Back