Please help me... F30 owner need help dialing in tones.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoney

Reaction score
Hi I have been playing guitar for a little over a year. I purchased the Mesa to use for jamming and home use. I don't gig yet. I love the amp, yet lately I am having trouble dialing in the tones I want. I am not very good at dialing in tones, so I was wondering if users on this forums could help me with amp settings for best tone on the clean and dirty channels. I use a Brian Moore custom shop that has a H S H configuration. Anyone have ideas to really make this amp sing and sound it's best? Thanks in advance for your help.

Go to the main site (www.grailtone.com) and check out some of the settings for the F series in the tone settings database. Also MB manuals are a great place to start for dialing in tones. Start with the manual settings then slowly tweak from there.

ned said:
Go to the main site (www.grailtone.com) and check out some of the settings for the F series in the tone settings database. Also MB manuals are a great place to start for dialing in tones. Start with the manual settings then slowly tweak from there.

Agreed. I used the manuel and tweaked to my taste.

If this is your first Mesa, then be sure to read the manual. I found that the tone controls on Mesa amps work differently than on other amps I've owned. They seem more interconnected (ie settings on the treble control effect the way the mid and bass contols react).

The F-30 is my first (and only) Mesa, I found it easier to dial in whatever tones I wanted once I understood how the tone controls work together on these amps.

I agree with No Soul....whenever I've had issues with Mesa's not sounding right...especially at music stores, the first thing I do is set all the EQ to 12:00 (straight up) and tweak from there. In the case of Mesa Boogies, if the tone is bad at that setting, it's usually an issue with tubes or speakers.

no soul said:
set everything to 50%, and go from there (add or subract to your taste)
you cant go wrong this way

thank you all for all your help. I will definitely try setting them all to 12 then tweaking.

Jmoney said:
Hi I have been playing guitar for a little over a year. I purchased the Mesa to use for jamming and home use. I don't gig yet. I love the amp, yet lately I am having trouble dialing in the tones I want. I am not very good at dialing in tones, so I was wondering if users on this forums could help me with amp settings for best tone on the clean and dirty channels. I use a Brian Moore custom shop that has a H S H configuration. Anyone have ideas to really make this amp sing and sound it's best? Thanks in advance for your help.

On the dirty channel try less pre amp gain & turning up the master. For the amp to sound it's best, the power amp should be working, otherwise the amp will sound "choked". The idea of starting with the tone knobs at 12:00 is a great idea....good luck, there is a bunch of good tones in that amp and I'm sure you will find them. :)

Latest posts

Back