Please Help: looking to buy/opinions on this Mark IV...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockaxis

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm looking to buy my first Mark IV and I came across this one. The seller wants $1,200 for it. I know it is an A version, but don't know the year, and that it has an upgraded wood cab. I see rust in some pics but am not sure.

Supposedly it's in great working order but wanted your opinions based on that info plus these 4 pictures he sent me. I'll check it out next week in person but don't want to waste my time if it's unjustified. Is this too much? What do you think condition-wise? Thanks

markivgroup004.jpg

markivgroup003.jpg

markivgroup002.jpg

markivgroup001.jpg
[/img]

I'd grab it for sure... I've seen heads in black tolex for much more than that recently.

Great deal if everything works - and such a beauty.

Based on my experience with my old mkivA, there are a few things to check if you can try before you buy:

-Make sure all the knobs function (on the front AND on the back)
--pull and push the ones that have pull functions
--the Output knob is a known suspect (jiggle this a bit and listen for noise)
--so is the footswitch switching knob in the back

-Make sure all the toggle switches function (on the front AND on the back)
--read the manual to understand how combinations should work

-Check the FX loops with a couple cables and a pedal
--I had the "switchable" loop fail on mine
--its no big deal if one is bad, as long as the other one works

-Check the footswitch
--the plug that connects it to the amp is somewhat delicate. Unplug it then plug it back in a few times to make sure the jack is in good condition

-Try all the channels and make sure you LIKE the sound
--I love the mkivA sound, especially with EL34s in the end sockets, like this one.
--Try both class A and simulclass
--Use the GEQ in a V shape for R2 and Lead
--it takes some time (months) to dial it in, but you should be able to tell within 30 minutes if you'll like the amp. Try factory settings, or ones from this forum.
--Bring a known cabinet if you are not used to the 1X12 combo configuration. The 1x12 has a much more focused sound, which can make it hard to make an honest appraisal if you're too close to the amp ie standing above it.

Good luck.

To me the fact it has Boogie power tubes in it is a plus. (I doubt they would have been put back in just for the photos) Too many Boogie amps get messed around with tube wise by clueless owners and are just gonna have potential reliablilty problems further down the road. If it was in the UK I'd buy it instantly for that price !!

Thanks for the responses guys, I really love it and will first check it out before I buy it. I'll try and update it when it does happen.

The amp is 17, not me! I'm so old I can remember when talking about dragons was cool...

Thanks to all that responded, especially HalfDeaf and his list of things to check for. A few of the things that you mentioned being a potential problem, were a problem w/ this amp in addition to some knobs not even working. As beautiful as the wood cab looked, even w/ the dings on it, I passed up on this deal as I don't need an amp rebuild project---not at that price. Oh well. Good news is that I do have another line on a Mark IV so keep your fingers crossed!

Back