Played the Mark V today.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDNJ

Reaction score
The combo amp, literally right off the UPS truck and out of the box, we ran it through a 4 x 12 Recto Cab with v30's.

Here is all I am going to say. I went with the intention of either buying it outright or putting a deposit down on a head.
After playing it for about an hour and messing with all the modes and switches and eq sliders and dials and everything else on the amp:
I bought the last Mark IV short head they had in stock for a great deal including the 5 year warranty.

The Mark V is the TriAxis (which i also own, a V2.0 non phat from about 9 years ago with CC, and a 2:90 to go with it) of
the Mark series. Yes it does all the models..the 2c+, IV, I, LSC etc etc....BUT it does not "nail" any of them IMHO. The
IV I just picked up has 2 EL84's and 2 6L6's and it just SLAYS in the lead mode. Honestly, my TriAxis\2:90 setup gives me
plenty of other tonal options that I'm more then happy with to complement the ONE channel on the IV that IMO you just
cant get out of either the Tri or the Mark V.

Go and see for yourself. I'm sure most of you are going to say "who is this guy with one post commenting on the V". I have
lurked this board for a few years and never had a reason to post until now. I am a long time Mesa owner and I do love them
but honestly...and I had HIGH hopes for the V....it's not all it's hyped up to be.

You should have ran it through a stiletto cab instead of a recto. The recto cabs are boomy and do not have a tight low end
JohnDNJ said:
The combo amp, literally right off the UPS truck and out of the box, we ran it through a 4 x 12 Recto Cab with v30's.

Here is all I am going to say. I went with the intention of either buying it outright or putting a deposit down on a head.
After playing it for about an hour and messing with all the modes and switches and eq sliders and dials and everything else on the amp:
I bought the last Mark IV short head they had in stock for a great deal including the 5 year warranty.

The Mark V is the TriAxis (which i also own, a V2.0 non phat from about 9 years ago with CC, and a 2:90 to go with it) of
the Mark series. Yes it does all the models..the 2c+, IV, I, LSC etc etc....BUT it does not "nail" any of them IMHO. The
IV I just picked up has 2 EL84's and 2 6L6's and it just SLAYS in the lead mode. Honestly, my TriAxis\2:90 setup gives me
plenty of other tonal options that I'm more then happy with to complement the ONE channel on the IV that IMO you just
cant get out of either the Tri or the Mark V.

Go and see for yourself. I'm sure most of you are going to say "who is this guy with one post commenting on the V". I have
lurked this board for a few years and never had a reason to post until now. I am a long time Mesa owner and I do love them
but honestly...and I had HIGH hopes for the V....it's not all it's hyped up to be.

The IV through the same exact cab sounded incredible.
Even on the Extreme setting it felt like it was missing that "bite"
the IV has. That was what I was going after and I have held
out on getting a IV for a pretty **** long time waiting for the V.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say once the amp is
in fairly wide circulation. It's a great amp please do not misunderstand me
but it is basically a modeler like the Tri and RK are and nothing more.

Close, but no cigar. ;)

JohnDNJ said:

Close, but no cigar. ;)

well one i dont think the entire point was to duplicate any of the amps but instead pay homage to them... thats my take and i may be wrong but from the little time i had on one, i thought it was an amazing amp. Keep in mind, i sat with the amp without the notion it should sound like anything other than what it is.

two... can i come over and play it?? :D

jdurso said:
JohnDNJ said:

Close, but no cigar. ;)

well one i dont think the entire point was to duplicate any of the amps but instead pay homage to them... thats my take and i may be wrong but from the little time i had on one, i thought it was an amazing amp. Keep in mind, i sat with the amp without the notion it should sound like anything other than what it is.

two... can i come over and play it?? :D

Haha the IV? Sure come on up ;)

Thanks for the info. I was kindof wondering what the deal was. It has a clean channel, mark I (or is it mark II-can't remember right now) channel for rhythum I guess, and then the third channel for lead, so is there a decent rhythum channel?

I'm definetly going to keep this in mind as it has been suggested before and for so much cash, this thing better sing for every purpose it was ment to be!

Wish I could walk into a store though and pick from a mark iv or v :(

iFreedom said:
Thanks for the info. I was kindof wondering what the deal was. It has a clean channel, mark I (or is it mark II-can't remember right now) channel for rhythum I guess, and then the third channel for lead, so is there a decent rhythum channel?

I'm definetly going to keep this in mind as it has been suggested before and for so much cash, this thing better sing for every purpose it was ment to be!

The modes are all good but the thing for me is I wont use most of them. If you want
a really good all around amp then you will probably be real happy with it. The thing is
I have that already and I wanted something more "unique". Rest assured the Mark IV
is still its own beast and the V while doing a good job of imitating it is still "not quite the same".

Notice how a guy like Petrucci still uses his IV's and 2c+'s? ;)

One thing I will say about the V...the control layout front and back is incredible and VERY clean.
Easy to tweak and mess around with trying all the different settings and such. One thing that I thought
was VERY disappointing was the musicality of the EQ knobs, not the sliders. I was fully expecting
something like the DV circuit of my Tri but its not even close. I would probably set my curve with
the graphic and just use it across all the channels and forget knobs were even there.

JohnDNJ said:
iFreedom said:

The modes are all good but the thing for me is I wont use most of them. If you want
a really good all around amp then you will probably be real happy with it. The thing is
I have that already and I wanted something more "unique". Rest assured the Mark IV
is still its own beast and the V while doing a good job of imitating it is still "not quite the same".

One thing I will say about the V...the control layout front and back is incredible and VERY clean.
Easy to tweak and mess around with trying all the different settings and such. One thing that I thought
was VERY disappointing was the musicality of the EQ knobs, not the sliders. I was fully expecting
something like the DV circuit of my Tri but its not even close. I would probably set my curve with
the graphic and just use it across all the channels and forget knobs were even there.
petrucci used the mark V prototype at the Atl. gig last year and i was there. Amazing sound. Yes hes not using it on the new album. WHY? I guess hes probably not able to get one like the rest of us. Boogie endorsees still have to buy their equipment.

DudewithFr0 said:
JohnDNJ said:
iFreedom said:

petrucci used the mark V prototype at the Atl. gig last year and i was there. Amazing sound. Yes hes not using it on the new album. WHY? I guess hes probably not able to get one like the rest of us. Boogie endorsees still have to buy their equipment.

Hey guys. Actually Dude, John mentioned on his board that he did in fact use the Mark 5,s second channel, "Mark 1" setting for a couple of solo,s on the new album.

He said that it was, "a sweet solo sound, that was dripping with gain". He went on to say that the amp was great, this, that and the third...then again, of course what else would he have said, being an endorsee and all! :)

Shang Chi 66 said:
DudewithFr0 said:

Hey guys. Actually Dude, John mentioned on his board that he did in fact use the Mark 5,s second channel, "Mark 1" setting for a couple of solo,s on the new album.

He said that it was, "a sweet solo sound, that was dripping with gain". He went on to say that the amp was great, this, that and the third...then again, of course what else would he have said, being an endorsee and all! :)

Here's what he posted:

"Tonewise, it is a Mark series lovers extravaganza. I used a couple of my favorite Mark IIC+s, Mark IVs and even the new Mark V including a couple of solos using the amp's new Mark I mode which is incredibly sweet and dripping with gain."

So he had a Mark V, but still used IIc+s and IVs as well............hmmmmm. :wink:

And who doesn't use more than one amp these days?

I've been using 2 or 3 amps for a few years now. I like the MKV, the MKIV & the MKIIc, but rarely use any of them by themselves, unless there's absolutely no space in a tiny venue. I bought the MKV because it's the newest, latest & greatest from MB. When gigging I'll still be pairing it with a Dr. Z amp or two, as this gives me a huge tone palate to work from.
It's always nice to have a brand new, state of the art amp. If I really want the MKIV or MKIIc vibe, I'll use them instead. And, as with any new product, some will love it, others won't.

After using the MKV for a week now, I've decided it's definitely a keeper. Another welcome burst of tone coloration from MesaBoogie.

MeZadude 8)

Look it's like this. The IV and The V are both great amps. Guys who have the Mark V are most likely to say that it is the best thing since sliced bread, and they got the latetest greatest blah blah blah..

The Mark IV guys are going to say it is nothing special and be swayed by the fact that they don'thave the latest greatest MARK Series Amp anymore blah, blah

Human Nature....

Fact is both amps are killer!!!

I have never owned a Boogie before, and I am loving my V so far....

Based on the recent reviews of the V, it seems more and more evident that the IIC+ and IV voicings, even the LSC (Channels1) are not 100% accurate to their original conterparts. Which is probably a good thing because it means the V has his very own personnality.

But I am curious to know from actual V owners if all these voicings actually have the same level of quality, richness and warmth. See my point?

The original IIC+ and IV are two different amps, each with their own personnality, and I think if is impossible to say which one is better. They are both as good but different.

So is the V in the same category? As good as the IIC+ and IV but different?

I know only time will tell but I am anxious to have some input cause I actually have a deposit on a head I just want to be sure I am investing in a amp that worth the 3K$ (CAN)

nicoroy123 said:
Based on the recent reviews of the V, it seems more and more evident that the IIC+ and IV voicings, even the LSC (Channels1) are not 100% accurate to their original conterparts. Which is probably a good thing because it means the V has his very own personnality.

But I am curious to know from actual V owners if all these voicings actually have the same level of quality, richness and warmth. See my point?

The original IIC+ and IV are two different amps, each with their own personality, and I think if is impossible to say which one is better. They are both as good but different.

So is the V in the same category? As good as the IIC+ and IV but different?

I know only time will tell but I am anxious to have some input cause I actually have a deposit on a head I just want to be sure I am investing in a amp that worth the 3K$ (CAN)

Yes, yes, and yes.

MeZa 8)

If all the mark v does is emulate previous mark amps then we probably wont see a triaxisII or a mark vi with a mark v voicing. Next mesa will put out a "quad recto" with single, dual, triple, and tremo voicings. This is as origional as the inevitable rocky 12 and star wars 16 :lol: :lol:

"One thing I will say about the V...the control layout front and back is incredible and VERY clean"

This and the 10W option was the kicker for me.

Very nice amp...

Gizzorge said:
Look it's like this. The IV and The V are both great amps. Guys who have the Mark V are most likely to say that it is the best thing since sliced bread, and they got the latetest greatest blah blah blah..

The Mark IV guys are going to say it is nothing special and be swayed by the fact that they don'thave the latest greatest MARK Series Amp anymore blah, blah

Human Nature....

Fact is both amps are killer!!!

I have never owned a Boogie before, and I am loving my V so far....

I could have bought either one. I chose the IV because for what I was looking for, it smashed the V hands down. ;)

ryjan said:
If all the mark v does is emulate previous mark amps then we probably wont see a triaxisII or a mark vi with a mark v voicing. Next mesa will put out a "quad recto" with single, dual, triple, and tremo voicings. This is as origional as the inevitable rocky 12 and star wars 16 :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say that the Mark V emulates the previous amp models but instead has its own voicing for channels that can or cannot sound like previous Mark models. If you're looking for a "quad recto" with those voicings, look at the Road King...the closest thing out there to a Mark V.

DudewithFr0 said:
You should have ran it through a stiletto cab instead of a recto. The recto cabs are boomy and do not have a tight low end

Whilst I agree with what you said about the cabs, I doubt that was the issue here. Maybe he just preferred the IV. Others will go the other way I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back