Picked up a Stiletto Ace today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CodeTitan said:
vibeman said:
By the way try the amp with the 90 watt mesa speakers. My bro has that and like the lonestar combo that is what makes the lonestar so warm fat and special. Yeah they say they made the amp with the 30s but its amazing with p90s to my ears

I was actually thinking about buying the head version and using a speaker switcher to use the built in speakers of my Lone Star for both amps. Personally, I think the speakers that come stock with the Lone Star are amazing. I have tried the Lone Star with V30's and I very much prefered the stock speakers. I'm gonna try connecting the Ace to my Lone Star speaker to see how it sounds.

That should sound pretty **** cool!

right now im running my Ace head through a 2x12 cab with a v30 and a g12h30.

its nice, but i think I can get a better sound. that's why i'm gonna go for a Splawn 4x12 cab with greenback g12m very very soon! I'll give a report once I get it :twisted:

I personally think that speaker choice is all up to the users taste. I'm not much of a v30 fan anymore. there is this strange mid spike that gets to me now.

inkwachemis said:

its nice, but i think I can get a better sound. that's why i'm gonna go for a Splawn 4x12 cab with greenback g12m very very soon! I'll give a report once I get it :twisted:

I personally think that speaker choice is all up to the users taste. I'm not much of a v30 fan anymore. there is this strange mid spike that gets to me now.

What about the Boogie Stiletto cab? I'll tell ya, at least with the combo, the design of the cab makes the Vintage 30 sound so right. I'm a speaker swapping guy and I have no intention of replacing the Vintage 30 in the Ace.

SoCalSteve said:
inkwachemis said:

What about the Boogie Stiletto cab? I'll tell ya, at least with the combo, the design of the cab makes the Vintage 30 sound so right. I'm a speaker swapping guy and I have no intention of replacing the Vintage 30 in the Ace.

Man, I wish I actually sat down and tried the combo. I only demoed, and eventually bought the head version. I am a bit curious about just how the combo sounds. I'm sure Mesa knows what they were doing when they made that combo with the v30s.
However, I like the options that having a head has as well. I'm going for a Splawn cab mainly by word of mouth. I'm basically just looking for a well build cab and splawn cabs have a good rep for it. In terms of speaker choice, that has been a really hard one for me. there are so many brands and makes. I'm defintly trying to sway from the v30 sound now. the mids that it puts out really gets to me at times. combine the mid spike of the v30, the upper mid focus of the ace, and the mid heavy guitar equipped with p90s, and it gets pretty middy! not in a good way. kinda like a 'cocked-wah' sound at times.
Thats why I'm going to Greenbacks. a tried and true rock speaker. more warm and smooth, and no ice pick mids. Im really looking forward to hearing how the ace sounds with this.

inkwachemis said:
Thats why I'm going to Greenbacks. a tried and true rock speaker. more warm and smooth, and no ice pick mids. Im really looking forward to hearing how the ace sounds with this.

Yeah, I bet the Greenbacks will sound really good with the Ace. I agree with you...Greennbacks are definately much darker and smoother sounding than V30's. It seams like Greenbacks would be a perfect match for a bright amp like the Ace.

I'm still having a hard time dialing in my Ace. Everytime I do an A/B comparison against my Lone Star, my Lone Star wins. I think I might just prefer the warm and fat 6L6 sound. Oh well...I have 45 days to make up mind if I want to keep the Ace or not. That should give me plenty of time to tweak all the knobs and switches.

CodeTitan said:
inkwachemis said:

Yeah, I bet the Greenbacks will sound really good with the Ace. I agree with you...Greennbacks are definately much darker and smoother sounding than V30's. It seams like Greenbacks would be a perfect match for a bright amp like the Ace.

I'm still having a hard time dialing in my Ace. Everytime I do an A/B comparison against my Lone Star, my Lone Star wins. I think I might just prefer the warm and fat 6L6 sound. Oh well...I have 45 days to make up mind if I want to keep the Ace or not. That should give me plenty of time to tweak all the knobs and switches.

Hmm, seems like that may be the case with your lonestar. man though, nice setup. IMO, having a lonestar and an ace would be having the best of both worlds. give it a chance! oh , and if you havent done so already, a retube really helps alot in my experience. however, if your gonna possibly return the amp, that may not be an option. good luck!

Back