Picked up a Stiletto Ace today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1198

Reaction score
It's the 2x12 combo version. Wow, this thing sounds like a really great Marshall! I'm trying to learn how to dial in my tone with it right now. It's a much brighter amp than my Lone Star, so I have to really turn down the presence and treble. I guess the brightness goes with the Marshall territory. I remember playing a Marshall Silver Jubilee and thinking how bright it was. Any other Ace owners find the amp really bright at first?

Man, I'm really GASsin' for an ACE now!!

I wish....... The Road King II/Roadster had the:

* Lonestar cleans on ch 1 (like they are now)
* Stilletto Ace crunch on ch 2
* and the rest the same as they are now.

I'm starting to like the "British" tones more and more the more I play with them.

Yes it can be bright but as you said, that comes with the territory. It's easy to control and honestly I like it. It also depends a lot on the guitar, my Les Paul sounds perfect through it on one setting but my PRS sounds way too bright in that same setting. I've not been able to pull myself away from the stiletto and my les paul paired together, it's addicting.

Don't be afraid to turn down the gain on the second channel on 'tite' or 'fluid' modes, crank the channel volume and go. It's that elusive middle ground between really overdriven and just barely pushed.. think live zeppelin, tons of sustain and punch but not a lot of gain to take away from the sound of the guitar. I have the 2x12 myself, you're going to abandon all your other gear for at least a month :D

tele_jas said:
I wish....... The Road King II/Roadster had the:

* Lonestar cleans on ch 1 (like they are now)
* Stilletto Ace crunch on ch 2
* and the rest the same as they are now.

Man, if Mesa were to build an amp like that, it would be the ultimate. You would have your Fender, Marshall, and Boogie tones all in one amp.

The one thing that I am missing in the Ace is reverb. Although, my G-Major does sound excellent in the loop.

Platypus said:
Yes it can be bright but as you said, that comes with the territory. It's easy to control and honestly I like it. It also depends a lot on the guitar, my Les Paul sounds perfect through it on one setting but my PRS sounds way too bright in that same setting.

Yeah, my PRS McCarty sounds really bright through the Ace. I'm using the tone knob on my guitar to tame the brightness though.

It's definately a little easier to dial in tones on the Ace compared to the Lone Star.

I'm going to be using the Ace for crunch tones and the Lone Star for clean tones. It's hard to beat those Lone Star clean tones.

CodeTitan said:
It's the 2x12 combo version. Wow, this thing sounds like a really great Marshall! I'm trying to learn how to dial in my tone with it right now. It's a much brighter amp than my Lone Star, so I have to really turn down the presence and treble. I guess the brightness goes with the Marshall territory. I remember playing a Marshall Silver Jubilee and thinking how bright it was. Any other Ace owners find the amp really bright at first?

nice! lots of new ace owners this week. this is really cool

Yea, I found the Ace to be a bit bright. What can help tame the treble harshness a bit is a tube change in my experience with this amp. check out some winged =c= el34s

Yes, my Les Paul also sounds better than my McCarty through my Stiletto Trident. My Strat sounds excellent with it.

Are you saying you like the strat though your stiletto? single coils? I have a dean hardtail with tapable pick-ups and I like it ok running it with half of the humbucker, but it sounds great with the humbuckers.

Bluesman said:
Are you saying you like the strat though your stiletto? single coils? I have a dean hardtail with tapable pick-ups and I like it ok running it with half of the humbucker, but it sounds great with the humbuckers.

I like both, humbuckers more because I'm a humbucker kind of guy but the strats I demoed it with sounded ridiculous too, had that awesome single coil snarl and bite.

On my PRS, one of my favorite settings is the neck coil tapped into the stiletto on diode/bold channel 2.

Bluesman said:
I dont know what the Ace sounds like, but I KNOW the Deuce is everything I needed in an amp!

Think about it in 50W mode, same preamp otherwise (if your deuce is a stage II that is).

I noticed the brightness with my EBMM JP6s but turning the presence almost off works a treat.

My Atom on the other hand needs more presence and treble.

The good thing is that the controls are so flexible on the amp that you can get anything sounding good.

It is a superb amp!

I hate bright myself but really if you turn the presense off and tame the treble the amp isnt bright. Its can sound not bright if you eq correct

By the way try the amp with the 90 watt mesa speakers. My bro has that and like the lonestar combo that is what makes the lonestar so warm fat and special. Yeah they say they made the amp with the 30s but its amazing with p90s to my ears

vibeman said:
By the way try the amp with the 90 watt mesa speakers. My bro has that and like the lonestar combo that is what makes the lonestar so warm fat and special. Yeah they say they made the amp with the 30s but its amazing with p90s to my ears

I was actually thinking about buying the head version and using a speaker switcher to use the built in speakers of my Lone Star for both amps. Personally, I think the speakers that come stock with the Lone Star are amazing. I have tried the Lone Star with V30's and I very much prefered the stock speakers. I'm gonna try connecting the Ace to my Lone Star speaker to see how it sounds.

Back