picked up a 50cal+ markiii and a mesa 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burt reynolds

Reaction score
Went to look at a 50cal+ for sale,and the guy also had a green stripe markiii and a horizontal 2x12 mesa boogie speaker cab with v30's for sale. I got all three for 900 bucks.
I didnt even know he had the other stuff just went to see the 50 cal. When i saw his other gear and the price i said "brb let me go to the bank"

****!! What a steal man! Congrats. Let us know how you're diggin' the tones!

At first i thought the 50 cal+ sounded a little funny. Its a rack mount 50 cal. We tried it through a marshall 1960b,through a 5150 cab, an old peavey sheffield cab,and an orange 4x12,and it just sounded funny,like it was "almost" there.
When we plugged up the horizontal mesa 2x12 it was like a godsend,the 50 cal absolutely screams through the 2x12.

As for the green stripe markiii,im still fiddling with it. I was goofing around tonight,and so far i like the 50cal better,but after reading the markiii manual,and reading guidlines and recommended setttings im going back to the drawing board tomorrow.Im so used to cranking the bass to 10 on every amp i did it to the markiii,but the manual recommends like 2 on the bass,wierd.
I actualy got all the original mesa footswitches for the amps too,1 for the 50 cal and a whopping 3 footswitches for the markiii

Oddly enough the guy i bought the gear from has had the markiii since new,and the 50cal+ since 99,he plays guitar at a local church,and is switching to his carvin x100b.

Hmmm, wonder if the 50 cal+ needs some retubing to bring it back to life. :?: They're no doubt some great amps. I think it should of sounded pretty killer in most of those cabs.

As far as the Mark III, yeah definitely, it's not like a Marshall to crank all the knobs to get it moving. It's actually more like a 'less is more' approach for the sweet spots.

I think you will find it quite the reverse of a Marshall in that the bass will always be low on the early boogies. My IIC+ would sound bad if the bass was over 2 on high gain.

Latest posts

Back