Petrucci gear

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogiebabies said:
It's in the Advil bottle !!!

IMO, if you blend a IIC+ and a MK IV you dont need a Recto.

In your theory about the Mark IV and the IIC+ what charactoristics are you speaking of that differentiate the 2 and make them rectifier sounding together? What does a IIC+ sound like in this theory? What does a 4 sound like in this theory? Would you have enough gain between them? Would you have enough bottom end between them?

Random Hero said:
Strange how people seem to cream over the IIC+ lead tone, yet one of it's most famous users doesn't use it for leads. I've always found that odd.

I noticed that peculiarity as well and still am wondering wtf?

Boogiebabies said:
Random Hero said:
Apparently it's RK for single note stuff, IIC+ for rhythms, IV for leads and LS for cleans.

However, since he's on record as saying he loves Rectos for leads, I imagine he'll use RK Ch3/Vintage for leads too.

Strange how people seem to cream over the IIC+ lead tone, yet one of it's most famous users doesn't use it for leads. I've always found that odd.

You guys just dont get it. A boost on a hot IIC+ gives you that Metropolis Pt. 1 solo tone. The IIC+ and MK IV in stereo can give you a huge, fat and tight tone. There is one effect in his setup that make a world of differenc in tone.
The TC SCF. It's a simple setup because it can be. His touring rig is big flashy rig, but he obviously uses it for a purpose.

Look at the setting on the IIC+. It is set up for a serious grind, bit look a his volume 1 at 5. He has either got more gain on the dial, or is boosting a dirty preamp setting. Also, the know could be off to throw people off.
It's like EVH and all his mystical setting. I would use the IIC+ set to an agressive, yet smooth tone and go out in stereo to the MK IV set to the lead channel scooped and punchy with the mids dipped out. Blended, they can be like a recto tone, but tighter. Lastly, the Ch.3 Vintage on the RK can shred with a smooth sweet top end. It's a great amp as well.
What gear did he use to record 6DOIT? Peruvian skies is a good example of a slightly altered tone over JP's career. All in all, he stil is a living legend. I also live next door to a high school buddy of JP,John Myung and Kevin Moore, so I have to be nice or he will hurt me.

I'm not disputing that the IIC+ can probably be a great lead amp, but the fact is, he doesn't use it as such. That's all I was saying. He's gone on record saying he could never get it sounding as sweet as a Recto or Mark IV for leads.

6DOIT was a Dual Rectifier for The Glass Prison and Mark IIC+ for the rest of the rhythms. I presume it was Mark IVs and Recto Vintage mode for leads.

petrucci wasn't using his mkIIC+s in the last years, but in a recent interview he said he's going to reintroduce them in his rig, since he misses mkIIC+'s lead tone... :wink:

Boogiebabies said:
Random Hero said:
Apparently it's RK for single note stuff, IIC+ for rhythms, IV for leads and LS for cleans.

However, since he's on record as saying he loves Rectos for leads, I imagine he'll use RK Ch3/Vintage for leads too.

You guys just dont get it. A boost on a hot IIC+ gives you that Metropolis Pt. 1 solo tone. The IIC+ and MK IV in stereo can give you a huge, fat and tight tone. There is one effect in his setup that make a world of differenc in tone.
The TC SCF. It's a simple setup because it can be. His touring rig is big flashy rig, but he obviously uses it for a purpose.

Look at the setting on the IIC+. It is set up for a serious grind, bit look a his volume 1 at 5. He has either got more gain on the dial, or is boosting a dirty preamp setting. Also, the know could be off to throw people off.
It's like EVH and all his mystical setting. I would use the IIC+ set to an agressive, yet smooth tone and go out in stereo to the MK IV set to the lead channel scooped and punchy with the mids dipped out. Blended, they can be like a recto tone, but tighter. Lastly, the Ch.3 Vintage on the RK can shred with a smooth sweet top end. It's a great amp as well.
What gear did he use to record 6DOIT? Peruvian skies is a good example of a slightly altered tone over JP's career. All in all, he stil is a living legend. I also live next door to a high school buddy of JP,John Myung and Kevin Moore, so I have to be nice or he will hurt me.

Hey, who is your neighbor. I went to school with Kevin, John, and John too! Same age, same town. I bet I know your neighbor. Small world!

Guitar.com: Let's talk about your gear a little bit. What made you decide to switch from the Mesa C+ amps to the Road Kings?

Petrucci: I wanted something different. I'd been using the C+ amps for a long time, and I love them - they're one of my favorite amps ever. But on this album I wanted - there were a couple reasons, actually. One is that I wanted a more aggressive sound, some more teeth and hair. The C+ is a very tight, focused amp. I wanted something that was a little bit more spread, and a little more mushy. That was one reason. The second was that I wanted to get more of a current sound into the band. The C+ is vintage at this point, and it definitely has a certain sound to it. I wanted something that was going to keep Dream Theater in more of a current musical landscape, as far as being the producer and producing the type of album I wanted to hear. And the third reason was wanting to have the lead sound be more creamy. That's something that you kind of can't get out of a C+, and I always had to switch to a Dual Rectifier or a Mark IV for a lead sound, or I would add distortion or something. But with the Road King, and with the Rectifier series, it automatically has enough creaminess and gain as far as leads. I wanted to have that all in one.

And one more reason is because I wanted something that was overall more versatile. With the Road King amp, you're able to switch power tubes and speakers and do all these different things. And I didn't want to have five different heads in my rack. And there's something about, when you do the type of setup that I have, unless you have a dedicated amp to a dedicated speaker and you're actually switching, you have to use the same power section of the main head that you're using. So if I used the C+ and used a Rectifier for the lead sound, I'd still be going through the C+ power section. But with the Road King I can change, I can add a tube if I want something to have more headroom or be fuller, or have more tightness. Or I can go to a vintage setting if I want it to be more squishy. So it was more versatile in that sense.

mJ

Yup, that's the interview mJ. :D

And, I haven't seen him mention the IIC+'s lead tone either lately, just that he was reintroducing it.

I think people put too much stock in that interview. He is talking specifically about the Train of Thought project. He approached that album from a totally different perspective. DT's goal was to make a modern straight ahead metal album. All of those quotes are coming from this perspective. That interview does not sum up his thoughts on mesa amps as a whole throughout his career, it's his perspective while trying to make a modern metal record. Of course the IIC+ isn't going to be what he chooses since he has used it for so many years. In the context of TOT, the IIC+ isn't what he is looking for, but I believe he has used the IIC+ on many solos in the past. If I remember correctly, all the leads on the second disc of SDOIT are IIC+. I'm not trying to flame, just stating my opinion.

Wes

Latest posts

Back