peavey classic 50 mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Bogner mod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange caps mod

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As someone who used to have a peavey classic 50, and who now has mesa boogie, I can be of assistance.

the best thing I ever did for my peavey was replace the speakers with celestion g12h's and put good tubes in it when it came time for a change(jj's). modding the amp was never something I looked to do, because I knew what for and why this amp was built. You obviously want your classic to sound like a Mesa, or else you wouldnt be posting in a Mesa forum. I can tell you, its not something that you will be able to achieve without spending as much as you would on a good used mesa amp, and even then you wont get very close. I dont want to discourage you, so I will tell you a story.

I bought my classic 50 for 250 dollars on craigslist. A year or so later I traded it strait up for a Laney vc30 combo. A few months later, I traded the Laney for a Marshall JTM30 combo, strait up. And after a month on craigslist trying to trade the marshall, I got an offer to trade for a Mesa boogie 50 caliber head....strait up. and now thats what I have, and for no more money than I originally purchased my classic for. So, be patient, keep playing, and keep searching for your own tone and sound.

Actually I sold this amp to him. The only reason he wanted to mod it is because it has a a shrill treble response and is really really bright. By replacing the resistors and changing it to a lower K then it gives a chunkier response. Also there are caps and resistors to replace that give it less or a twangy sound.

Not saying that its not for the style it was made for... I just sold it to him for 150 bucks and he needed to get some work on the board n e ways. Why not try something new with it you know? Other than a small valve king or a piece of junk solid state that was the best deal he could get for the money.

As far as making it sound like a mesa, thats def a no. I asked him the other day about mesa since he likes the sound of my dr but he was so disillusioned by some of the members on the board and their attitudes (his words) he doesn't want to mess with a mesa. (again thats def leaving the door open from critism because mesas are good amps)

His reason for posting was because i told him I got alot of good info from here. In all honesty, joking or not, some members on this board gave him crap for answers. If he wanted a new amp he would have asked for amp suggestions. If he wanted a mesa there is a section for mesa amps. He got some cocky responses in his opinion so he just got fed up and doesn't want anything to do with the board.

so for the sake of my friend, thats his side of the story. honestly he's low on money and wanted something better than a pod mod box. he doesn't have the luxury of buying mesa.

thanks

is this one of the mid eighties models? or one of the ones that have the chickenhead knobs on top? i've played both, and i can say that i heard two different amps

Chicken head knobs. Can't say what the model number is, but it is the older tweed design.

Personally I think that he has just got the wrong amp for the sound that he wants and there isnt a lot that can be done other than the easy route and get an EQ which is not a fix but will get maybe some useful tones.

If Im not mistaken these amps are getting rave reviews from the Country boys and Im pretty sure Brent Mason is using one and loves it.

Maybe all the thrash boys dont like em but if the most in demand session player on the planet likes them they must have something good going for them,just not the DR sound.

There are a lot of decent cheapo practise amps around these days,maybe a trade in would be the best bet.

Haha, rereading this post is hilarious because he sold the amp for $325. (with bad tubes, wiring issues, and it in terrible cosmetic condition)

I think he come out pretty good, lol

prsman88 said:
Haha, rereading this post is hilarious because he sold the amp for $325. (with bad tubes, wiring issues, and it in terrible cosmetic condition)

I think he come out pretty good, lol

That's good that he made out in the end like i said a few posts above I love my Classic 30 I was a little surprised people seemed a little hostile. (In a sarcastic way) It is the Boogie Board but he did post in a "Non Mesa Boogie amp discussion"

easiest and cheapest route would to have just bought a used line 6 pocket pod or the express pocket pod... even cheaper the tone port gx and use the pc as an amp. he'd have been a lot closer to a sound he was looking for at a fraction of the price.

Wow, such judgmental nonsense!! The Peavey Classic 50 is an excellent amp for the money...you can pick them up used for as little as 200 to 500 bucks depending on condition. They respond well to speaker and tube upgrades. I put an English made Celestion V-30 and a G12H that I got used as well, and re-tubed with a complete Euro tubes rock set. I now have about $550 in an USA made all tube EL84 amp that has a great clean channel that sounds very Vox-ish and responds well to pedals. The overdrive channel ain't the best, but a Fulltone pedal in front of the clean channel along with other pedals makes a very versatile amp. And when I bump it loading it or somebody sets a beer on it I don't have to freak out, and if some how it got stolen after a gig I won't shed any major tears....the goooood amps stay home!! Did I read one of you guys suggest a POD or line 6 or some other solid state digital stuff? You lost credibility with that one.....stop the hate and enjoy playing, what ever ya got!!!

FWIW I will most likely be buying a classic 30 tonight, as a backup to my Express 5:25, which has been broken for a month and is currently back in Petaluma.

JUS said:
FWIW I will most likely be buying a classic 30 tonight, as a backup to my Express 5:25, which has been broken for a month and is currently back in Petaluma.
On a vacation in the Keys 5 years ago I heard a band at Margaritaville. The guitar player was playing through a Peavey Black tweed V30. I went up on break and looked it over and talked to him about it. When we got back home I asked the wife to get me one for my Birthday present. My Wife bought me a Black Tweed Classic 30 and I put NOS tubes and a 16 OHM Celestian V-30, "Tom's tube tamer" and a "tube guard". I bought a clamshell Studio slip cover (from Mike B wifes company) in December of this year. I put plenty of money in mine after I discoverd how good it sounds. I love the tone. I also went on to buy another cabinet for it and loaded it with a 16 OHM Celestian G12H and it got even better running the extension speaker with it.

In my view, This is a serious amp if you do a speaker and tube swap. I will never sell mine. When I use mine it gets respectful compliments from my peers.

i wish you well.

my first tube amp was an old classic 50. I got it for $250 bucks back in 1999. It was a great sounding amp. The cleans were fantastic and the drive was classic and crunchy.

leave the mods alone and get your gain from pedals like a Plexitube or Tonebone for super high gain stuff.
I am seeing fewer and fewer players getting there tone from tubes any more, which makes sense if you need a lot of variety.
when you get bored you just buy another pedal, not a whole new amp.

Latest posts

Back