Patent Pending

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlofengir

Reaction score
When did Mesa receive the patent for the Mark II design? Does that make the Patent Pending amps a wee more collectable?

As far as I know every MKIIA with a "Patent Pending" label at the back of the chassis has been manufactured before August/September 1979.

From October/November 1979 on, they had a label that says "Design and Circuit Patented". My Mark II-A (2/1980) has the "Design and Circuits Patented" label.

igfraso said:
As far as I know every MKIIA with a "Patent Pending" label at the back of the chassis has been manufactured before August/September 1979.

From October/November 1979 on, they had a label that says "Design and Circuit Patented". My Mark II-A (2/1980) has the "Design and Circuits Patented" label.

You are just a wealth of info Daniel! Here's the way I see it, only 249 Mk II 1x15 combos were made, compared to 550 Mk IIB 1x15's produced. If I'm not mistaken, these were the only versions that came in a 1x15 version, the IIC's only had a 1x12 combo.

I already know by the 11/78 date and the serial number that mine is one of the early (#12) Mk II's produced, and that the 60w/100w non graphic eq models are preferred by many. Yeah, the FETRON wasn't popular, but nonetheless a great idea (mine came with it in a baggie tucked in the bottom). I knew as soon as I plugged in that this amp was unlike any Boogie I've ever played; yes, I dialed in some smooth Santana-esque overdrive, it's the clean tones that really blow me away. I find myself plugging straight in, with no desire for any effects; this baby has it's own distinct voice that doesn't need any external coloration, the reverb sounds just fine. Granted, when I run it alongside my Mk V combo, then I'll use my pedalboard to spice things up.

I'd really like to chat with Mike Bendinelli, and Doug West about the history of the early Mk II, BC (Before C) I don't get why C+'s are considered the "Holy Grail" Mk II, when there were 2500 made, not counting the IIC, and Coliseums which bring the total to over 4000 units produced, opposed to slightly more than 2800 Mk IIA's.

I've seen a lot of posts with people complaining about what was wrong with these early II's, but few with praise; these amps deserve their place in the history books.

My pleasure, Zlofengir. By the way, the discontinuation of the Fetron was announced by Randall Smith on a letter dated May 20, 1980.

The clean channel is to die for. Mike B. prompted me to buy a MkIIA and I have never been disappointed.

Regarding how many amps were produced before the IIC and IIC+ (not including 1x15 and Series 300/Colis):

- Mark I: last one I saw was s/n A2259 (9/78); 2,300 units approx.?
- Mark IIA: started with s/n 3000 and last one I saw was s/n 5574 (8/14/80); 2,600 units approx.? (plus approx. 250 units of 1x15 combos)
- Mark IIB: started with s/n 5575 and last one I saw was s/n 10881 (5/83); 5,400 units approx.?

Just keep in mind that the Mark I and the IIA were made in Lagunitas. I understand that, starting with the IIB, Mark amps were made in Petaluma.

Therefore, one more reason for these wonderful amps to be appreciated. Although there isn't a "RCS" marked on the chassis, Randall Smith's mojo permeates this Mark II. I find myself putting in hours in front of this amp with different guitars, because they all sound so **** good through this rig. It doesn't get any better when I add the Mk V into the mix; the combined tones are incredible!

Zlofengir said:
igfraso said:
You are just a wealth of info Daniel! Here's the way I see it, only 249 Mk II 1x15 combos were made, compared to 550 Mk IIB 1x15's produced. If I'm not mistaken, these were the only versions that came in a 1x15 version, the IIC's only had a 1x12 combo.

Ah grasshopper you are close but there were widebody combo IIC's with a 15" EV in it. Rare as they may be....
In fact I have seen a "Big Brother" a MkIIC+ Coliseum widebody combo with the 15" EV speaker.
And now you can too. Pics from an old Mesa IIC below
All 15" widebody combos are heavy beasts!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Regarding the 1x15 combos, I understand they were following a different numeration (separated from the heads and the 1x12 combos) up to the II-B. From that point on, serial numbers for 1x15 combos were merged into the heads and 1x12 combos s/n.

BTW GTS, I remember that catalog; many a day I spent looking at it, lusting... At the time, I wasn't adept enough of a player to need, or deserve a Boogie... But, a boy could dream.

Yes, this 1x15 is a heavy sumbitch, but the tone is worth it's weight in gold! I'd hate to think what it would weigh with an EV 15-L; not that the JBL D130F is exactly a lightweight. I'll be ordering a set of Trak-Loc casters soon; they'll make moving it about MUCH easier!

Can I join this party?!? With as little information as seems to be available regarding the MkIIA, I could talk about them endlessly. Mine was built 11/79. I can spend a whole bunch of time plugging different guitars in and finding different possibilities, wondering why these amps get dismissed by "those in the know"...? Maybe it was the pop when switching channels, who knows? Anyway, 1x12 with a JBL-D120 (I think that's what it is), no GEQ here.

Also, anyone who needs a .pdf of the early Mark II manual, let me know...I just ran across it again yesterday.

Snottyboy said:
Can I join this party?!? With as little information as seems to be available regarding the MkIIA, I could talk about them endlessly. Mine was built 11/79. I can spend a whole bunch of time plugging different guitars in and finding different possibilities, wondering why these amps get dismissed by "those in the know"...? Maybe it was the pop when switching channels, who knows? Anyway, 1x12 with a JBL-D120 (I think that's what it is), no GEQ here.

Also, anyone who needs a .pdf of the early Mark II manual, let me know...I just ran across it again yesterday.

Yes, the more the merrier, Snottyboy! I'm with you, I don't get why these amps get NO love! I've found that the switching pop isn't all that bad, and the reverb is great; and the tones are simply spectacular! As much as I've come to love my Mk V combo, the Mk II is what gets turned on as soon as I walk in the studio; there's just something special about it that I just can't describe. Maybe it's the 15" JBL-D130F which has a completely different vibe from the EV-12L that's in my Mk V; whatever it is, I am addicted to it. Moreso now that I have a volume pedal hooked into the insert jack...

Would love a copy of the manual; one would think it would be readily available online, but alas, this isn't the case for this under appreciated tone machine.

Snottyboy, please do and very welcome.
There is also mark2boogie that very often contributes here to spread the "II-A message".

Please scan the manual and stick it here in the message body in the same way gts did it with the Mesa brochure.

I remember that, some time ago, I asked Mesa to upload this manual to their website (the only one missing, as far as I know) and they did. After a couple of months, they removed it. Could it be that it has some inaccuracies and they prefer not to "advertize" them?

If so, I would have liked to see them corrected and upload the new version of the manual to their website. Pity!

I took my Mark II down to the local music store so my buddy (who also owns a Mk V) could check it out; I wish you guys could have seen the look of pure joy and ecstacy on his face! We sat there for an hour just trying out different settings and guitars, and running it alongside his Blackface Vibrolux, and Mk V; we both came to the same conclusion... I got a badass amp. He had never heard those kinda tones out of a Boogie before; I'm talking about the CLEAN sounds, not the overdrive.

There is something special about the circuit Randall Smith used for the Mk II; these amps have a sound that the B's and C's just don't have. If ever there was a Boogie model that deserves to be reissued, this is IT.

'Nuff said.

b00g13mk2B said:
Here is a link to a pdf of the MKIIA manual on Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-_1sndffLE5cC1xRnpSaUJrbjQ/edit?usp=sharing

I would like to hear the amp with a 15" EVM. I have a Mesa Black Shadow in my 1980 amp. Finishing a custom black limba combo cabinet, should have pictures this weekend.

These are great amps, no doubt.

Many thanks! I've already spotted a few things that aren't quite right; I can see why Mesa pulled it. But, nevertheless, it's AWESOME to have the original paperwork!!

b00g13mk2B said:
I have a Mesa Black Shadow in my 1980 amp.

Which model is that? I know Boogie used the Black Shadow label for a few different speakers. Anyone know what speaker options were available for the IIA? Mine is the JBL-D120 (again, I think that's what it is) and have been curious about trying other speakers.

The Mark I and the II-A are dark amplifiers so I hope the following could be of help.

I am copying this from the "Vintage Mark I manual" (actually it was a letter sent to the new owners). Just keep in mind that this below is written for the Mark I.

SPEAKERS: The standard 12 inch speaker is either a Vega, G-12 or, with the Hundred Watt option, an Eminence speaker designed especially for us. It features a 2 3/4" voice coil 4" paper dome, and a 125 watt rating. It is capable of crisp tones over a fairly large dynamic range and is reliable under heavy conditions. As options we also offer the Altec 417-8H Series II (list price now $179) for $85 from us when installed in your amplifier. It is the most popular and highest recommended for its fat tone, and outstanding reliability at high volume, and is the continuing choice of Santana. For jazz and country players the brighter, more sensitive response of the JBL K-120 might be preferable as used by Garcia or Carlton; it has a clearer, more present sound and has the most versatile range of volume-tone response. So, in summary: the Altec is best for continuous loud playing but loses presence at soft volumes, the JBL is best for all around playing at all volumes and clean or funky versatility; the standard Eminence works well with 100 watt amps and loud playing but again lacks low volume presence and clarity. To get super performance from a Sixty watt model, we recommend the JBL K-120. Gauss and Electro-Voice EVM speakers also sound great in a Boogie and have a generally tauter, more rigid sound than the others. They also weigh more make access to the Boogie's tubes a little hampered. In the 15" series, we prefer the JBL K-130 as having the best balanced tone at any volume, again clearer and brighter but still very fat. For the sound of raw power, especially where the amp is used for heavy rock lead, we recommend the Altec 15 as being the thickest sounding but lacking in versatility. All of the above are 8 ohm speakers. The amplifier likes any load between 3 and 8 ohms --4 ohms is ideal-- so extensions can be used very successfully with any amp. Generally though, no more than three 8 ohm speakers should be used at once for optimum performance. All 100 watt amplifiers now come with 8 and 4 ohm outputs which allow a wide choice of power levels and speaker matching when used with the 100/60 watt switch. Four-12 Marshall cabinets work well as is, especially in conjunction with the Boogie one 12 or one 15. Otherwise for maximum power, where a Boogie top and a Marshall cabinet is to be used, you can usually rewire the cabinet for lower impedance.

Hope it helps
Daniel

Has anybody ever seen a Vega (Cerwin Vega?) or the G-12 (Gauss?) in a Mark I or a II-A?

^^^^^ Wow, great information above! So maybe I have a JBL K120, always thought D120. The Altec Lansing sounds like it would be up my alley as the JBL gets a little piercing at some settings. Maybe an MC90 would be a good fit, too...anyone try one of those in a IIA?

Latest posts

Back