Overdriving a Fender?....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraGary

Reaction score
I recently scored a nice little Fender Blues Jr for a bedroom practice amp. (all tube 15watts through 1x12") As expected, the cleans on this amp are fantastic!
I've tried a few of my Overdrive/Distortion pedals to beef it up with absolutely no luck.
Does anyone have any advice on a Overdrive or Distortion pedal that works well pushing a Fender amp into sounds it isn't designed to get?
Any info is appreciated, Thanx!

what overdrive pedals do you have that you tried?

I don't want to suggest something you've already tried. lol

Turumbar82 said:

So far I've tried my Visual Sound Route66 (I always use the Compressor side of it, but never the Distortion side)......and my Maxon OD808 (a pedal that only shines with my Mesa).....and an old beat up Boss Turbo Overdrive OD2 (complete crap, that actually does OK with this!)

I'm learning that dialing down the Volume on the amp and letting the Master be up on the amp a bit really helps, as trying to overdrive the amp on it's own is dreadful.

Thanx again for any input!

UltraGary said:
Turumbar82 said:

So far I've tried my Visual Sound Route66 (I always use the Compressor side of it, but never the Distortion side)......and my Maxon OD808 (a pedal that only shines with my Mesa).....and an old beat up Boss Turbo Overdrive OD2 (complete crap, that actually does OK with this!)

I'm learning that dialing down the Volume on the amp and letting the Master be up on the amp a bit really helps, as trying to overdrive the amp on it's own is dreadful.

How are you using them? As a Boost? As a distortion (as the primary sorce of gain)?

droptrd said:
UltraGary said:
Turumbar82 said:

How are you using them? As a Boost? As a distortion (as the primary sorce of gain)?

I'm trying to get more Distortion/Overdrive out of it than it's designed to give. (I know it's not that type of amp....just trying to get more out of it than it's awesome cleans)
Volume-wise....it's more than enough for the little bedroom practice amp I need it to be, so no boost is needed. I'm just trying to get some overdriven gain out of it, since I'm so spoiled with my Mesa.

Try some of the Xotic pedals. There are the AC, RC, and BB. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. The BB sounds like what you are looking for.

I would say King of Tone, but chances are you'll encounter massive problems trying to acquire one. the ultimate fender OD for me is a analogman silver-modded ibanez TS-9, preferably with a nice *** compressor.

Radial Plexitube or the smaller version "Hot British" or the version without the tube called "The London"
For more of a high gain American tones they also make Trimode, and Classic.
Love pedal makes a grip of stuff, my fave is the Purple Plexi, and Z-Vex Box of Rock and Box of Metal.
MI Audio Crunch Box, and if you can find one a Butler or Chandler Tube Driver. For a low dollar kick in pants try a Marshall Guv'nor or Jackhammer.
The Radial stuff has the highest gain I have ever got from a pedal though. Good Luck!!!

agreed on the radial stuff, i got a blues junior and my pedals in sequence are:

MXR Dynacomp reissue
Crybaby Wah (true bypass switch installed)
Ibanez tubescreamer (the new hand made one)
Radial ToneBone Pleaxitube

Pretty much covers overdrive all the way to high gain. Just be wary of noise from the compressor when engaging the Tonebone, i was getting noise on Channel 2 since that is normally higher gian.

I use these on my Fender DRRI,

OD: Fulltone OCD
DIST: MI Audio Crunch Box

Love them.

Latest posts

Back