Overdrive Pedals With Roadster (check out the Metal Zone)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratman62

Reaction score
Ok, after trying a bunch of different ones here's what I've finally settled on and it's not just one but three. With the ones I'm using I can cover a lot of sonic territory on my roadster.

Yes, some will argue that you don't need anyof these but what can I say, I like using them and I like the added tone flexability.

I'm currently using a Tube Screamer, Boss SD-1 and a Boss Metal Zone. Here's how I'm using them.

Boss SD-1:
Used as a clean boost (no drive) to tighten up channels 3 and 4). The roadster really likes the clean boost IMO!
Tube Screamer:
Primarily used only with my channel one clean when I want to easily switch between clean and clean + overdrive. The SD-1 one also works well but gives a different/modern vibe.
Boss Metal Zone:
I just picked one up this weekend to try out and really like it! I only use it on my Channel 2 in brit mode. With this pedal I can go from a decent AC/DC type tone (with it off) and kick it in to get a REALLY good Randy Rhodes, Mick Mars type tone. Think Crazy Train and Helter Skelter. I was really impressed.

The only other pedals I have are a Boss chorus for the clean channel and an mxr smart gate at the end of the chain (you'll need it with the Metal Zone).

So with a few pedals I've added a few extra and distinct tones to the four channels that the roadster already had.

Although the TS and SD-1 (among others) are pretty standard pedals for clean boost I would also check out the Metal Zone. There was no way I was going to get this tone out of the roadster with out it. Sure, I got close but this thing nails it.

Hope this helps someone!

I know a lot of the Death Metal crowd use a Metal Zone as a boost in front of a Recto "modern" channel, but this is an interesting other take on using one...

I can't imagine a MZ on the modern channel.. that pedal is soooo shrill and sterile as it is.. mid scooped as hell driving an already mid-scooped amp. :shock:

Yeah I agree,

The modern channel is great the way it is. The MZ didn't sound good added to that or the vintage mode. The way I'm using it it sounds best with a clean or slightly driven channel. With the brit voicing on channel 2 it does nicely for what I need it for.

I don't use it much (depends on the song) but it's a nice option to have in the cover band tool box.

Maxon OD820 all the way.
Just recorded a rough demo tune yesterday with it and it came through great

Latest posts

Back