Overdrive for Lonestar... BB Preamp or Fulltone OCD?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_Rbnsn

Reaction score
After owning my Lonestar classic (1x12) for 1-2 months now I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Currently I'm using channel 1 for clean, channel 2 for distorted rhythm and now I'm looking into an overdrive pedal to push it into lead territory.

I already own a TS808 which sounds okay, but I've heard great things of the Fulltone OCD and Xotic BB Preamp when used with the Lonestar.

Any insight into each of their pros/cons?

Lots of BB fans around here, though I have not tried it. I do have an OCD (v3), which is my go-to stomp when I don't have my LSC around... but I've never really been happy with it through the LSC. Hard to explain, but it sounds, I don't know, artificial through it or something. YMMV. I use a Barber LTD for a really smooth lead boost.

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II through a LSC with excellent results on both channels. The extra boost rounds out the lead options licely and sustains into next week. Depending on how the amp is set, I ususally set the pedal tone setting to around 2, and let the amp / guitar do the tone work

The vintage / mosfet options are excellent too, depending on what you want to achieve. Worth a look :D

Chester said:
I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II through a LSC with excellent results on both channels. The extra boost rounds out the lead options licely and sustains into next week. Depending on how the amp is set, I ususally set the pedal tone setting to around 2, and let the amp / guitar do the tone work

The vintage / mosfet options are excellent too, depending on what you want to achieve. Worth a look :D
Hey Chester, which version of the FD2 do you have? I see one in my area for sale, but it's the old blue one that just has the push/pull volume pot for Comp Cut... no vintage/mosfet options. Just curious. :)

djw said:
Chester said:

Hey Chester, which version of the FD2 do you have? I see one in my area for sale, but it's the old blue one that just has the push/pull volume pot for Comp Cut... no vintage/mosfet options. Just curious. :)

Mosfet / vintage version is the one I use - killer

I have to go with the OCD.
i set the OCD on LP with the drive about 12 oclock. Big fat overdrive esp w/ humbuckers. Cleans up for that hair around the edges jangly SRV/hendrixy rythym tone with single coils or a split.
I am using it on ch 1 for a different drive flavor.
ch 2 i have both gains at 3 oclock for my big lead tone so it doesnt really need more boost
So basically you can have a 3 channel LS ready to rock

My 2 cents.

2010-01-2111-01-23_0021.jpg

Back