Ordered the EV 12LB Black Label

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
I should see it in a week. I cannot wait to stick it in a Thiele cab.
I will test it in an open back IIC+ combo as well and see how shoe stands up to the original.

OOOOFFFFF!!!!!

I'm curious to find out if it is a different speaker (improved) or if pulling them off the market and reintroducing them was just a ploy to jack up the price.

I pulled some spec sheets from EV. The very first 12L was a 300 watt with a 80hz-5000hz freq. This is 300W and 80hz-7000hz like a normal 200 watt 12L. I am sure it will be huge.

Boogiebabies said:
I will test it in an open back IIC+ combo as well and see how shoe stands up to the original.

OOOOFFFFF!!!!!

hey dude....definitely 'kin' expensive uh? Let me know how does it sound.. Have you ever tried Bogner Cubes? I have a couple of those in Italy...They're amazing...Vintage 30s in them. My favourite cab is STILL my ol' '71 Marshall with pre-celestion geeeeebacks.

snowman3000 said:
Boogiebabies said:

OOOOFFFFF!!!!!

hey dude....definitely 'kin' expensive uh? Let me know how does it sound.. Have you ever tried Bogner Cubes? I have a couple of those in Italy...They're amazing...Vintage 30s in them. My favourite cab is STILL my ol' '71 Marshall with pre-celestion geeeeebacks.

Nicko,

My friend, it is nice to hear from you.

Spero che lei si occupa del mio IIC di esportazione +.

Arrivederci.

Ed

axwielding1 said:
Hmmm.. May take awhile to break in! :lol:
Can't wait to hear what you think of it!
ax. 8)

I will run it full out with the mids cranked covered by a blanket in a closet.
i recently bought a NOS OEM EV 12L that was not broken in. It actually sounds very nice and tight. I have an original issue Mesa in one of my IIC+'s and it is well broken and I actually prefer the tone from the tighter speaker.

So, if tighter is better for you, that 300 watt EV should be awesome!
I've been toying with the idea of taking the EV12L out of one of my thieles, and trying a Vin 30. Not that I would sell the EV or anything, but I think maybe the Vin30 would get a bit rounder with a mid heavy tone to offset the other EV..
Anyone with experience on a thiele with Vin 30?
ax. 8)

I had 2 Thiele cabs,both loaded with M.B. 90's. So I swapped out one with a vintage 30....sounded thin,alittle high end shrillyand not as tight on the bottom . At that time I was running a MKIII E.V. loaded combo and a open back matching umbinga 1x12 E.V. cab. I bought the 2 thieles to get more bottom end. It did work...but the Celestion Vin30 swap I did...'thumbs down". I wouldnt pass on swapping yours out if you have the 30 laying around,but if your going to buy one..well,I told you what I found.Oh,I did like the sound of that cab with the 30 in it...when I pulled 2 tubes out of the MKIII and put in only 2 EL34's. But since I didnt play out with the amp in that configuration(only used 4 6L6's in it live) I found it a bit more or a "bedroom"amp thing.
Good luck

I bought a custom ordered Thiele cabinet with a V30 in it. I also found it harsh in the upper mids and not much in the lower register. I replaced it with an MC 90 and couldn't be happier (although I just bought a NOS EVM 12L to try). I like the balance between the Thiele and open back 1/12 cabinets (I also have a Mesa open back 1/12).

Hope this helps,

TW

prs1999 said:
I had 2 Thiele cabs,both loaded with M.B. 90's. So I swapped out one with a vintage 30....sounded thin,alittle high end shrillyand not as tight on the bottom . At that time I was running a MKIII E.V. loaded combo and a open back matching umbinga 1x12 E.V. cab. I bought the 2 thieles to get more bottom end. It did work...but the Celestion Vin30 swap I did...'thumbs down". I wouldnt pass on swapping yours out if you have the 30 laying around,but if your going to buy one..well,I told you what I found.Oh,I did like the sound of that cab with the 30 in it...when I pulled 2 tubes out of the MKIII and put in only 2 EL34's. But since I didnt play out with the amp in that configuration(only used 4 6L6's in it live) I found it a bit more or a "bedroom"amp thing.
Good luck

I agree. The V-30 is just too harsh. I only like them in a 4X12. In a front mount cab they seem to be a bit less spiky than in a front mount.

I like the Umbinga though. Does it sound like Bubinga? :D
Or does it sound like Imbuya? :D

and see how shoe stands up to the original.

I'm interested as well. EV has been bought and sold a bunch of times since the original 12L was manufactured. I'm curious about the quality of construction and performance according to specs.

When EV was really "EV", all of their speakers went through a VERY extensive QC process.

They still have not charged me yet, so I do not know what the deal is.
The guy said I should have it in a week.

As far as QC, I will be able to put at least 120W's through it.
The casting looks the same and ZW made a few imporovements on the
design. I still think it will be better than any Chinese Celestion, even without hearing it. God Bless Arkansas.

Boogiebabies said:
ZW made a few imporovements on the design.
According to who? And even if he did make some changes, who say's ZW knows anything about 'improving an already proven perfect design'? This is not a speaker that needed improvment. It was perfect 'as was'.

oops...thanks for the spelling lesson Boogiebaby
I caught that myself and though....I'm not going to look up how it was spelled.
I do claim to be King of Typos !

prs1999 said:
oops...thanks for the spelling lesson Boogiebaby
I caught that myself and though....I'm not going to look up how it was spelled.
I do claim to be King of Typos !

I thought it was funny, a new species of hardwood. Usually my wife reads over my shoulder an corrects every word. I am horrible. I'm not one of those ball busting chat board arse's with spelling superiority, most of the time. I love this place.

Latest posts

Back