opinions on all around amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor414rce2003

Reaction score
I am in the market for another amp,I haves a .50cal boogie that I love but, its a kind of 2 trick pony(without adjusting guitar volume or tweaking knobs in the middle of a song) my ? is what mesa boogie amp does everything well for short money, thanks in advance for your replys

Hmmmm... a brand new Road King series II in an imbuya chassis :lol:

No, seriously, you get what you pay for. Step it up a notch with the budgeting, go on eBay, and get a Mark IV head ($1000-1400) and a 1x12" cab, preferably thiele loaded with an EVM 12L speaker (about $350ish...)

That'll get you the most versatile amp on the market for the money.

thanks for the replys ,Now I have , probaly real stupid ? ,but is there any electronic differences between say a markIV head and a markIV combo amp ?

Mark IV heads and combos are pretty much the same thing. The only real difference is the size and weight, and perhaps subtle nuances in tone due to speaker and tube selection. The combo is obviously going to be a bit bigger and heavier because there is a larger shell enclosing the chassis and a twelve inch speaker. The head is just the chassis enclosed in a smaller head shell. The amplifiers themselves are going to the the same, remember, with Mesa you can move a chassis from a combo to a head, or vice versa. The only sound differences are going to be due to speaker selection, tube selection, and whether it is an A or B version.

Combos are really heavy... I would definately suggest getting a short head with cab. More portable and more flexible for matching the head with whatever you might prefer... a 4x12, a 2x12 vertical or horizontal, 1x12 open back or thiele...etc

You can find a MarkIV on the Bay for under a grand if you just look and wait.

I got mine for 910

And a MarkIII rackmount ended this morning for 550.

:shock:

If I had the money......

Latest posts

Back