Opinions - Marshall TSL100/TSL601?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi!

I considering picking up one of these amps and wonder if anyone has played/used these? I trust the BB members' opinions more than the typical Harmony Central reviews 8) The 601 is a combo and the 100 is a head. FYI, Thanks!

Matt

Thanks for the info Rabies. I would up picking a 2007 TSL head. Best clean I have heard from a Marshall :D The OD channels aren't half bad but they seem one-dimensional. I'm running it thru a Thiele, which might be the problem. Would love 4x12. but it's overkill and my back isn't getting any younger. Maybe a 2x12 V30 cab might work. Thanks!

Matt

I had a TSL100 for about 8 years. I loved it. Other than the cold solder joints which plagued the early ones ($150 fix) I played it hard and never had any issues.

I played TSL100s for about 3 years straight. Record 1 CD on them as well. Great sounding amps, but of the (3) I owned, all had a lot of trouble with the foot switch circuits, both on the floor and on the head. They were all repairable. In the end, I sacked 'em and went back to Mesa gear as I could not rely on the switching for regular gigging; I was only burned at 1 gig but got gun shy. I played the 601 a couple of times (they were loaners). I never thought they stood in the same league as the TSL100 heads with a 4x12. The heads sound excellent for hard rock and high gain solos, and the cleans are probably amongst the best Marshall has ever done. Nice amps...very nice....

They're probably the worst of the modern tube Marshalls. The DSL is a better amp, especially if you get someone like Jerry at FJA mods to go through it. I never owned one so take this with a grain of salt but several of my friends either have or currently do own them. I always thought they were sort of thin and bright sounding for a Marshall. Give me a 2203/4 or a JMP any day.

Latest posts

Back