ok to all that uses JJ's tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socialparasite

Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread but i know some of guys use JJ's for your dual rect. and other mesa amps. I have a nomad and dual rect. and wondered who has tried the "kits' from JJ's and was it worth it? There are som many kits out there just wanted to know what you tried and what was your results compared to factory tubes. here is the link to the kits to the dual rectos https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=29

Here is the link for the other mesa line up of amps

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=6&PHPSESSID=1ef092e66e44abd3ea507d1e59ea6b84

After reading an article on that site i have decided to try one of the kits listed and if i like it for my recto then my nomad will be next filled with jj's. This set of recitifer tubes holds my attention described below. I like the current sound but wondered what these would really do? tighten it up a little i suppose.

Mesa Dual Rec GZ34 Rectifier Upgrade
PRICE: 28.00
DESC: If you like the Rectifier tube sound but you find the stock 5U4's too mushy then here is the answer! A pair of the JJ GZ34's which are plug and play. These will maintain the Rectifier tone but put the mush on hold.

My overall objective is to get a tight sound but still keep my recto roots in the sound. I read a lot of users use el34's which may be another option. I still want that blow your head off distortion with a little tighter sound. Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the long post. :) Oh yeah i dont play nu metal for the record. I play mostly megadeth, older metallica, pantera, tool sounding stuff, van halen, etc.. I really like blues as well but my nomad takes care of my blues and jazz needs. Oh yeah hank williams jr rules :D

My overall objective is to get a tight sound but still keep my recto roots in the sound.
As told to me by a Mesa rep, replace V30 speakers in the Mesa cab with the Black Shadow Custom 90 speakers. So I did, 2 of them in my 4x12 and it really did tighten up my Recto tone. BTW, I run 2 6L6GC eurotubes 8)

I also have 2 black shadows that i own with my me mesa nomad combo and id not really notice a huge difference. I think a lot of it is the tubes according to a lot of different responses i have read online. I could be wrong though i think overall i am pretty happy with the mesa cab with v 30's . I thought about oredring another cab through avatarspeakers.com since the cabs are cheap and you can select whatever speakers you want. I think the tube change will impact it a lot. If jj's are full of BS then i will be sure to post and let you guys know. I thought there would be more users of the tubes at this forum :(

I think i may have stated something incorrect i think it is more of a mush sound then tight sound. The mush seems a little out of place but still cool at the same time. I turned down my gain from 12 oclock to 9 oclock and that tighten it up a whole lot to almost satisfaction. The mush is gone and it sounds rockin. I still think though i am going to try the jj's from euro tubes and see what happens. I guess i am just curious and seeking the best possiable sound i can gett out of this amp.

i got a high gain kit for my nomad, and to be honsest this thing can sound brutal or sweet and chimey. actually saved me from selling my nomad... if thats any testament!

In my 3-ch Triple:
JJ hi-gain front end kit (higain ECC83 for V1,2,3, regular ECC83 V4, balanced ECC83 in V5.
GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers
Mesa 6L6 STR454 (Svetlanas)

The GZ34's make a HUGE difference for the better, and I highly recommend them for a tighter but still tube-rec sound. Nearly as tight and just as loud as the diode rec's while retaining the sweet cleans and leads of the tube recs.

Since installing theses tubes I have substituted various 12AX7's in the V1 spot (GT12AX7M, EH, Sovtek LPS, Mesa SPAX7, JJ 803) and settled on the JJ ECC803 for its more defined but not harsh mids/highs.

NOTE: If you go with the GZ34's, make sure to tighten up the pin sockets a bit before installing them as the pins are smaller than the stock 5U4's. I was blowing fuses (on standby!) and Mesa tech told me to suspect bad rectifier tube. Tubes turned out to be ok, just loose in their sockets. No further difficulty, and the 2 minutes I spent with a wood toothpick is well worth the improvement.

I've purchased a couple of sets of JJ's both with good result. I bought the low gain kit for my F-50 and a standard kit for a Fender Blues Jr. Both amps cleaned up considerably and the tone improved on both.

The tubes arrived at my house three days after placing the order.

NoGlassNoClass did you say you tighten it up with a tooth pick? Is it hard to do cause i am going to order those exact rect tubes. Might get the exact same tubes as you i was leaning toward that way anyways.

I use a set of high gain JJ's per Bob's kit in my '94 Dual Recto (and standards Sovteks in the power amp). My amp has the perfect tone for me. It's "my" sound. I've had more than one tech and sound man at gigs tell me it's one of the best sounding Recto's they've heard (and they hear a LOT since every band coming through seems to have one or two), and all commented on how tight and articulate it was. One "Mesa-hater" bud of mine was also blown away by it's sound. I have to say that with those JJ's, my clean channel is also my favorite of any of my high gain amps I've owned. It's bright and sparkles.

Yeah I just shoved a toothpick down into the tube base next to the metal sockets to squeeze them in a bit. Be careful not to break it off in there. It would be much easier to use a metal pick of some type (a dentist's pick or even a small nail) but if you do, make certain the amp's capacitors are discharged first !!

To discharge caps, unplug power cord, turn power and standby switches on (like you were playing), wait a few seconds before poking around in there. Its a good idea to keep one hand in your pocket...that way if the amp does bite you, the current cant flow across your chest! Better yet play it safe and use a wooden or plastic tool.

You dont have to close the sockets up very much...the diff in pin size is very slight.

thanks for the advice guys cant wait till payday (Tuesday). I am going to get them expressed to me if i can i hate waiting

Latest posts

Back