ok thoughts ,tips,anything on the mk III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you could go to the web site and download the manual - that should cover many of the FAQs.

Start with the controls at:

Volume - 7
Treble - 7
Bass - 3 (Pull Shift to add fatness to single-coils)
Middle - 5
Master - 10 (No, just kidding, but you can use the Pull Deep for single-coils as well)

The higher you run the Volume, the more gain you will get out the Lead Drive.
There are really TWO Master Volume controls, because they interact. Which ever knob is set HIGHER (Master or Lead Master) will determine the final loudness.
So, if you set the Master very low, like about "2", you will be able to set the Lead Master higher to make the Lead sound louder.
Conversely, if the Lead Master is set fairly low, increasing the Master will also increase the Lead loudness.
Don't freak out if you can't see the tubes "glowing", or if one tube seems to glow more than another.
Tube "glow" means very little. The exception is if one tube (usually one of the large power tubes) is really really glowing very brightly compared to the one right next to it. That may be a sign of a tube about to blow, commonly called "red-plating".
If that happens, or you hear any drastic change in the sound, just put the amp in standby.
If you flip the amp off standby and get no sound at all, flip it back to standby before too long. Then check to see if you forgot to plug the head into the cab. Happens all the time, but this is a major no-no.
NEVER run an amp without a speaker plugged in.
It will break. Maybe not a Mesa, they are tough.
But better safe than smoking amp.
Use the standby switch religiously. ALWAYS start with the standby switch in the DOWN position. Flip the POWER switch UP, then wait 39 seconds or so for the tubes to warm up a bit before taking the amp off standby.
The power tubes will last a whole lot longer, and my experience is the amp sounds better after I've played it for an hour. Which is good because after an hour, my playing begins to go in the opposite direction. :D

You got an outrageous deal on an amp with matching cab, in blonde tolex no less! That gear is in fantastic shape for its age. You may want to think about taking the head to a certified Mesa tech in your area to have the amp head gone through, because sometimes old amps need a tune-up, especially if they haven't been played a lot.

As a reward for being so helpful, just call me first if you decide to sell it.

hey thanx-went and checked out the manual-very helpful-put it all to suggested settings and sounds great,ya this is quite a step up from what i/ve been using-fender cybertwin and a crate v50,tho for a ss the cyber twin was better than the full tube v50-but this mesa boogie,just a dream.

The only thing I'd add to that is regarding the Rhythm 2 (R2) mode: on a stock Mark III, the relative volume of the R2 mode is fixed compared to the R1 (clean) mode. It's a well-known problem that Mesa's choice of R2 volume level is too low for most players. Fortunately, there's a simple and common mod that gives you a knob to control R2's level. Just search for "mark iii r2 mod" on Google, or this forum, and you'll find lots of info about it. If you do wind up sending it to Mesa for a tune-up, they can do it for you too. I highly recommend getting it done, because R2 is a great sound as long as the volume level is where it should be. I love R2 on my purple stripe.

Mark III amps have that awesome punchy tone that reminds me of the extreme mode in the Mk V. In your face loud without being overly harsh.

Don't know if this will help but...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.mac.com%2Fmesaboogie%2Fdot.html&ei=I1vCT8fGGMjJ6gHX9dCbCg&usg=AFQjCNEakkSdXBlB-Jqa5b9LpgXRmFtAWA

Whoopysnorp said:
The only thing I'd add to that is regarding the Rhythm 2 (R2) mode: on a stock Mark III, the relative volume of the R2 mode is fixed compared to the R1 (clean) mode. It's a well-known problem that Mesa's choice of R2 volume level is too low for most players. Fortunately, there's a simple and common mod that gives you a knob to control R2's level. Just search for "mark iii r2 mod" on Google, or this forum, and you'll find lots of info about it. If you do wind up sending it to Mesa for a tune-up, they can do it for you too. I highly recommend getting it done, because R2 is a great sound as long as the volume level is where it should be. I love R2 on my purple stripe.
- so the r2 don/t go loud enough? i have/nt got to put it in band situation yet-my plan was just go with the 2nd rythm{r2?} and the lead and no pedals-maybe i/ll have to rethink that until i get the mode-really don/t use pure clean much,um got some work to do practice wendsday and then 4 gigs ,but sure this amp will be more than fine as is-but would love to get the best it can be.

have another ?-when using in half power really can/t hear much difference-i/m assuming again cause i have not been very loud yet-hard to do here at house-any thoughts on half power??wish it was the simul-thing class A.

If you plan to just stick to R2 and Lead, then yeah, you're fine. No mod necessary. It's when you want a good Fendery clean on R1, a mid-gain Plexi crunch on R2, and searing Boogie high gain on Lead that the mod becomes important. The 60 watt mode should only be a little quieter than the 100 watt mode. Even on a simul-class model, the 15 watt "class A" mode is not really much quieter than the full 75 watts. I'm not surprised you don't hear much difference.

For the loop, get a low impedance volume pedal, like the Ernie Ball 6181 VP Junior 25K, or the Morley L'il Alligator.
The pedal becomes a foot controllable Master volume.
Use the high impedance 6180 if you want a volume pedal between the guitar and the amp input.

thanx-and thanx everyone for all the insight-really know alot more than i did before i came here,plan on visting here alot.

dearlpitts said:
u ever hear of putting a volume pedal in the back? read somthing about that.

I have a little Danelectro fish & chips EQ i bought for $15 that i put in the loop and set for a volume boost for leads. I just keep the EQ flat with the level up a bit. Works great. I also use it to fine tune my tone a bit more when recording. It's kinda like having some extra sliders for the graphic EQ... i can boost up the lows and low mids for a big, convincing recto-ish tone if i need it, or bring up the high mids to get more of a marshally tone, or i can scoop the **** out of it for some death metal. Very useful and suprisingly quiet little pedal. Best $15 i ever spent.

As a reward for being so helpful, just call me first if you decide to sell it.[/quote]
well if my bass player quits and i become the new bass player-which at moment i am-may be giving u that option .

{wil now singer might be guiting this just may be going up for sale }
MrMarkIII said:
Well, you could go to the web site and download the manual - that should cover many of the FAQs.

Start with the controls at:

Volume - 7
Treble - 7
Bass - 3 (Pull Shift to add fatness to single-coils)
Middle - 5
Master - 10 (No, just kidding, but you can use the Pull Deep for single-coils as well)

The higher you run the Volume, the more gain you will get out the Lead Drive.
There are really TWO Master Volume controls, because they interact. Which ever knob is set HIGHER (Master or Lead Master) will determine the final loudness.
So, if you set the Master very low, like about "2", you will be able to set the Lead Master higher to make the Lead sound louder.
If that happens, or you hear any drastic change in the sound, just put the amp in standby.
If you flip the amp off standby and get no sound at all, flip it back to standby before too long. Then check to see if you forgot to plug the head into the cab. Happens all the time, but this is a major no-no.
NEVER run an amp without a speaker plugged in.
It will break. Maybe not a Mesa, they are tough.
But better safe than smoking amp.
Use the standby switch religiously. ALWAYS start with the standby switch in the DOWN position. Flip the POWER switch UP, then wait 39 seconds or so for the tubes to warm up a bit before taking the amp off standby.
The power tubes will last a whole lot longer, and my experience is the amp sounds better after I've played it for an hour. Which is good because after an hour, my playing begins to go in the opposite direction. :D

You got an outrageous deal on an amp with matching cab, in blonde tolex no less! That gear is in fantastic shape for its age. You may want to think about taking the head to a certified Mesa tech in your area to have the amp head gone through, because sometimes old amps need a tune-up, especially if they haven't been played a lot.

As a reward for being so helpful, just call me first if you decide to sell it.
and

I respect that some guys have a few issues with the Mark III but for me it's the greatest sounding amplifier I've used to date. The fact I'm saying that after only owning one for a couple of days is a testament to it's greatness

I'm a metal guitarist, a closed minded headbanger (boo-hoo-hoo) and tonally, this amp has everything I could ever hope for and then some. I honestly can't thank everyone here enough for recommending it to me

I'm using a Mark III simul-class "green stripe". It's a match made in heaven.

Now I have this, I'll never look back.

Val666 said:
I respect that some guys have a few issues with the Mark III but for me it's the greatest sounding amplifier I've used to date.

I agree. I've owned quite a few Mesa/Boogies, including some later, more expensive, and presumably more sophisticated models, yet I keep coming back to Mark IIIs.

benjamin801 said:
Val666 said:
I respect that some guys have a few issues with the Mark III but for me it's the greatest sounding amplifier I've used to date.

I agree. I've owned quite a few Mesa/Boogies, including some later, more expensive, and presumably more sophisticated models, yet I keep coming back to Mark IIIs.

I can understand why!

I've been having a blast with this thing, I've spent hours dialling in different tones and experimenting. I've even used it's direct out into a PC (with cabinet impulses) and it still sounds great. Whether it's going through it's 1x12 combo speaker or a 2x12 or 4x12, it still sounds amazing to my ears.

I can't believe this amp is older than me hahahaha it sounds super modern, super aggressive. I even tried a few of Flemming Rasmussen's settings from his Metallica notes and it's the closest I've got to the AJFA sound (http://web.archive.org/web/20061214024121/http://www.sweetsilence.com/GearSlutzNotes.htm)

There isn't a single thing about it I dislike. Sure, it's kinda annoying having the presence and reverb knobs in the back but it's no big deal. I don't care that it has shared EQ either, I only use one channel

I think tonally, this thing is every headbangers dream.

Val666 said:
Sure, it's kinda annoying having the presence and reverb knobs in the back but it's no big deal.

I never used the built-in reverb, to the point that when I rehoused my current Mark III from a combo to a rack, I removed the reverb tank completely.

And while it would be nice to have the presence in front, that's more of a set it and forget it knob for me. Mine is at 4, and that's where it's been for two years. :lol:

Val666 said:
I don't care that it has shared EQ either, I only use one channel

Same here. If I needed three channels, I'd get another Mark IV. As it is, I live on the lead channel of my Mark III. I roll my guitar volume back for cleaner sounds, and for leads I hit a patch on my Nova System that gives me a little delay, a little reverb, and a 6db boost. Works like a charm.

hahahahaha awesome! I'm turning mine into a rack-mount too (because it's just a ***** to carry around) so I'll probably do the same as you (ditch the reverb, I'd never use it either)

I've ordered one of these, I'm told it's the right one for the Mark III http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/kit-rksl.html

Thank's again for suggesting this amp to me man, it's blown me away \m/\m/

Back