ohmage....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
Ok, so, I have 2 independently wired 8 ohm 75 watt celestion speakers that are run in stereo in my Marshall combo, and I just got a stereo to single 1/4'' cable, and was wondering what the ohm's would be when i plugged both of these speakers into the stereo end of the cable and ran the mono end into my Triple Rectifier?? Thanks for the help guys.

-AJH

Are you saying that you bought a splitter type mono cable? or an actual stereo cable that splits out to two mono plugs?

MesaENGR412 said:
The cable goes from 2 stereo female 1/4'' plugs to 1 male 1/4'' plug

-AJH
It sounds like a simple splitter, where the tip of the male end, connects to the jack for the tip in both female ends, and the sleeve likewise (in which case, it's really not 2 stereo female end--it would be two mono, making stereo). If that's the case, this is a parallel connection which results in a 4 ohm load.

I hate to ask the obvious, but... is this a speaker cable--not a shielded cable of some type? You should only be using speaker cable, of course.

Yeah, sounds like you are creating a parallel wiring with a 4 ohm load to me but I would be wary of the cable because if it is not heavy enough it may cause undue harm to your head. Were your output jacks modified and can your head accept a stereo cable? I thought that the output jacks were all mono jacks. You might consider this before trying to run your amp like this. You might not get the connection you are looking for. Your mono jack might only see one of the side of the stereo tip and you would only be putting one cab in with a less than optimal connection or worse an intermittent 2 cab connection. I would just stick with a standard cable to each cabinet unless it is mono to two mono jacks. But, you said it is stereo so I wouldn't mess with it.

Latest posts

Back