oh the agony...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t2mike2

Reaction score
So a week and a half ago i was going to get an Axe-Fx or a Mark V. I chose axe-fx.... BIG MISTAKE.

So i return it, it arrives, and fractal audio tells me they refunded my money WED. I ask the bank why i dont have it, and they tell me it takes 3-5 days for the money to show up in my account!

This frustrates me because on monday my local music store calls me to tell me they got a mark v in stock (combo). Fortunately they let me use my card to put money down on it and hold it.

Anyhoo my money still isnt in my account so now i have to wait all, weekend possibly more, knowing.. that my mark v is sitting behind the counter. Calling my name....

i dropped by the store today to put a little more money down. And it was just so hard...

so close..... yet so far away.....

(sings it to self)

t2mike2 said:
So a week and a half ago i was going to get an Axe-Fx or a Mark V. I chose axe-fx.... BIG MISTAKE.

So i return it, it arrives, and fractal audio tells me they refunded my money WED. I ask the bank why i dont have it, and they tell me it takes 3-5 days for the money to show up in my account!

This frustrates me because on monday my local music store calls me to tell me they got a mark v in stock (combo). Fortunately they let me use my card to put money down on it and hold it.

Anyhoo my money still isnt in my account so now i have to wait all, weekend possibly more, knowing.. that my mark v is sitting behind the counter. Calling my name....

i dropped by the store today to put a little more money down. And it was just so hard...

so close..... yet so far away.....

(sings it to self)

Can I ask what is was about the Axe-fx you didn't like.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely choose a Mark V over one of those as well. But I have only seen over the top positive reviews of the it, so I am curious.

Hi. Yeah, I,d like to know what you thought about it as well.

The naysayers will pipe right up with, "no way that you could even begin to scratch the surface of AX-Fx that quick, it,s too deep, etc, etc.".

I,m with both you guys though, Mesa all day long! This may be the longest weekend of your life man! At least you know yours is at the store waiting for ya. I have,nt even gotten the call yet!

Here is the deal with the axe-fx.

Is it a really good FX Unit? Yes

Can it make good sounds? Yes

Does it sound just as good direct as a good tube amp mic'd? No , unless you suck at hearing detail in a recording.

Does it truly different amp sounds? No , unless you think new eq constitutes a new amp model.

You know how different amplifiers are like champagne? Different flavors, different consistency, different bubble size, different grain in the distortion.

Well with the axe its like cliff has figured out how to get ONE type of b grade chamapagne accurately recreated.
Then he adds food coloring in the form of layers of EQ, and calls them different amp models.

To my ear none of the different distorted amp models truly sounded different. It just sounds like the same basic distortion with which someone then made drastic EQ changes to. But nothing about the distortion truly changes. Changing amp models felt exactly like just playing with the eq.

--

Second i think his cab/mic modelling is seriously lacking, you never really get the sound of it being real. In your face, in the room with you.

And im not comparing this to playing a real amp in a room, but to recording one. Before i got it, i recorded my VHT mic'd up. Just all amp no fx.

Then when i got the axe-fx i pulled up the vht model (which sounded exactly like the mesa models) and tried to record a somewhat similar sample.

What i heard was like a chariccature of my sound. No realism, the grain was all wrong. There is a certain ALIVE dynamic to a real mic'd recorded sound , and excitement if you will. Its not there. in the axe.

There were also none of the inbetween magic tones, that you can get with say a mark III clean channel.

I know good cab modelling can be done digitally. I think axe would be served well if they used line-6's reverb algorithms, which to my ear are far more spontaneous and realistic.

Also when i dialed up any high gain sounds on the axe-fx it lost tons of clarity. I couldnt hear notes i could hear clearly on my bugera 333xl.

The clean unless slatherered with fx, was bland and had no bounce what so ever.

In the end, i realised i had paid 1500 for an ampmodeller, and i truly liked the sounds of my old 300 dollar Digitech Gnx3000 better. At least that unit sounded like maybe 4 distinct amp models with eq applied, and they all felt and reacted great.'

The axe is basically an overpriced software amp modeller. Not a replacement for a real amp by any means. My bugera slays it tone wise.

----

In the end i think there are two guitarist, one set who are focused on the notes played. And those to whowm the tone of the notes can be more important than the actual notes played. The former are likely not to notice the fine details of the axe sound. They hear a general eq change and say, it sounds just like the real thing!

Personally im one of those folks who would rather hear grandma play an e minor chord with a beautifully glassy in between sound, or big truck driving through your house distortion tone, than hear a virtuoso fire off eruption on a old crate solid state.

tone means alot to me, and to my ears the difference is unacceptable.

Now if the axe-fx was 500 dollars? I'd say it would be whole heartedly worth it. But for 1500? 500 more and you can have one of the best amps ever made.

And for 219 bucks you can buy a b stock gnx-3000 that is JUST as good imho as the axe-fx.

And to all the bums who say you have to spend forever tweaking to understand what it can do...

A) I DO understand it, its quite EASY to use.
B I didnt want ALL of what it could do. I wanted one thing. I DRY no fx cept reverb, basic amp tone.
that doesnt take lots of tweaking in the axe-fx world. It takes an amp cab and reverb module. And boom thats what the axe sounds like. That BASIC tone that isnt compensated for by cheesey half second delay and 8 phasers just inst there. but once again , it may take weeks to create fancy tones, but it takes 5 MINUTES to pull up a basic tone, and that basic tone is lacking compared directly to a basic recorded amp tone ( which i threw up a cheap behringer mic randomly infront of my cab for).

Ok.... done lol!

~mike~

btw if that offended anyone, i apologize , its 7 am , i just woke up , and my filter is OFF. lol

i think as an fx unit the axe-fx is divine, yet still overpriced . But you must consider i think stuff like eventide while top of the line, is also overpriced.
~mike~

HOT ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just checked my account, the money got put in today on a SATURDAY!

HOT **** IM GETTING MY MARK V TODAY BABY!

oops sorry, the "brother" in me comes out when i get excited over amps...
~mike~

t2mike2 said:
HOT ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just checked my account, the money got put in today on a SATURDAY!

HOT **** IM GETTING MY MARK V TODAY BABY!

oops sorry, the "brother" in me comes out when i get excited over amps...
~mike~

Congrats!

Know that I am living vicariously through you. Pretty much through all you guys getting the Mark V.

Someday I will get mine. Alas today is just not that day!

Well i got it... barely could fit it in my little ol toyota tercel.

First impression.

Fired it up and got nothing but hissing sound. Eventually i realised it was because i had the footswitch plugged in but the amp set to a single channel.

Finally got sound out of it after realizing the loop was switched in..

Sound impressions?

Clean = Fantastic, except A it does doesnt match the mark III clean imo, and B the presence control pretty much does absolutely nothing.
Im scared its broken somehow, its a pretty rough pot to turn too, maybe the pot is busted. Still by far my fav channel.

Does anyone elses presence barely work on this channel?
Also there is barely any reverb level, barely audible, maybe these two problems are somehow connected.

Crunch= Not bad, but really too dark in mark 1 mode and yet somehow buzzy on the high end.

High gain = Mark 4 mode is my fav. Mark 2 isnt as smooth. Once again the high end here is a lil buzzy and bass a lil muddy. The midrange sounds fatastic however.

Im gonna keep tweaking but so far i am dissapointed.

To top it all off Mesa forgot to put a Manual in my box!

----

I just compared it to my bugera 333xl. And its a toss up. Clean the mesa definitely wins..
But dirty, honestly the bugera completely pwns the mesa. Now granted i have swapped tubes, baised, and used a 12at7 where i wasnt supposed to in the bugera to get it to sound so fatastic. But man... i cant beleive my 475 dollar chinese bugera sound better in the high gain dept.

Could be just sucky tubes in the mesa. ill swap out V1 with a tungsol and report back.

other notes...
10 watt mode sounds lame, the amp sounds much better in 45 or 90 watt mode. And the volume diff isnt much.

the footswitch seems pretty much awesome.

~mike~

I've got to chime in here in reference to the "AXE"..
I just sold my Ultra this past Wednesday.. I wasn't using it in a FRFR set-up.. I was going SS poweramp into (2) 2x12 cabs..
My typical "patch" was amp block, EQ, and maybe some reverb or delay..
You hit alot of "nails on the head" with your dislikes!!..
The day I made up my mind to sell it (the Ultra), I ordered my Electra-Dyne..
Like the people on the Axe forum say, "the AXE is not for everyone"..
Evidently WE are 2 people it wasn't meant for..

Jason 8)

did you buy it from a Mesa dealer?? My dealer went through it and set the settings to make sure I got signal...also checked the tubes and played it...you could be having preamp tube problems or who knows...I would have a mesa dealer look at it

I think your review of the Axe FX is spot on. I had it for months and never could get the tone to be as good as my amps. And I tweaked man. Used to sit in a rehearsal room and AB it at concert level with my miced amps though PA speakers and everything. I gave that thing many chances in every possible way. Sorry to hear you are not digging the Mark V.

FWIW if you ever make a post like this on an Axe Fx forum you will get your head handed to you. It is the Cult Of Cliff.

Uncle Muscles said:
FWIW if you ever make a post like this on an Axe Fx forum you will get your head handed to you. It is the Cult Of Cliff.
+100,000
LOL..
You don't even have to say anything negative about the product and people start going crazy..
Especially with the "elders" on that forum.. WOW.. I know there are "fanboys" of every product, but ****!!! :mrgreen:

Lol you guys arent kidding. Actually i did make a post that was about 1/10 th of this and boy did the pain ensue ! lol But i didnt really care cuz i was moving to the mesa fold. But you guys are right. Especially about the elders thing. Whats funny is when people have complaints they basically have to like praise cliff before they are allowed to say anything.

Its like, oh great cliff, maker of the best amp, with whowm i am completely satisfied... except... and dont get me wrong but......

--

anyhoo on the mark v,

i think randall muffed up the crunch channel. I realised that presence at 0 makes the lead channel much much better. Very good in fact.

And the clean is not as good as a mark III but still very good. the mark III however is the reason i even got this amp. It had this inbetween clean sound that had always pretty much been the sound in my head. Guess it will remain that way, cuz i sure as hell aint selling this thing at a loss liek i did my VHT.

~mike~

Oh and the variac switch makes the tone overall better, but it kills the reverb volume on the clean channel...
~mike~

Uncle Muscles said:
I think your review of the Axe FX is spot on. I had it for months and never could get the tone to be as good as my amps. And I tweaked man. Used to sit in a rehearsal room and AB it at concert level with my miced amps though PA speakers and everything. I gave that thing many chances in every possible way. Sorry to hear you are not digging the Mark V.

Cult of Cliff EXACTLY how i would describe it. (for the record cliff can kiss mine, dude tried to scold me over the phone for not following proper return procedure, and said he should have charged me a 10% restocking fee, all because i didnt know i needed an RMA number)

FWIW, a few friends of mine that own the Axe get KILLER tones from their units. I trust their ears and their playing ability. The unit has me curious, but i would need to try one first.

Wow i just realised mesa didnt include a slip cover with my amp either! And the tube chart on the inside of the amp is wrong, it says there are 6 pre-amp tubes when there are 7 ! Wow i definitely got the made on friday model (serial number 200 ).

~mike~

t2mike2 said:
Wow i just realised mesa didnt include a slip cover with my amp either! And the tube chart on the inside of the amp is wrong, it says there are 6 pre-amp tubes when there are 7 ! Wow i definitely got the made on friday model (serial number 200 ).

~mike~

lol Fake???

waa?

Dont believe me?

then i suppose ill need a picture of the mark V

that , a footswitch and casters is all i got.

----

my dealer said they never opened the box, so they'll call mesa and see what the deal is.

~mike~

Back