OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These settings have been blowin my head off lately. Just enough good metal rhythm scoop with just enough mids for fire breathing solos. (Best to use an OD pedal to boost mids for solo's on these settings). Key is to turn the mids up and equalize out the treble and bass knobs pretty much evenly. And these settings sound best through Recto 4x12 with V30's and at SHOW volume with amp master around 11:00. You can always turn the Presence knob up more to depending on what guitar your using.

87FE047E.jpg

I been on the Mark V tone quest lately, this happens about every couple months. It's where jamming with different bands and your tones don't work as good as they did the last band. Been playing in a classic rock cover band now and all I see to use is channel 2 (All modes) in Variac power. It just seems that ch 2 and 3 sound better in variac power to me, makes everything a little smoother. But lately mainly been using channel 2 in edge mode with variac power and MKIV mode for leads.

fdesalvo said:
I'm finding lots of great bedroom tones here, but nothing that's really going to be impactful within the overall band mix.

Ask and ye shall receive. I've been struggling since I've owned the thing trying to find great Strat settings, usually just giving up and going back to my LP. The problem has always been thin, ice-picky tones. But I think I finally nailed it. Here are gig-approved settings for Strat. The main thing I discovered for live playing is NO GRAPHIC EQ ON ANY CHANNEL. At least with the stock combo--can't speak for anyone running any other config.

This is with a '91 Am Std strat with Fralin Blues Specials, playing a variety of covers from clean plinky funk to hard rock. It's still pretty bright sounding so I have to ride the tone control on the guitar, usually full up for Ch1, and backed off for 2 & 3. Note the low treble and presence settings--I think you simply just can't dial it completely out of this amp. Full power; Ch3 pentode.

mesastrat.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the botched image first time around.

Anyone happen to have what they feel is a spot-on Iommi Tone? Obviously it's not going to be perfect without all the nuances that really made up his tone, but I would like see some input on it from other Mark V users.

I have some functional Sabbath tones, I mean they work well enough, mainly for songs like "Into The Void" and "Lord Of This World". I guess I am mainly having trouble getting a good tone for songs like "War Pigs" and "Fairies Wear Boots". That real grainy grind to the tone is really what I feel like I am missing I guess.

I'm pretty sure the really grainy grind is more from the speakers and recording methods than the amp, so it may be difficult to dial it in.

If you listen to modern Iommi his guitar tone is more in line with that of a '90s grunge band and doesn't have the ratty artifacts. The dudes on the Iommi forum attribute it to the use of modern recording techniques.

screamingdaisy said:
I'm pretty sure the really grainy grind is more from the speakers and recording methods than the amp, so it may be difficult to dial it in.

If you listen to modern Iommi his guitar tone is more in line with that of a '90s grunge band and doesn't have the ratty artifacts. The dudes on the Iommi forum attribute it to the use of modern recording techniques.

That's pretty interesting, but it makes sense. His tone now really isn't quite like those first 4 Sabbath Albums of course, but I think it still has that signature Iommi high-end sizzle.

BrownieD2W said:
screamingdaisy said:

That's pretty interesting, but it makes sense. His tone now really isn't quite like those first 4 Sabbath Albums of course, but I think it still has that signature Iommi high-end sizzle.

True. I used to own a Laney GH100TI. I felt it had a lot in common with the "Mesa" sound despite being an EL34 based amp, but it could've been that I was using it through a Recto 4x12 and that the cab was really flavouring the sound. The GH100TI has a treble boost circuit built in that Iommi said was based on the Dallas Rangemaster circuit that he's been using to boost his amps since the early days.

The Dallas Rangemaster is basically an early overdrive. British amps at the time were really dark and Brit rockers were trying to get the sounds they were hearing in American recordings using Fender amps. The Dallas Rangemaster was a treble booster, although in reality it's more of an upper mid boost and it was common to mod them to adjust the frequency curve. It's a two transistor unit that will start as a mid boost that will eventually produce distortion as it's cranked up. The distortion produced is more vintage and fuzzy, lacking the smooth character of the later Tubescreamers (FYI - 2 transistors=Range Master, 3 transistors=Fuzz Face).

I've tried using treble boosters off and on over the years. One of the best IMO is the Analogman Beano Boost. I don't generally use them because it messes with the feel of the amp in a way I don't really like.

On another note, Iommi's been using cabs loaded with G12T-75s for decades. They have a lot more top end than V30s, with a more aggressive bite and an interesting chunk when palm muting that V30s don't have. I'm not a big fan of them because they're too scooped and ice picky for my tastes, but if you're after that brighter, raspier sound that Iommi has you might dig them.

screamingdaisy said:
BrownieD2W said:
screamingdaisy said:
On another note, Iommi's been using cabs loaded with G12T-75s for decades. They have a lot more top end than V30s, with a more aggressive bite and an interesting chunk when palm muting that V30s don't have. I'm not a big fan of them because they're too scooped and ice picky for my tastes, but if you're after that brighter, raspier sound that Iommi has you might dig them.

Interesting suggestions SD

My cabs are loaded with 75's. They are well broken in, and complement the mid range bump I get with Mesa's. It smooths out the fizzle and reduces the scoop to near zero, but then I run mids high compared to most settings I see on this board

The closest Iommi sound I get is in MK1 with gain around 2pm (EQ to taste as there are too many variables between rigs / guitar pups etc), boosted with the FD2 set around 3pm. Great growl and grind, with the 75's keeping things grainy enough to notice. I also run GT EL34 M's now, which have a soft mid range response and nice recessed trebble to keep the 75's in balance. Works for me

I apologize in advance for my laziness, but 15 pages of posts is a little much to look through in the hopes I'll find what I'm looking for.

I've come in search of tone both for live settings and recording through a mesa stiletto 4x12 with a sm57. I've found that recording a good tone is much different than finding one (or 3) that work well in live situations.

The genera I play in is mainly "modern rock" in both my originals and covers we do. Think Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Red, 10 Years, Deftones, Three Days Grace, etc. Ya some of those are quite different but I'm not looking for exacts, just something that fits. Live I need to get all 3 channels working together without tremendous variations or volume jumps between them when switching. Clean and thick -> Clean-ish with a little crunch/edge -> Full on thick, grinding distortion.

TIA

All the links I've found for the Mark V Editable Settings PSD are dead, including the one on the Petrucci forum...

Could anyone send this to me, or maybe upload it to zshare, dropbox or similar? Address is jedens at gmail. I'll upload it for others once it's sent to me.

Thanks!

farren said:
All the links I've found for the Mark V Editable Settings PSD are dead, including the one on the Petrucci forum...

Could anyone send this to me, or maybe upload it to zshare, dropbox or similar? Address is jedens at gmail. I'll upload it for others once it's sent to me.

Thanks!

just sent it to you

hendrik84 said:
farren said:

Thanks!

just sent it to you

Thanks man!

A couple links that will hopefully last a while...

Mark V Editable Settings.PSD by Sean Ashe:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/K8VZTw74/Mark_V_Editable_Settings.html (free account required)

http://depositfiles.com/files/tmi30ever (no account required)

Latest posts

Back