Now I know why I work

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift

Reaction score
Yes yes, another Mark IV thread.

This thing is absolutely amazing, and I've only had it cranked once. I struggled to dial ina great tone at low volumes (bedroom in a flat), when I got what I thought I liked I wrote them down and put them on at rehearsal. Sounded great, but after a little bit of tweaking, it sounded both chocolately and robust.

It cost me $4200 USD (That's right Americans, stop your moaning) and it's all worth it :mrgreen:

Share your Boogie love stories here if you wish.

Oh also, for the metal heads, what do you use for rhythm?

I'm using the lead channel at the moment (got my delicious rock tone on rhythm 2), then use the EQ with boosted mids for a lead boost. Thinking about getting a micro amp though, if it would make a difference.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Couldn't tell you.

Here in the UK Mesas are vastly more expensive than in the US.

Yeah but not nearly so when you buy on ebay and have them shipped to the UK....

For rhythm R2 comes in handy when you set it properly.

I like this setup:

gain 8-10 pulled
Bass 3 or less (high bass becomes very flubby with the gain high on R2)
Mid - set to taste (sometimes I run it high and sometimes low depending on how thick of a clean tone I want)
Treb - 10

Master - set to taste
Pres - 5 or less pushed

GEQ - Off

Master volume - set to taste (must be atleast 1.5 for any sound to come out so it might be best to set it to like 2 and adjust the volume with the individual channel volume)

Tweed, class A, triode (for playing at low levels)

I use a 212 halfback cab with c90 and v30 or I go into a Thiele with EV.

Greg

I forgot to mention I use a digitech GSP1101 for using OD/DS pedals out front of the Mark IV. Unfortunately the rig isn't complete as I am waiting on a custom amp switcher to be made but by the end of February I should be good.

Greg

Yes, it would have been cheaper to get one off eBay or whatever.

BUT, I got it from my local music store, which means

a) Free Warranty for life at the shop.
b) Mesa warranty for 3 years or whatever it is.
c) Ability to pay over 12 months at no extra cost

:smile:

URGH, I have to wait till the 4th to crank it again! :( Everytime I play it at home I'm like "Pfft, it sounds rubbish, why did I buy it?" Then I remember the loud tone :razz:

Congrat's on your new amp.

In order to get that full tone that you get when you crank the IV, at lower volumes, make sure you keep the individual volumes very low. Then you can crank the Master volume to around 4-5. This will give you some power tube fullness.

Another trick: for a more chimey clean channel, keep the gain for Ch1 relatively low - just turn up the individual channel volume to compensate for the volume loss.

Also, when I'm playing at gig volumes, how should I set my channel volumes? Full or what?

I usually keep the same settings at high volumes (gigs) as I do at low volumes (bedroom wanking). However, I usuually use Tweed power for low volumes, but switch to Full power for gigs. For gigs, I sometimes have to turn the Master volume up a little too to hear myself well. If I do turn the Master up, I sometimes have to tweek the individual channel volumes just slightly to get them to get them to balance out, and to compensate for some slight tonal changes.

I have my settings and all cable connections written down and check them before each gig to make sure nothing has moved. I find that some of the push-pull switches sometimes get accidently pushed in during transportation. I use midi to switch my Mark IV, as well as another preamp in the effects, so my cable connections are a little complicated - hence the need for the cabling diagram.

Another trick I use is to use the amp with the EQ off with my main settings. I have the EQ set flat with a slight mid/hi-end boost. This lets me kick the EQ on for solo boost and for added clarity. It also gives you 6 different tones.

Enjoy!

Back