Nomad 55,s and hotplates.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The old problem practising at home without deafening the kids, goldfish having the wife leave and noise control paying a visit. Hot plates seem a likely (if expensive) answer.

What are other peoples experience with them with this sort of set up?

Is there another way?

use the search option, there have been plenty of post in the past. Another way to do it is use a overdrive pedal. Also remove some power tubes however this method is least effective.

I really don't understand why ya gotta have it so loud! It is a master volume amp after-all! A THD Hotplate may be what your after though, I saw an 8ohm used recently for $250! I think Guitarget sells em new for $299! Also of note, you could mute your speakers and use headphones out of the "recording-out" jack on the back of your amp! It's not an old non MV Marshall for crysakes! Good Luck!

I've seen the the Hot Plates new as low as $259. I don't have a master on a couple of my amps and really do like the Hot Plate on them. It's been a helpful piece of equipment for me.

jbird said:
I really don't understand why ya gotta have it so loud!

It's not about being loud I guess, it's about burning those output tubes at 60-90% of their rated power output. That's where they shine.

I use Hotplate with my Nomad 55. Go get one.

jbird said:
I really don't understand why ya gotta have it so loud! It is a master volume amp after-all! A THD Hotplate may be what your after though, I saw an 8ohm used recently for $250! I think Guitarget sells em new for $299! Also of note, you could mute your speakers and use headphones out of the "recording-out" jack on the back of your amp! It's not an old non MV Marshall for crysakes! Good Luck!

Just loud enough to work the output valves and tranny a bit. Having the MV turned down so low or using the headphones gives you about half that sweet valve sound,

Click 30 Hum BLAST said:
Thankyou brother - thats all I needed to hear.

You're welcome brother 8) .

P.S. I even bought a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer thinking I'll have to 'tweak' the signal envelope while lowering the output volume ('drain the juice') via Hotplate. Worst couple of hundred bucks I spent recently. Hotplate works like a charm and those 'bright' and 'deep' switches are quite useful too.

You're welcome brother 8) .

P.S. I even bought a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer thinking I'll have to 'tweak' the signal envelope while lowering the output volume ('drain the juice') via Hotplate. Worst couple of hundred bucks I spent recently. Hotplate works like a charm and those 'bright' and 'deep' switches are quite useful too.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to getting hold of one and trying it out.

Back