Noisy .50+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icycanadianguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently purchased a .50 calibre + combo and it is very noisy. This noise starts as the amp warms up. If the guitar isn't plugged into the amp the noise isn't as bad but as soon as I plug it in I get a lot of hissing, static and buzzing (does this mean it is the guitar?).

This noise is equally loud on both channels. I really don't know a whole lot about tube amps so I am not sure how to deal with this. The tubes are fairly newish (so I was told when I bought it anyway).

If anybody has some advice for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

if you say the noise is on both the channels equal loud, the problem lays in th e poweramp section: probably bad pi or bad powertube(s) . (i guess the second one)

Tube amps have a certain amount of "blow", which is a background noise. At the risk of sounding like a scratched record, amps that are 15 years or more old might need a filter cap replacement, esp. if they are making a lot of 60 cycle hum or blowing fuses.

If plugging in the guitar makes it worse, it could be something to do with the guitar, I suppose. You might also check to see if it makes the noise if you move it, i.e., there may be a signal nearby the amp that the amp is picking up. BTW, welcome to the world of the .50 cal, one of the best Boogies for clean sounds, and lots and lots of gain on the lead setting.

Thanks again for the advice. I have ordered some new tubes and am going to try them out and see what happens. I am also going to have somebody take a look at my guitar to see if it is part of the problem (I suspect it is).

I live out in the middle of nowhere (Newfoundland) so it might not be easy to find somebody to service this amp if the new tubes don't do it. So I am crossing my fingers. And yeah, the amp does sound great. I have always wanted a Mesa/Boogie. This is my first but I am sure it won't be my last.

Regards.

Back