Noise Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musman

Reaction score
Ive got a Lonestar classic 2x12 50/100 watt; first I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the owners manual for it, I can't seem to find it on the mesa boogie site. If not can someone help me fixing my noise problem? Anytime I put the amp on channel two it just starts making a bunch of noise. Im pretty positive its just one of the tubes, the question is which tube? Also in my haiste pulled the 5u4 tube and pretty sure I put it back in wrong cause Im blowing fuses now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The manuals are on this page (scroll down):
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm
You have Lonestar V.1
All tubes have a "key" - that's the black plastic pin that's sticking out of the middle of the bottom of the tube, between the metal pins surrounding it.
Notice that there is a "bump" on it which matches a corresponding slot in the tube socket. Tubes only go in one way, unless, of course, this pin gets broken off.
If it don't fit, don't force it, as the song goes. :D

Blowing fuses is a sure sign of a bad tube(s). While turning the amp on, watch the tubes. There should be some fireworks in one of them before the fuse blows.

Thanks for the link and the help guys. The pin on the 5u6 is broken; Im gonna try and get a new 5u6 and some new fuses today. I got the answer to the noise problem at mesaboogie.com but the question now is what tube? Since the 5u6 is out and Im out of fuses until I get movin for the day I cant check which tube it is that is messing up. I guess my real question now is; is there anything I can do to figure out what it is before I drive across town to pick up a fuse and tube just to come back and figure it out and have to go back across town to pick up whats broken? I guess I could just pick up a 6L6 to and save myself some time? Thanks again for all the help.

Better make that a pair of 6L6's and a 12ax7. Just in case. And don't get hot ones but more on the cool side. Replace 6L6's in matched pairs if possible.

Back