noise gate in fx loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works with serial FX loop. I have used my Boss Noise suppressor since 1989 (I have Mark III). Boogie Reverb is affected when you have adjusted high threshold and low decay. Delay box after Noise Gate box of course. I haven't tried any noise gate with parrallel FX loop.

Here is a stupid question, what is the difference between a series and parallel FX loop? I just bought the ISP Decimator Rackmount ProG (noise gate) series and I know I have to run it into the FX loop of my Triaxis. So I am not sure how to run it in the chain of FX processors and I am not sure what type of FX loop the Triaxis has... haha I am very confused! Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Triaxis has serial loop.

Parallel loop means that there are two signal paths mixed together.

Serial loop means that there is only one signal path.

Greenevil said:
Here is a stupid question, what is the difference between a series and parallel FX loop? I just bought the ISP Decimator Rackmount ProG (noise gate) series and I know I have to run it into the FX loop of my Triaxis. So I am not sure how to run it in the chain of FX processors and I am not sure what type of FX loop the Triaxis has... haha I am very confused! Any help would greatly be appreciated!

The noise gate should be the first after your preamp if you want to reduce hum or hiss at high gain settings, etc. At least it has to be before the effects, 'cause it could cut off reverb and delay trails otherwise.

When an amp has a series effects loop, it's basically just a bridge between the preamp and poweramp. In the case of the TriAxis it's between the preamp and it's final output.

The series thing is that the WHOLE signal goes through the loop, unlike parallel, where the signal is split before the loop send. One signal goes through the loop, while the other is internally fed to the return that has a mix pot. The mix pot blends the loop signal with the one internally fed.

This is a good thing when you don't want your dry tone to go through the AD/DA converters of your effect processors. Almost every such processor has the option to kill the dry signal and ONLY pass on the effects. Then you'd have the pure and unaffected dry signal internally fed where it's mixed with the effects-only signal coming from the processor in the loop.

But do you really have to use the loop? Why not just place it after the TriAxis output? Well, I guess because you want the option of turning the loop off depending on the TriAxis program...

Thanks a lot for all of the info! As far as running the noise gate through the loop, I suppose I don't have to but ISP recommends that you run it that way... I will try it both ways and see which works best. Thanks again all!

Greenevil said:
Thanks a lot for all of the info! As far as running the noise gate through the loop, I suppose I don't have to but ISP recommends that you run it that way... I will try it both ways and see which works best. Thanks again all!

No prob.

They recommend it for an amp head. Which has a pre and a power section. The only way to add the gate and effects, etc. is to put them after the preamp/before the poweramp. Which means the loop section in a head. But this is different because you only have a preamp. So essentially the signal coming from the send of the TriAxis' loop is EXACTLY the same as the one coming out of the outputs with the loop deactivated. And it's still before the poweramp. So it should be the same in both ways. :D

thanks guys, one more thing is, when i have my power supply to the noise gate this adds noise, but i run it in front of the amp, by putting it in the fx loop would this go away? i have a mark 4.

Living_justice said:
thanks guys, one more thing is, when i have my power supply to the noise gate this adds noise, but i run it in front of the amp, by putting it in the fx loop would this go away? i have a mark 4.

I doubt it. But hey, if you want to eliminate pickup noise etc., you want to run it in front of the amp. If you want to eliminate buzz and hiss on high gain settings, put it in the loop.

It sounds like you're having a ground loop. Try lifting the audio ground on your guitar cable? I really have no idea, so I'll leave it to those who know.

Latest posts

Back