no gain at all! (recording pre and 2:90)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchaholic

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new guy here!
I'm havin' some trouble with my setup. I have a recording preamp going into a 2:90 power amp. No matter what volume I put them to, the output sounds like a clean channel, even with the preamp on the dirty channel.

I have my guitar into the front input on the preamp, then from the preamp's live out L to the power amp's Inputs A. Then my cab is connected to the 8ohm out. This is the only cabling I have thus far. volume seems fine, but it sounds like a clean channel no matter what!

i tried to to tinker with the "voicings", but honestly i have no clue how to hook any of it up.

can someone shed some light on what i may be doing wrong here?

thanks in advance,
steve

Try these:

1) Unplug any footswitches and use the switch on the front of the pre to change channels
2) Make sure the fx loop level is turned down
3) Make sure the recording output is turned down

When you switch channels, can you hear a difference or is it not switching channels at all?

i dont have a footswitch for either unit so i've been using the toggle switch on the front to swap channels.

i have the fx loop volume turned to 10% (all the way down) as suggested in the manual.

i have turned the recording out all the way down as well..

...no dice.. i can't figure it out!

when you switch the toggle switch, do you hear any difference at all?

not 100% sure as im at work, but I believe i can hear it "switch"
i still need to test the recording outs to see if its outputting anything.

i read that you could use the poweramp by itself for a "good clean" sound.. is it possible that the preamp isnt even being used?

I'm not sure on this, so someone can correct me. The 2:90 is a stereo power amp, so don't you have to use the Left and Right? Besides this I'd make sure your 2:90 is set to line and not instrument.

Turn the presence all the way up and the volume all the way down on the channel you're not using and it will be fine according to the manual.

tedsticle said:
I'm not sure on this, so someone can correct me. The 2:90 is a stereo power amp, so don't you have to use the Left and Right? Besides this I'd make sure your 2:90 is set to line and not instrument.

You don't HAVE to use the left and right (you can turn down one channel of the PA as described), but since the rec pre has stereo outs you'd be nuts not to.

Unless you bought a 2:90 and now you're trying to play it in your bedroom :roll:

Anyway, OP, have you got your loud now? Can you confirm that it's switching channels?

2:90 for bedroom use? people do that? lol

got it all workin' just fine! was a poor connection between amp and cabinet.

satchaholic said:
2:90 for bedroom use? people do that? lol

man, you would be amazed... "my Road King has no bass this sux... oh yah I can't turn the master past like half of 1 because I live in an apartment" :roll:

satchaholic said:
got it all workin' just fine! was a poor connection between amp and cabinet.

Sweet. Enjoy Channel 1, too, there's some awesome tones in there as well.

Latest posts

Back