Newbie question on tubes.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattroste

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently discovered what guitars should really sound like with the purchase of a Mesa LSS. Absolutely fantastic amp. Just blows me away.

Anyway, I bought it off Ebay and was told that it was 6 months old, however the warranty card is dated 2002 so I guess I was told a lie on its age. With this in mind I don't know if the valves have ever been changed. They are still mesa valves so they could be original. Unfortunatly being less than knowledgable on the issue I don't know what to look out for in regards to tell tale signs that the valves are going.

There seems to be no issues with the amp except for the fact that the reverb can take a second to kick in when switching from the overdrive to the clean channel.

Any help would be appreciated!

A few signs of bad tubes:

Microphonics -- noises, usually from the preamp tubes (12Ax7), especially when playing, but also at idle, when not playing.

Muddy sound, loss of volume -- power amp tubes (EL84).

If you've got the money, buy new tubes, then save the old ones as spares.

Quattroste said:
Thanks Ylo. Good point on the spares. I think I'll stick to the Mesa tubes too.

Mesa will allow you to swap their tubes for Groove Tubes #4-#7 without voiding your warranty.

OK it looks like I need 4 EL84's then there seems to be 5 12Ax7's and a bigger tube with 5Y3GT on it. I take it this bigger one is a rectifier tube??

Do I need to change the rectifier tube aswell?

Quattroste said:
OK it looks like I need 4 EL84's then there seems to be 5 12Ax7's and a bigger tube with 5Y3GT on it. I take it this bigger one is a rectifier tube??

Do I need to change the rectifier tube aswell?

Yes the 5Y3 is your rectifier tube and doesn't really need to be replaced unless it goes bad.

Bob in EuroTubes has given me a package price of $75 plus postage to Ireland which seems very reasonable, actually cheap! This is for the 4 EL84's and the 5 ECC83's.

Watford valves in the UK would cost me over twice that price plus the shipping.

Are EuroTube JJ tubes of inferior quality? It just seems like too good a deal.

Quattroste said:
Bob in EuroTubes has given me a package price of $75 plus postage to Ireland which seems very reasonable, actually cheap! This is for the 4 EL84's and the 5 ECC83's.

Watford valves in the UK would cost me over twice that price plus the shipping.

Are EuroTube JJ tubes of inferior quality? It just seems like too good a deal.

JJ tubes are not inferior no, but tone is VERY VERY subjective so it made sound great for someone and another person may absolutely hate it. They are great tubes in my opinion and I've tried a ton of them... but my needs are probably different so keep it in mind.

Quattroste said:
Thanks Platypus.

I think I'll go for the JJ's. If I don't like them I can always get the Watford ones at a later stage. I only have the MESA tubes to compare them too.

You're welcome :)

I think you will like them more than the Mesa tubes!

Back