newbie needs help>>>w mk4 retube w/jj's????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mextremist666

Reaction score
i just got some from tube depot , jj's 6l6's, one(low noise and microphonics option) jj12at7, 1 (tube depot high gain option) jj12ax7, and 3 jj12ax7. which preamp tubes go where???? can someone that has experience help?

the high gain option goes under the silver cap.. thats V 1 ... then the 12t7 goes in V4 over on the next to the reverb cables in's/out.. there should be a matched one for the phase inverter.... thats V5 or the one closest to the power tubes.they must all be matched...the 3 12ax7s go it the remaining spot's..V2,V3,V5

i didnt know they all had to be matched, i would have ordered em matched but i didnt know it was a must for the preamp tubes, will running these i have in the order u suggested ruin my amp? will it make a big difference in tone??thanks for ur help,im about to try the order u gave me.....

nothing will reck your amp..V1 is the most used pre amp tube and has the biggest say in how your tone goes... so you would put the high gain there... the 12at7 goes in the reverb sockect becasue it like's the lower gain tube.. i HAVE used 12ax7 in that spot but and it's fine.. a matched triode in V5 for the phase inverter becasue each side of the tube will be worn down at the same time..and having one side less than the only can lead to lesser tube life..thats all.. you have nothing to worry about.. your amp will sound Great! you should get 3 years out of V2,V3,V4,V5 and 1 1/2 years out of the V1 as i find the mk IV eats the V1 tubes for breakfast...

Latest posts

Back