New V Combo In!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikedude

Reaction score
Got the call from my dealer tonite that my brand new Mark V Combo is in and i can come in and swap out the floor model they sold me 2 wks. ago. I'm a little leary because the last time I did this, with an LSC, i got a lemon. The "demo" V i have is sounding, and performing flawlessly, so I'm hesitant to switch out, but most people have said, "Grab the new one ASAP". I'll of course get the packaging, etc. for future possible sale. What do you guys and gals think. Swap out perfectly running amp, for a brand spanking new unit in the case, or keep the one i have that I know works and sounds great.

I'd be partial to sticking with the amp you're most comfortable with. If you're happy with it's condition then keeping it shouldn't be a big deal.

Congrats!

Personally, I feel either way would be fine. I ordered my MkV from my local GC 1-1/2 years ago and took it out of the box upon delivery. I haven't had ANY problems with it at all, and absolutely love it!

Based on my experience after owning several MB amps over the years, chances are the one you are playing will be very reliable as well. The choice is yours, and either way is probably just fine.

Enjoy!

Dude, I bought mine off the floor at GC and have had zero issues. I say if you've put it through the paces and it's A-OK, keep 'er. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Thanks for the mixed reviews. I'm torn because afterall there is nothing like a brand new out of the box boogie, that is all yours to break in. But i've had issues in the past with my LSC, so I'm up in the air as of now

I'd go get the new one, 3 months from now if the floor unit starts having problems you'll be kicking yourself. Lemons are few and far between.

i personally would go with the new one. i think it's unlikely that you'll get a lemon, and then you can have all the packaging and some peace of mind knowing that no one's molested your new amp

Get the NEW one. If you don't and you have a problem, which is not likely, but if you do you will wish you had.

So I decided to go with the new in the box MV. Got it home, unpacked it, checked to see if there was any tube wrapping, plugged it in and fired it up. Right out of the box, I think I have a microphonic pre-amp tube. Ch. 3 esp. with high gain settings, i'm hearing a "ringing" ghost note. Dosen't Mesa run these amps before shipping? I'm sure they must, but I guess anything can happen to cause a bad pre to go. Now it's down to the process of elimination! Other than that, it sounds pretty great. Some of you will say "i told you so". LOL

Tubes are fragile. You can test them all the you want but all you can ever verify is whether they're serviceable or not.... they can't predict life expectancy or how well it'll survive shipping. It's why they have the 6 month warranty on them.

Well if it's just a pre-amp tube, i won't even expect one from Mesa. Or should I call them, and will they ship me new tubes once they get my warranty info? Oh well, I'll start the checking this weekend. Maybe when and if they call me from the factory, like they did when I bought my LSC, I'll tell them of the problem.

screamingdaisy said:
Tubes are fragile. You can test them all the you want but all you can ever verify is whether they're serviceable or not.... they can't predict life expectancy or how well it'll survive shipping. It's why they have the 6 month warranty on them.
This.

You can't fault Mesa for a bad tube. Heck, I expect at least one tube to fail on an amp out of the box. They are fragile, and you know how shippers are with packages. You still made the right call with getting the fresh, out of the box amp. Good decision.

After some more time on the V, I've noticed that the "microphonic" noise has stopped. Maybe the tubes needed a little "burning" in, but it seems that the noise has gone away. Can't wait to get this amp in a live setting, as the tonal options are amazing. I'm going to leave my pedalboard at home, and just run my Alesis Nanoverb thru the loop, and bring a TU-2 for tuning chores, maybe my BudWah.

Back