New Tubes in my Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebydesign

Reaction score
I know the amp can only take EL34 tubes, and that Mesa products are fixed bias. What I'd like to know is can I plug in any EL34 tube as long as it's an EL34 without having to worry about anything blowing?

Yep, any tube will work but might not sound too good. The fixed bias means the tubes have to be within Mesa's specs to sound right...

MusicManJP6 said:
Yep, any tube will work but might not sound too good. The fixed bias means the tubes have to be within Mesa's specs to sound right...

Unfortunately there isn't anything in the manual suggesting what the specs may be. My main concern is breaking my amp if I accidentally put something in that may not be in Mesa's specs.

Don't worry. You won't break your amp. Mesa spec, when referring to tubes for use in a Mesa, means that the plate voltage of said tube needs to be within the optimum range for the right amount of breakup to occur. If the tube's plate voltage is too low the amp will sound thin and 'nasty'. If it is too high then the amp will have too much breakup and sound bad as well. If anything the tube life will be reduced if it is not within Mesa spec but you will not harm the amp.

Groove Tubes uses a scale of 1 - 10 for the 'hardness' or distortion rating for their tubes. The GT tubes that are within Mesa spec have a rating between 4 and 6. For other tubes I just make sure I tell the place I order my tubes from that I have a Mesa and they make sure the tubes are within spec.

HTH

If you ever want to try something a little different you can safely use JJ KT-77's from Bob at www.eurotubes.com
He will send you a set of power tubes with a mild enough rating as not to hurt your amp. I put a set in my ACE and it was a definite improvement over the stock china tubes (warmer with more low end kick).
strangebydesign said:
I know the amp can only take EL34 tubes, and that Mesa products are fixed bias. What I'd like to know is can I plug in any EL34 tube as long as it's an EL34 without having to worry about anything blowing?

strangebydesign said:

When ordering tubes, tell them what amp it's for. Most dealers know what Mesa spec is (if they don't, go elsewhere) and will send you the correct ones.

Latest posts

Back