"new" tremoverb, partial refund, now alive again!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Coo1

Reaction score
i should have known when i wanted to have my friend pay cash and pick it up locally and the guy refused...

so i got the delivery in a huge beat up box filled with peanuts, pulled the amp out and took the bubble wrap off, and i heard the wonderful sound of broken glass sliding around. i open it up to find 2 smashed power tubes and only 3 tubes still in their sockets. so i clean the glass out and take it apart to get the rest out. it was made 11/94 btw. and i notice that when i push in the preamp tubes, all the sockets move down, so the PCB isnt attached to the chassis at one end... so i get the tubes in and the thing that assures me that it isnt shipping damage is when i go to turn it on, nothing happens. so i remove the fuse cover to find a f****** rolled up piece of paper.

ahh man i am so pissed off right now... i sent the guy a message on ebay and havent left any feedback yet. what do you guys think i should do?

does anyone know where i can get the 4 amp slo-blo fuse mesa uses? gc has to special order...

Commander Coo1 said:
i should have known when i wanted to have my friend pay cash and pick it up locally and the guy refused...

so i got the delivery in a huge beat up box filled with peanuts, pulled the amp out and took the bubble wrap off, and i heard the wonderful sound of broken glass sliding around. i open it up to find 2 smashed power tubes and only 3 tubes still in their sockets. so i clean the glass out and take it apart to get the rest out. it was made 11/94 btw. and i notice that when i push in the preamp tubes, all the sockets move down, so the PCB isnt attached to the chassis at one end... so i get the tubes in and the thing that assures me that it isnt shipping damage is when i go to turn it on, nothing happens. so i remove the fuse cover to find a f****** rolled up piece of paper.

ahh man i am so pissed off right now... i sent the guy a message on ebay and havent left any feedback yet. what do you guys think i should do?

Ask yourself one question... What would Chuck Norris do?

****, that's some sad stuff. How does one amp get messed up? Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with ebay, so I'm not sure what you can do there. I can only offer my condolences.

If you could prove he made it look like shipping damage himself, that's fraud, which is a crime (felony level, depending on amount of money).

Of course YOU don't want to commit a crime in return (though my thoughts would turn to that quickly), like something you could be sued for (slander, liable, physical injury, etc etc).

You may have to invest some time and money tracking the person down, and in the end it would be a waste unless you can legally make something stick. Likely you would not get remuneration in money.

If you want the Tremoverb, it's worth fixing. Then just move on and let all that **** just go.

yea, i know its worth fixing, it was insured for $1000 with ups and maybe i can get the repairs out of that money... this is such a pain in the ***, i was really looking forward to rockin on the thing tonight... oh well
anyone know where i can get a fuse?

I do shipping/receiving for a living. Don't waste any time, get on the phone with UPS and initiate a claim. Becaue it's high value they'll want to pick it up for inspection. From that point just play by their rules and you should be compensated. If their inspection determines it was not adequatley packed then you can go after the seller.

I also got stiffed on an amp on Ebay. It took a few months of anger-inducing emails and phone calls and forms but I actually got as far as the Ebay arbitrator siding with me and he helped me press charges against the guy through his hometown police department. Not only did I get my money back, but he ended up getting in deep doodoo for internet fraud. DEEP doodoo. :twisted:

I feel for you man, especially since I got my T-Verb a few months back. These amps are awesome.

Commander Coo1 said:
yea, i know its worth fixing, it was insured for $1000 with ups and maybe i can get the repairs out of that money... this is such a pain in the ***, i was really looking forward to rockin on the thing tonight... oh well

Did you check your local auto parts or hardware stores? Sorry to hear about your amp, hope it all turns OK in the end. What were the seller's feedback numbers like?

Radio shack has 4 amp slo-blo fuses as well.

UPS will most likely deny the claim for improper packaging. Sorry to hear that. When I sell stuff I always take it to a place that professionally packs stuff instead of doing it myself. They document the packing process and do so in accordance with the shipping company to ensure a smooth claims process in the event of damage.

When I purchase something that could be fragile it's always a question I ask the seller. Hind sight is always 20/20 but thought I'd mention that for future reference and a warning to newer board member. Unfortunately your not the first this happened to.

Just curious as to what makes you think a fuse will fix the problem.? I get the feeling the amp is dead in the water. Don't waste anytime, start initiating whatever it is you need to do thru UPS and then Ebay (when UPS tells you that they won't cover an obvious attempt at fraud from the seller)

Commander Coo1 said:

For the record, its best if anyone is buying an amp through the net should always try to have it sent in its original box/packing . The mesa boxes/packing are UPS approved . If you ever receive an amp damaged in its original box/packing when you make a claim make sure you tell them it was shipped in UPS approved box/packing .

well i got a fuse, and she works... kinda. its extremely crackly which is probobly tubes needing replacement which i will try in a bit, but the clean/vintage hi gain switch on the front does nothing, so its stuck on vintage high gain... i checked out the wires that run to that switch and some of their insulation is melted a bit. while playing if i hit the head with my palm it crackles a ton (not just reverb) and last time i triedit the only sound that came out was crackles, no more guitar sound... i am going to call ups in a bit to find out wheat they want to do. thanks for the help
-James

here is a link to the auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190149187348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

well this is the message i just sent the ebay guy.

"i talked to ups and they said to get a repair estimate from a tech, so i went to the tech and he said that the damages are not due to shipping. someone tried to modify the amp and did a very sloppy job. he told me that it looked like someone tried to offload a piece of ****, so i would like to return the amp, get my money back plus shipping back to tally, or i will get ebay and paypal involved because of misrepresentation/fraud. let me know what you want to do.
-James"

the tech said to either get a refund or keep it and get $950 back and try to get a new pcb from mesa
man this sucks, i just wanted to have an awesome amp...i just sold my dual recto solo head to afford it so im stuck with the pod 2.0's version of a 94 tremoverb.

well, he did respond and he wants pictures of the mods/repairs in the amp, so i will send him the pics tonight

I feel your broken amp pain.
I had a Tremoverb head shell and two power tubes damaged by UPS a few months back. Luckily the guy I bought it from over-packed it really well or else the damage would've been a lot worse. I got the claim paid after about 6 weeks of repeated phone calls to UPS and didn't even have to have an inspector come check it. I just had to email them pictures. The seller was REALLY cool in helping me out. He filled out the necessary papers and when he got the check, he sent me the $$$. If you go that route, that's one thing you'd have to worry about, if you actually get the claim approved---> getting the seller to send the $$$ to you. UPS keeps you in the dark and won't tell you anything about the claim.
If you end up dealing with Ebay to resolve the issue, I'm not sure how much they really do. I'm currently trying to get them to help me out with a seller who refuses to ship a Schott Perfecto to me because the final bid amount was too low?!?! in her #&^$*$! opinion and Ebay won't even return my emails.
Anyways, good luck I hope things turn out well.

TheRazMeister said:
Just curious as to what makes you think a fuse will fix the problem.? I get the feeling the amp is dead in the water. Don't waste anytime, start initiating whatever it is you need to do thru UPS and then Ebay (when UPS tells you that they won't cover an obvious attempt at fraud from the seller)

+1

well this is what the guy said after i sent the pictures:
"James,
Thanks for getting me the pics and info so quick. This is a
crappy situation, because one your hand, I understand that
you're pissed because you have a broken amp and don't want to
wait to have it fixed. I also see our side that if we refund the
amp, then we are sent back a broken amp that was working
when it left and we have no money. Since I'm new to this, I
consulted ebay for help. My roommate explained the situation
in detail to two different people at ebay. Based on the fact that
it was stated as used, did not specify new or original condition,
was working when we shipped it, and we have pictures to show
that it was fine, we would not be considered fraudulent or
misrepresenting the item in any way. Ebay thought you were
pretty lucky that we decided to put insurance on it even without
stating it in the description. They suggested the best course of
action to tell you was to take up the matter with UPS since the
insurance covers the purchase price. I have no problem helping
you in the matter with UPS, but at this point, unfortunately that
is all I can offer you. Sorry again for the situation and let me
know if I can do anything else to help.
Sincerely,
Zack"

so i emailed ebay asking their advice myself and stating my side that it didnt mention the mods, broken switch, and fuse.

For any one interested, here is the link the the auction.

The seller claims that he is selling for a friend.

I would ask the seller if he is willing to accept negative feedback on behalf of his friend. Maybe he can put the squeeze on his friend to take the amp back so he does not get negative feedback.

If I had to guess, I think the “friend” thing is bogus. People use that so if an issue arises, they can argue “Well, I was selling it for a friend.” EBAY does not see it that way. The owner of the EBAY account is still responsible for whatever he sells on EBAY, whether it is for a friend or not.

If the guy fesses up that it was his and not a friends, that would deem his auction as a fraud and you have ammunition to get a refund.

Exchange all correspondence with this person through the EBAY PM system this way if you need to file a claim with EBAY, they have an official record.

Good luck.

zeeman

Is this a joke??? Where in the description does is say "has toilet paper in the fuse" won't work unless you fix it. I would press Ebay REAL hard on this. Amd remember to mention that he refused pickup.

Commander Coo1 said:
well this is what the guy said after i sent the pictures:
"James,
Thanks for getting me the pics and info so quick. This is a
crappy situation, because one your hand, I understand that
you're pissed because you have a broken amp and don't want to
wait to have it fixed. I also see our side that if we refund the
amp, then we are sent back a broken amp that was working
when it left and we have no money. Since I'm new to this, I
consulted ebay for help. My roommate explained the situation
in detail to two different people at ebay. Based on the fact that
it was stated as used, did not specify new or original condition,
was working when we shipped it, and we have pictures to show
that it was fine, we would not be considered fraudulent or
misrepresenting the item in any way. Ebay thought you were
pretty lucky that we decided to put insurance on it even without
stating it in the description. They suggested the best course of
action to tell you was to take up the matter with UPS since the
insurance covers the purchase price. I have no problem helping
you in the matter with UPS, but at this point, unfortunately that
is all I can offer you. Sorry again for the situation and let me
know if I can do anything else to help.
Sincerely,
Zack"

so i emailed ebay asking their advice myself and stating my side that it didnt mention the mods, broken switch, and fuse.

Back