New tones from a Recto: Channel 3 Vintage?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

After coming back from a concert, I constantly find myself falling to the crunchier, more mid based tones I am hearing! I was completely intrigued my the tones the guitarist from Muse got from his Diezel VH-4.....he was playing insanily fast palm mutes, and they stayed completely defined and articulate!

So, it looks like I have some more EQing to do with me Recto :D

I know this amp is capable of it, but what would you guys recommend?

I still want an authoritative and huge sound, but not as compressed and boomy as channel 3 modern can sometimes be. I want something more airy and crunchy, but still high gain. The Diezel really sounded amazing...if anyone has played one, they know what I'm talking about.

My first option is to finally pop in my quad of E34L's. I think that will really help me with where I'm going, but any other suggestions?

I was thinking Channel 3 vintage might have something to my liking...any sample settings for it? I really have only used modern on this channel....

Thanks for all your help!

go for it! ch3 vintage i'm sure sounds ridiculously good, but nobody takes the time with it. i tried it a couple of times long ago. don't remember how it sounded.

I think to achive this you will need to use vintage on channel 2, but honestly you will never get as tight as that diezel. The guy from Muse does get a nice tight crunch, i believe on the first album he used Marshalls. Then he switched to Diezels on this second album.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

After coming back from a concert, I constantly find myself falling to the crunchier, more mid based tones I am hearing! I was completely intrigued my the tones the guitarist from Muse got from his Diezel VH-4.....he was playing insanily fast palm mutes, and they stayed completely defined and articulate!

So, it looks like I have some more EQing to do with me Recto :D

I know this amp is capable of it, but what would you guys recommend?

I still want an authoritative and huge sound, but not as compressed and boomy as channel 3 modern can sometimes be. I want something more airy and crunchy, but still high gain. The Diezel really sounded amazing...if anyone has played one, they know what I'm talking about.

My first option is to finally pop in my quad of E34L's. I think that will really help me with where I'm going, but any other suggestions?

I was thinking Channel 3 vintage might have something to my liking...any sample settings for it? I really have only used modern on this channel....

Thanks for all your help!

Vintage on channel 3 has always been one of my favorites.

Elpelotero said:
go for it! ch3 vintage i'm sure sounds ridiculously good, but nobody takes the time with it. i tried it a couple of times long ago. don't remember how it sounded.

Well, at $4250 for the head alone, I'll have to pass on the Diezel for now, buy I definitely hope to own one in the future :D

I'm definitely going to mess with the channels!

By a used XTC, you can get them between $2200 and $2600 and will give you the tones you are looking for. My main amp is a XTC and absolutly love it for my rock/hard rock sound.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Well, at $4250 for the head alone, I'll have to pass on the Diezel for now, buy I definitely hope to own one in the future :D

I'm definitely going to mess with the channels!

i only use the vintage setting on my third channel...it is more creamy to me yet at the same time monsterously heavy if set correctly. for fatty mids with more punch and still retain the cream i use this setting:
Presence: just before 3 o'clock, bass: just past 9 o'clock, Mid: around 1 o'clock, Treble: 3 o'clock. with this eq/presence setting you can adjust your master and gain knobs to tune in the amount of cream/bite. less gain more bite, more gain more cream. check it out and let me know what you think. this setting with less gain using my vintage v cuts through mid-wise big time without sounding buzzsawish. if it's not what you envision i feel it is a good starting point for that kind of tone...so do some of my friends who own duals/triples. hope this helps. good luck. peece.

Back