New to this board and newmark IIB boogie owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

Reaction score
Hello all

I was looking around Ebay and spotted a nice MARK IIB head and cab. I collect amps and purchased it on impulse.

I am mainly a Marshall guy but also have a nice old Fender Vibrolux plus a couple of modern amps as well. I thought I might extend my amp collecting illness into boogies as well.

I had a Studio 22 years and years ago that I never used much, so in essence this is my first boogie.

I am yet to get it. I was looking around Ebay in the US, man you guys have it good over there, Mesas are twice the price over here, in fact most good music gear is a lot cheaper than here in Australia.

I would be interested to hear what any other Mark IIB owners think of this amp or any opinions in general.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome! I too am a boogie owner in Australia. My main boogie at the moment is a mark IIC, which is similar to the IIB. They are truly great amps! Hope you have as much fun with your boogie as I do with mine.

chris.

tonemachine.jpg

my '81 MKIIb

it traveled full time for 5 years after i bought it....
it once fell off of the top of a stack, onto it's face (carpeted drum riser) and the only thing that broke was (2) of the eq slider buttons.

never had a failure, and just typical changing out of power tubes, it was, and is, an awesome amp.

IIB is a superb sounding creature - I'm away from base at the moment and could only take one Boogie with me. I ended up with my Mark IV because of it's versatility, but the IIB has absolutely shedloads of personality. It's a great amplifier, and comes from a really nice place in the Boogie timeline - a transitional point between the awesome sounding but vintage-y Mark I and the 'perfect' tone that you get from a later Mark (IIC/C+, III, IV).

Super amp, definitely a keeper. Enjoy!

Thanks for your welcome.

Gonzo, that head looks in good shape,cool color as well.

From what I can gather the old boogies are built like a brick **** house. Really high quality heavy duty components.

Whats the difference between these and the IIC's?? Its seems that the IIC's are the really desirable amps from this period.

well, way back when the IIc's first came out, i tried one then, a/b'ing it against my own.
i kept mine.

so, for whatever it's worth, i didn't see a big enough difference between the two to warrant giving up my IIb.

then, when the 3 channel versions came out, i thought i'd like that even better, but same story.

it really is subjective, the sound of these amps.

what works for me, may not work for you.

any talk of a 'holy grail' sound, is really just a subjective opinion, because everybody is so different with what they like.

you've just got to find one and try it for yourself, to know whether it's 'better' or not for you.
there are no substitutes for experience.

I know what you mean. Tone is subjective. Also it seems sometimes a certain model of guitar, pedal, amp becomes collectible and the myth begins. EG: The Marshall Silver Jubilee amp..awesome amp but is not as good as the hype, you can get a similar tone from a JCM800.

I had a listen to your MySpace music. Sounds awesome mate. Good Vocals, killer guitar tone :)

I will post a IIB review after I have had it a while.

Latest posts

Back