New to the Boogie Family. Any Effects Advice??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTC-Ax20

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a new member to this forum and the Mesa Boogie Family. I just purchased a 3Ch. Dual Rectifier Solo Head and I'm looking for advice as far what effects processors work best with this head. My previous amp was a Johnson Millennium 250 Head and Cab (modeling amp) which was super versatile. I loved the ability to switch patches with one button and have control over the unit with minimal involvment. However it was lacking the core tone, which is the reason I'm starting from scratch with Mesa. Since I'm in a primarily cover band and gig maybe once a month max, I need to have some sort effects system for delay, chorus, whammy, flanger etc... I did consider pedals, but I'm not sure if thats the route for me as I'd like greater flexibility. I'm also not sure which pedals are best in front and which ones should go in the loop.

I've read several posts regarding the TC Electronic G-major, Rocktron Xpression, Digitech GSP 1101, etc...
Seems like people generally 50% love or 50% hate it opinions of most of these units. I'd love the G-Force but it's simply out of my price range. I also would need some sort of controller on the floor to bring it all together. Seems like the Behringer FCB1010 is popular. I'm guessing I need an additional unit to do the channel switching on the DR as well.

If anyone has any opinions on these units, I'd appreciate any hints, tips, or reviews. Also, could anyone provide a how-to or rough schematics as to how everything should be hooked up?

Thank-you in advance for you time and advice,

I also switched from a JM250 to a DR! Small world!

Anyhow!

NOTHING is as versatile as the Johnson Millennium. I used a G-Major with the DR and had fantastic results. It's best to do the serial FX loop mod, though. But the G-Major is great. So is its big brother the G Force!

camsna said:
I also switched from a JM250 to a DR! Small world!

Anyhow!

NOTHING is as versatile as the Johnson Millennium. I used a G-Major with the DR and had fantastic results. It's best to do the serial FX loop mod, though. But the G-Major is great. So is its big brother the G Force!

Small world indeed! Yes I have read about the serial loop mod, but I had some concerns. Mainly, loosing the functionality of the F/X and solo buttons. Now, I guess I would probably would leave the FX loop on all of the time, but do you then use the G-major to control amp channels and the solo boost? I've seen a basic schematic of how to the mod and I considered it, but I'm not sure if I'm qualified to perform the work. How intensive is it? I don't want to ruin my new amp.

The G-Major can't control the channel switching. Well - it can control ONE switching function of the Mesa. You'll need to use the Mesa footswitch or get a MIDI switcher (Axess Electronics CFX4). And the G-Major does have a lead boost function as well. The loop mod is not too tough. Several fellas on the board have done it and can help.

BTC-Ax20,

Please do a search of my posts. I have written extensively on these very topics recently and in detail, so I believe you may find your answers.

Chris

camsna said:
The G-Major can't control the channel switching. Well - it can control ONE switching function of the Mesa. You'll need to use the Mesa footswitch or get a MIDI switcher (Axess Electronics CFX4). And the G-Major does have a lead boost function as well. The loop mod is not too tough. Several fellas on the board have done it and can help.
Regarding the Axess CFX4. Their site detail lists that they sell a 3ch Rectifier cable for $50. Then it states:
"The Mesa/Boogie 3ch Rectifier requires the CFX4's CUSTOM jack to be modified so that the CFX4 can control it via a single cable. As a result of this modification, the CFX4 will not be able to control a different amplifier via its CUSTOM jack unless the modification is undone (by Axess Electronics or an authorized technician). The CFX4's CTL jacks are NOT affected by this modification."

Do you need this cable in order for the CFX4 to work with the DR? Or is this an option to use the 7pin footswitch jack instead of the 5 external switching jacks. It's a bit confusing. They mention that a modification of the Custom jack on the CFX4 is required. I assume that is only with the single cable approach correct? Do they do the modification and charge for it? Anyone have experience with this set-up? I was assuming that I would just use the Ext switching jacks into the CFX4 with 4 short cables. Does the single cable method work better?

Additionally, are the cables from the ext. jacks to the CFX4 supposed to be balanced mono cables? I can't really find that anywhere. I'm thinking of ordering one, I just need to know what I all need to get it up and running.

Thanks,

The Roland FC300 will switch channel and I use it with the Digitech GSP 1101. I like the GSP and there are some draw backs that are still being worked out by Digitech...midi lag...tap tempo...tuner mute issues with non-Digitech footswitches.

I thought long and hard over a g-major (cheaper btw) and the GSP 1101. I went with the GSP because it allows (to a certain extent) me to place effects up front or in the loop. See set up 7 in the manual. The OD's, Distortion, and stompboxes are pretty good and I'm very satisfied with my set up.

Working with MIDI was a big learning curve and I'm still learning and don't think I'v quite tapped the potential but I've had fun tweaking with it.

clutch71 said:
The Roland FC300 will switch channel and I use it with the Digitech GSP 1101. I like the GSP and there are some draw backs that are still being worked out by Digitech...midi lag...tap tempo...tuner mute issues with non-Digitech footswitches.

I thought long and hard over a g-major (cheaper btw) and the GSP 1101. I went with the GSP because it allows (to a certain extent) me to place effects up front or in the loop. See set up 7 in the manual. The OD's, Distortion, and stompboxes are pretty good and I'm very satisfied with my set up.

Working with MIDI was a big learning curve and I'm still learning and don't think I'v quite tapped the potential but I've had fun tweaking with it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I've looked at the GSP1101 in depth. I really like digitech stuff and I'm familar with the interfaces as my previous amp was Johnson Millenium (basically the same brains as the Digitech 2120). The drawbacks for me were the slighty higher cost and I was worried that the internal preamps on the GSP might color the tone too much? Do you run this with your Marshall on the clean tone, using the GSP's preamps, or does work in combo with your amps channels?

I wonder if the J12 footcontroller from my Millennium would work with the GSP, that would be nice.

The Roland foot board might work. I'm not sure if it has enough external switching jacks for the 3ch Mesa DR. I'll look into.

Thanks again

Set up 7 completely bypasses the internal preamp utlizing your amps tone and you can select the to bypass the cabinet emulation. Let me give you a little background in what I was looking for...The main this I wanted to eliminate was tap dancing. I'm running a DSL 50 and to go from clean to dirty, I had to step on a button that cut off my loop, Step on the channel, and turn on a TS808. I also wanted to add a Whammy Pedal, Flange, Fuzz, and phaser to my set up.

The FC300 has 4 modes of which I've only experimented with 2 standard mode, for banking up and down in presets, and control mode, for assigning and turning effects on and off. In standard mode going from a clean patch to dirty I do have to step on the amp contro on the fc300 and then step on the pedal for a clean patch. I usually just line them up so it's one stomp.

I will say control mode does change channel when assigned to a pedal but the wah effect turns other pedals on or off at random. Still trying to work that one out with Digitech and Roland.

I considered buying the control 2 and using the internal preamp for the cleans. I tweaked and tweaked the tone of the internal preamp was no where near that of my clean channel of the amp. So I haven't fooled with the other preamp models but will with head phones for practice.

In going back and looking at the manual for the 3Ch DR, I forgot that you'll need a 4 cable method. So everything I mentioned above maybe moot. You could always call Digitech (I've always gotten right through) and see what they have to say. They are going to try to sell the concept of the amp modeling, but to me the techknology is getting better, but it's no where as good as pure tube tone yet.

Good luck.

I once had the Johnson Millennium 250 and J12 so I know how you feel about losing the flexibility of that setup. The Johnson sounded good for what it was but it does not have the tube tone goodness of a boogie especially at high volume when it farts out. With my current setup I have that same flexibility but with much better tones with my Mesa Roadster, TC Electronics G major for effects, and RJM Amp Gizmo to change amp functions via midi controller. Another thing to consider is getting your effects loop modded to a series loop instead of the parallel loop Dual and Triple Rectifier's have. Effects sound much better through a serial loop.

I have a GSP1101 and a Rocktron Xpression; I have to say they are both sound pretty good as far as coloring your sound. And the quality of the effects is also pretty good on both units.
For my needs the 1101 wins and if you new me this would surprise you!

The 1101 is more of what I would call a “meat & potatoes” as far as effects (this is not a bad thing). I love the sound of the effects! Very high quality! Including a Lexicon reverb and a TC electronics chorus. There are not as many parameters to adjust, per affect. Kind of between a stomp box and a full blown processor. I have been working with rack processors for almost 20 years now, I’m use to breaking out the calculator to set up delay times for time based effects for the tempo of a particular song (delay , chorus, flange and so on) but I don’t feel limited with the 1101. Also the editing software makes things go way quicker!
Take a laptop to a band rehearsal to tweak out your patches, real fast!
Just my 2 cent’s clutch71 said it all already.

Had an afterthought or two.

Some of the reasons I like the 1101 if you did some reading on the device has your usual time based effects (reverb delay flange chorus blah blah) and dynamic, models of some overdrive pedals, a couple of compressors and a noise gate. With the 4 cable method (which this device does) I can have my dynamic effects before the input of my amp and the time based effects after my preamp (or in the effects loop) even had some thoughts about just using just half of the 1101 for the dynamic effects up in the front of the amp and use a different processor in the loop for time based affects. Midi will switch everything so no problems.
As far as the 1101 internal preamp, never use it with my amp. Maybe to lay down a scratch track but that is about it.

If you want to get crazy check out a TC Electronics G-System

6L6C said:
I have a GSP1101 and a Rocktron Xpression; I have to say they are both sound pretty good as far as coloring your sound. And the quality of the effects is also pretty good on both units.
For my needs the 1101 wins and if you new me this would surprise you!

The 1101 is more of what I would call a “meat & potatoes” as far as effects (this is not a bad thing). I love the sound of the effects! Very high quality! Including a Lexicon reverb and a TC electronics chorus. There are not as many parameters to adjust, per affect. Kind of between a stomp box and a full blown processor. I have been working with rack processors for almost 20 years now, I’m use to breaking out the calculator to set up delay times for time based effects for the tempo of a particular song (delay , chorus, flange and so on) but I don’t feel limited with the 1101. Also the editing software makes things go way quicker!
Take a laptop to a band rehearsal to tweak out your patches, real fast!
Just my 2 cent’s clutch71 said it all already.

Hey 6L6, you're setup sounds intriguing. I couldn't find if you had listed what type of amp you are using the GSP1101 with? I'm assuming you're using some sort of amp/channel switching device between the amp and MIDI controller, or does the GSP have this type of ability? I've read the manual and it doesn't seem clear as to whether it can perform MIDI channel changes of an external device like the preamp. Are you using an AMP Gizmo or CFX4 in sequence with your controller? Or does the Rocktron Xpression handle the amp channel switching?

Thanks for the info, I'm still my howework. :D

BTC-Ax20 said:
Hey 6L6, you're setup sounds intriguing. I couldn't find if you had listed what type of amp you are using the GSP1101 with? I'm assuming you're using some sort of amp/channel switching device between the amp and MIDI controller, or does the GSP have this type of ability? I've read the manual and it doesn't seem clear as to whether it can perform MIDI channel changes of an external device like the preamp. Are you using an AMP Gizmo or CFX4 in sequence with your controller? Or does the Rocktron Xpression handle the amp channel switching?

Yeah both units the Xpression and the GSP1101 cannot switch amp channels for you, I currently use an old Rockman Octopus to do that but I think I would like to get the CFX4. The Octopus uses all tip /ring cables to control each function with the CFX4 IF you order the custom Din cable, one connection to the amp DONE. Nice and simple, this is for a Mark IV BTW.

Back