New to me .22 Studio + question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a M/B studio .22 + 1x12 combo with eq. The fedex boys put a real hurtin' on the box. When I took the amp out, the clips that hold the tube holder in the back had broken off and it was hanging down. 3 preamp and 1 power amp tube had come out and were rolling around in the bottom of the cabinet. I re-installed the tubes and fired-up the little beast and it rocked!! Is that holder necessary? Should I try to find replacement clips or re-secure it some other way, or should I just forget about it? Does it have anything to do with shielding from noise? The amp seems quiet without it. If I don't use it, would the tubes ever come out from vibration? Thanks.

Hey! I have a .22+ too I've had since new in '91. (Great, dependable, loud amp!) I've got a couple of the plastic clips broken in mine as well. You'll probably find that the circuit board clips closer to the EL84's have turned color or are broken as well. I've seen some aftermarket clips around, and you might contact Mesa to see what they have. I'd recommend securing those holder clips somehow especially. You will probably find those EL84 tube sockets have weaker holding power than any thing else in the amp because of heat. That holder will go a long way to making the tubes fit "square" in their sockets. Make sure all the tubes are seated well and then secure the holder. If the amp has been pushed at all, they will get lose without it. Also, get a fan, cause those power tubes run hot at high volumes. I run a small cheap plug in fan I hang off the back of the amp. The fans you wire in are obviously much quieter, but run something or you may be changing tube sockets or worse.
Congrats on a great buy!

Hey motorcop...I had a 22+ a few years back and the tube clips were gone as well. I never did replace them, I just made sure everybody was well seated before any gig level event happened and I never had a problem. And +3 on the fan...these little guys get really warm!!! These are GREAT little amps, very portable, and they absolutely kill w/ a 4x12 cab hooked to them... :twisted: Try it, you'll have a big smile on your face!! :mrgreen:

You likely can live without the cover, especially if its a 'stay at home' amp, but it is there for a reason....

I agree with cornellguitarman that you should try to get this fixed if you can. It's added protection for the tubes.
In lieu of the nylon clips, perhaps you may be able to fabricate a way to use some light duty springs to hold it in place...just have to look at it and use your imagination to find a way. :wink:

My 22+ is a 1989 model and have been careful and also lucky that the clips are still OK.

Just curious when FedEx started imitating UPS and United Airlines when it comes to damaging instruments. I have had excellent luck with FedEx....sorry to hear they are "slipping". :cry:

I also have a fan in mine that I installed...it does add to the tube life.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back