New to Boogies . . . Maverick question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ches

Reaction score
I play rhythm guitar in a classic rock/blues cover band, and I've been playing through silverface Fender's for a while. I've got an opportunity to pick up a Maverick head and 2x12 cab. (I've already got a 1x12 Mesa cab.)

Do you think the Maverick would be a good fit for a rhythm guy playing strats? I need to play relatively clean on a lot of our songs, and that's my main area of concern. Would changing the Black Shadow speakers to a pair of Webers help make it sound cleaner or clearer? (I'm horrible when it comes to describing tone . . . sorry!)

Thanks in advance -
Ches

the maverick is perfect for strats. That was the design. The maverick is a true jewel of the mesa backlog. You should check out a lonestar special, it is along the same lines as a mav, but has two channels.

I broght the amp home to demo. I can't seem to get a clear tone from the clean channel - especially compared to my '73 Vibrolux Reverb. The Maverick sounds like it has a blanket over it.

Is that the nature of the beast, or would you think something is wrong with the amp?

Download the manual from Mesa's website. The tone controls are very interactive with each other. It will explain quite a bit.
You probably won't get that same fender clean sound from the maverick, (it's a different amp after all) But it's still a very fun amp to use. I've had one for almost ten years. It's more voiced like a Vox, than a Fender.

Hello Ches,

There is nothing wrong with the amp as it is a darker sounding amp and will not sound at all like a Fender. I owned a Maverick and the (only) reason I sold it was to buy a guitar. In the future I plan on buying another as to my ears it sounds very simliar to a Dumble.

You can get bright tones out of the amp but you need to run both the treble and bass controls around 3 o'clock with the mids around 9 o'clock. Believe it or not but the higher bass settings help with the definition and the treble bite. Without these extreme settings the amp definitely sounds warm or in your case like a blanket over it.

Ches said:
I broght the amp home to demo. I can't seem to get a clear tone from the clean channel - especially compared to my '73 Vibrolux Reverb. The Maverick sounds like it has a blanket over it.

Is that the nature of the beast, or would you think something is wrong with the amp?

What brand of tubes are in it?

Mavericks are great, I have 2 of the 4x10 versions, the cleans are great but as ou mentioned they will not sound like the fender. I love my Mavericks but can not play them after play a fender super reverb because it will sound too "mid", like something is different but I think is just that my hearing is tunning to the brigther fender. The 2x12 version is even darker sounding. To me this is the best Mesa ever.

If you are coming from a Fender background, the tone control is a learning curve of its own. :?

Check the suggestion setting if it came with a manual.

Relatively to Boogie amps from a Fender point of view, it is a good choice as well as a LoneStar Special and Classic in my opinion.

Hey LPClassic, I was looking into a Maverick, then all of sudden the LoneStar Special came out with all these bells and whistles.

But now reading all these posts about the LoneStar Special how great it sounds yet durability is questionable, now I'm leaning back toward a Maverick sacrificing all the bells and whistle of LoneStar Special.

Latest posts

Back