New Rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeleigh

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently my Dual Recto suffered water damage but my insurance company is paying out.

I've deicieded to go for the Triaxis instead.
The plan is for my rack to be...

Racktuner
Rocktron Power Supply
Mesa Triaxis
Marshall JMP-1
G Major
Digitech GSP1101
Marshall 9100 Power Amp

into

Marshall 1960A 4x12

I aim to have the Triaxis and G Major in one side of the power amp and the JMP-1 and Digitech in the other side.

Can anyone see any bad points (other than weight!!) with this set up. Anything I can improve on?

The kind of music is play is similar to Seether, Metallica, Nickelback, Alterbridge, Avenged Sevenfold. Am I making the right choice in going for the Triaxis?

Thanks!!

Triaxis is the best :D
The only bad point to me is I don't like digitech and jmp1 tones.
I think it is a sin polluting triaxis sound with them.
But that's just my taste.
Other than that we have the same rig, plus I have 2.90,cry baby from hell and an expression pedal to control triaxis parameters.
ADA MXC for midi controling.
:D

Really? It was just an idea to run them together but yeah, maybe 2 racks is the answer there then!

I'm using a ADA MC-1 at the moment, but the buttons are letting me down a little so I think its time to upgrade.

Will I be missing out if I'm using the Marshall 9100 as oppose to the 2:90?

jakeleigh said:
Will I be missing out if I'm using the Marshall 9100 as oppose to the 2:90?
Yes because 2.90 was made for triaxis.It has half,deep and modern modes wich gives you more dynamics.
I really really never will trade my triaxis+2.90 for anything.
Tone heaven :D

Jmp1= sterille digital sound.
digitech= cra.p

I really don't like them,for a guy who has a triaxis,they are cra.p.
Only triaxis my friend :D

If you want the recto sound,buy a recto !!!!!!
About gain yes triaxis is plenty of gain.
But to achieve recto's sound you'll have to use gmajor equalizer to scoop mids.
That's it. :D

I run a 2 channel Dual Rectifier and Triaxis/2:90 at the same time, because my Triaxis was lacking the Dual recto rhythm tone. Now I get Mark IIc+ and Dual Recto at the same time or clean and recto, in 2 different 4x12's. The recto on the Triaxis is unusable in my opinion. The Mark sounds are great though!! You need the Simul class 2:90 with the Triaxis!!

To be honest the recto sounds are fizzy and nothing like a recto, in fact the JMP sounds better at these tones.Keep the Triaxis for mark sounds.

Why the hell do you want to use separate effect units for each preamp/each power amp channel? You could only use one! The G-Major is stereo, so just run each preamp into that and specify effects for each stereo channel or use them both in stereo. Like; TriAxis into right input. Right input routed to Left and Right stereo outputs. JMP-1 into left input, also routed to Left and Right stereo outs.

Much better way. Check out the G-Major manual for how to set this up.

Also, 18&Life, have you ever played through the Digitech effect processor or the JMP-1?

Just try the gear, man. If you like what you hear, go for it. What sounds crap and what doesn't is entirely subjective.

Have you ever considered a Rectifier Preamp/Rectifier 2:100 setup? It seems that you are fond of the Recto sound, so why not just go that way? Plus, it's stereo, so you could do great things with it when it comes to effects. And most of those bands you listed do/did use Recto's.

You need to try out a Mark or a TriAxis, because the Recto voicing is really different from the Mark voicing. You may not like it.

The 2:100/Rec Pre are said to be the same circuit as found in the Rectifier heads. I purchased them because I wanted to use a totally stereo rig with effects and all kinda junk. I ended up with preference for a wet/dry/wet setup.

The dry side of that is just Rec Pre/2:100/Cab. It's very Recto sounding, almost limited with the tones it can create... it's hopelessly recto.

The wet side is Rec Pre/ART Reverb/Eventide/ADA MT200/Cabs. These are just a pair of 1x12s split off L&R.

Having the center channel reduced complaints that the FX were changing tones. Since now it's dry, it's just the tube tone people love. (Me too.) The effects are now true stereo. They're capable of creating ambience, echos, and outright harmonies.

Of course this means I really would LOVE to have a nice combo amp, light effects and simplify the setup considerably. But that's normal. You likely want 'it all'.

Slimjim said:
The 2:100/Rec Pre are said to be the same circuit as found in the Rectifier heads. I purchased them because I wanted to use a totally stereo rig with effects and all kinda junk. I ended up with preference for a wet/dry/wet setup.

The dry side of that is just Rec Pre/2:100/Cab. It's very Recto sounding, almost limited with the tones it can create... it's hopelessly recto.

The wet side is Rec Pre/ART Reverb/Eventide/ADA MT200/Cabs. These are just a pair of 1x12s split off L&R.

Having the center channel reduced complaints that the FX were changing tones. Since now it's dry, it's just the tube tone people love. (Me too.) The effects are now true stereo. They're capable of creating ambience, echos, and outright harmonies.

Of course this means I really would LOVE to have a nice combo amp, light effects and simplify the setup considerably. But that's normal. You likely want 'it all'.

You do use a killdry function to eliminate the dry signal from the effects, right?

That way you have only effects going on Left and Right and only dry on Center. :D

Octavarius said:
Also, 18&Life, have you ever played through the Digitech effect processor or the JMP-1?

I have jmp1 for rehearsalls,I don't carry my mesa stuff all the time.
My singer had 1101 and he sold it and bought a tc electronics.
Digitech = cra.p,very digital sterille sound.

Octavarius said:
You do use a killdry function to eliminate the dry signal from the effects, right?

Not necessary, processors have mixers if you wanted to eliminate all dry signal from them, you could. (but it sounds bad)

Actually the expensive FX units still hurt the tone with A/D/A conversions. No matter the brand, it's going to change the tone. In order to preserve the sound of, example 'alnico pickups, tube amps, alnico speakers' it's best to leave them alone. (don't digitize that signal) To get them through effects either mic them or have a signal split into a separate FX rig, one that is stereo. This will leave the amp tone as is, but the effects will be present too, mixed by volume AND fx mix levels.

This advice was given to me by my bassist. (who is an electrician/tube hobbiest). It took years to persuade me, because I never listen, that tube amps sound better when you don't digitize them, so I had to research analog signal and WHY it doesn't mix w/digital. In conclusion I was trying to appease him, as well he knew I would need effects units. So the wet/dry/wet satisfied us both. His raw unmodified tone AND my effects. Now as a side benefit, no matter what tube amp I get it'll fit this system, and I don't even need to reprogram MIDI.

18&Life said:
jakeleigh said:
Jmp1= sterille digital sound.

Here's my rig:

Furman power conditioner
G System
JMP-1
2:90

The JMP1/2:90 sounds pretty f good to me - I'll be honest though, The only resason I don't have a triaxis is the $

I think with the money I had I made the right decisions. I'm stoked.

Personally I feel that the JMP-1 sounds synthetic and it is the reason that I sold it. I wanted a more natural/organic tube sound. I returned to heads playing relatively dry.

That being said, I still own a GSP2101. When dialed in properly, it is a really nice unit. It does color your sound some though and the factory settings are pretty weak. The GSP2101 really benefits from rev 3.00a and the PPC-210 upgrade card. If you don't have those in your unit I would highly recommend upgrading your unit. The 3.00a upgrade only costs about $25-30. The PPC-210 will run you about $200.

One thing I don't know: why I felt like my road king's tone was 6.5 until I got the right rack units for the loop and now the tone is a 10. In theory, the A/D/A conversions should have digitized/weakened the tone and signal right? But ever since I started running the new rig, I can't go back to just plugging straight into the road king.

One thing I do know: try any amp, cab, combo, whatever, BEFORE you buy it. Seriously. Don't go off of recommendations or product descriptions from the company. Friends will always have different tastes, and product descriptions and reviews aren't exaclty unbiased.

Bottom line: if it sounds good, IT IS good. Go try them out, and buy whatever sounds best to you.

Slimjim said:
Octavarius said:

Not necessary, processors have mixers if you wanted to eliminate all dry signal from them, you could. (but it sounds bad)

Actually the expensive FX units still hurt the tone with A/D/A conversions. No matter the brand, it's going to change the tone. In order to preserve the sound of, example 'alnico pickups, tube amps, alnico speakers' it's best to leave them alone. (don't digitize that signal) To get them through effects either mic them or have a signal split into a separate FX rig, one that is stereo. This will leave the amp tone as is, but the effects will be present too, mixed by volume AND fx mix levels.

This advice was given to me by my bassist. (who is an electrician/tube hobbiest). It took years to persuade me, because I never listen, that tube amps sound better when you don't digitize them, so I had to research analog signal and WHY it doesn't mix w/digital. In conclusion I was trying to appease him, as well he knew I would need effects units. So the wet/dry/wet satisfied us both. His raw unmodified tone AND my effects. Now as a side benefit, no matter what tube amp I get it'll fit this system, and I don't even need to reprogram MIDI.

Good.

Speaking of which, you could also use a normal parallel mixer to keep the natural dry signal even in a simple stereo system.

The dry signal goes into the mixer and is split in two. One out goes to the effects where it's processed and the other goes straight to the mixer out. Then, you kill the dry signal on the effect processors, so they only carry on the effects, and then it's mixed together. The result is simply an all analog pure dry signal mixed with the (now) analog effects from the processors.

A common mixer like that is the DMC System Mix, but it's been out of production for 10 years or something... By the way, does anyone know of a similar product in production today? I haven't had so much luck in finding a good one like that.

Slimjim said:
Octavarius said:

Ok, It seems as though you've misunderstood my point. A killdry function, found on most TC Electronic processors, eliminates the dry from the processors outputs. It's the same as using a mixer on one.

When you take away the dry signal from the effect processors you get only the effects. Then the center cab handles the untouched dry signal. That's what a W/D/W signal is all about. The dry tone is not digitalized and kept completely dry without any effects. And a separate power amp and cabs are handling the effects only. So I was just asking if you had both effects and dry coming from the L&R cabs.

The dry signal preservation in a W/D/W setup can also be applied to a simple stereo system. See my previous post.

But the analog vs. digital think you mention also depends a lot on the quality of the A/D/A converters used. Eventide, for instance, uses high end converters of the type used in professional recording studios, etc., and the minimal change in tone is barely detectable by the human ear. So I'd say it really depends. The converters used in a TC Electronic G-Major, for instance, suck tone as hell.

Latest posts

Back