new recto has too much feedback!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
Plugged in my dual recto for the first time yesterday and i couldnt even get into channel 3! the feedback was horrendous! i was using the factory settings for this. channel 2 had a some feedback in modern mode. but not uncontrollable.

how do i fix this?

also, any advice on properly shutting down?

a. does this occure at any volume? try using a different guitar/patch cable/take any effects out of the loop/ensure speaker cable is sound

b. if non of these work, a tube may be microphonic. first try switching the preamp tubes around. move v1 to v3, v2 to v4, whatever order you really want. just move v1 out of v1. if this fails, try tapping lightly on the tops of the tubes and listen for any dramatic sounds. if the feedback still prevails, something else is up. call mesa. its free, and they're very helpfull. they may determine that a tube is gone and send you a knew one.

c. shut down procedures have been covered numerous times. do a search.

i think i may have been using excessive gain. i dialed in that last setting found in the manual to see what this thing could do. i also had the volume around 10 o'clock. today i rolled down the volume and gain and found no problems. however, in the future ill need a gate for when i increase volume to saturate.

any suggestions on a gate?

What's wrong with feedback? I love feedback (when it's controlled)! You have'nt mentioned your guitar's pups(EMG's perhaps), where your playing this amp (bedroom or w/band), or your proximity to the amp when playing (sitting in front of it, or standing a block away)! Some players will tell about a certain night on a certain stage where they become one with they're tone, "hold a note and it blooms into beautiful feedback", that's what I'm talkin about! Maybe your talking about microphonics? Whatever it is, I hate gates!

If you were facing the amp that might have had something about it too. When you play with a band, you don't face the amp and thats when you probably turn up too. You might try walking out about 10 feet and and havnig your guitar pointing forward (not towards the amp) and see if thats gonna work in a live situation. Also, as mentioned above, a bad cord can do the same thing.

Thats my $.02 worth.

Elpelotero said:
i think i may have been using excessive gain...
any suggestions on a gate?

I cant think of any reason to turn the recto's gain past 3:00, and even that can be too much for many styles.

Gate? Although its not really a "gate", more of a noise reduction, ISP Decimator. Available as a pedal or rack, once you try it everything else sucks.

Latest posts

Back