new recording using Palmer PDI-09 & mark 2B 60 watt head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
'Following Light'

this boogie head- is fresh from it's 'every-26 years' doctor checkup..
new caps, NOS power tubes, clean as a whistle.

all guitar tracks:
custom USACG strat w/ bill lawrence 500L humbucker>>Barber DDSS>>mesa boogie mark2b 60w head>>Palmer PDI-09 'junction'>>xlr out to a designs audio mp-1 mic pre>>sonar

no mics. speaker load was a V30 in a Demeter Isolation cabinet.

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=51416&ArtistID=30211
or
http://tinyurl.com/2mu44f

download:
http://download.yousendit.com/C7260C6F60F53F78
expires in 7 days

the boogie was set on the lead channel for just 'crunchy'...
the DDSS provides all the girth and sustain....
"V" cut on the graphic eq.

this has been a great experiment, hope you enjoy it.
if anyone wants to know about the palmer, i'd be happy to talk about it.

those are really sweet tones! you used the "V" shape on the graphic eq but your tones are still so juicy, I find it to be an effect of direct recording, what do you think?

The Barber seems to do something incredible to the sound. It's still very "Boogie", but sounds to me like there's a treble booster in there too. Come to think of it, I think the vibe is very much like a hot Vox AC30, but more "American" if that makes sense.

I like the re-mix a lot. Did you completely re-write the bass line?

ytse_jam-
my 'v' isn't as dramatic as most.....
my 6000 slider is just above flat....
the 2200 is boosted about the width of the slider top...
the 750 is halfway down between the two lines..
the 240 is just above flat...
and the 80 is halfway up between the two lines.

honestly, the middle setting on the pdi-09 sounds so much like my greenback miced,there's not much difference.
the biggest difference, seems to be the lack of room sound.... so the actual recording sounds much more..... in your face.

i can add ambient reverb (great plugins with sonar) and then it sounds almost identical to a room mic.

with multiple guitar tracks, all blended together, it's not quite so obvious....
the collective adds up nicely.

i could do a single guitar track, and you'd hear the difference more- the direct track would not sound brighter, or sterile.... just more dry.
i'm diggin' it.

you DO have to watch any high end adds on mixdown, but the top end is so smooth with the 'normal' tone setting, that it gives me a lot of options on mixdown.

the bright setting, sounds like a 4x12 with V30's, which is not my favorite sound!!
LOL
it's VERY crunchy....

i actually used that setting on one of the rhythm parts..... but not the main parts, one of the filler parts...

you can hear that setting distinctly, at 1:48, when the drums break down, and the one guitar does the repeating riff.

palmer link:
http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml

plumptone
the barber, the way i have it set, isn't pushing the treble too hard...
and the mids are cut.....
the presence inside the pedal, is set for pretty hot (the DDSS is cool, it's got a lows, mids, harmonics, and presence trimpot inside that you can customize, as well as the tone knob on top for dialing in treble bite)
the boogie, set on 'just crunch' on the lead channel, for all the rhythms, gives that vox effect...

the solo guitar, is actually the clean channel, with the barber set for a hotter setting.

yes, the bass line was completely re-written, for a more aggressive part...
plus, i used the barber tone press on it, and set the sansamp bass di for the most aggressive setting i've ever used with it..
and i think i like it better that way.

got word, that the weber mass lite will arrive next wednesday....

so i gotta get to work setting up a drum track, to do the 'new' experiment.

i'm thinking, maybe i'll try that 'bright' setting on the palmer...
but dial in a lot more bass on the boogie, than i've typically used in the past....
and dial up the eq as well......
cut the mid a little more aggressively...
add the barber in for more 'grind', and see how big i can get a single guitar track to sound.

hm...
gears are spinning.....

hm..
i figured there'd be more interest in recordings done without mics..

that seems to be a problem area that more home recordists have to deal with, than not..

you know, i had read a lot of reviews about this thing before i decided to pull the trigger...
but hadn't heard any samples.

Back