one from the new album: "Waiting to Shine"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
one from the new album: "Waiting to Shine"

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb06-waiting-to-shine

a more bluesy laid back groove, than some of the other tunes, this one is built around a simple rhythm chord change.
using the USACG custom strat i built, all the rhythm guitar tracks were captured with a palmer pdi-09, miced cab for the solo.

--solo at the end shows off the budda wah really well, nice wah. stacked with a fulltone fatboost III, and the mesa pretty much cranked.

recorded and mixed with Sonar 6PE

gear: AT4033, ADK Hamburg, shure sm57 mics, A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, ART DPS, dbx compressor, mesa boogie mark2b amp, avatar vintage 1x12 speaker cab w/celestion G12C, Superior Avatar drums, Ibanez Mikkro short scale bass, sansamp bass DI

stratinrepose.jpg

recrig1.jpg

dude you know where i stand on your stuff....it's fantastic as always!!!!!!

As above. Always a pleasure to listen.

I'm sure I've asked previously.... You write the midi drum tracks for all your music? If you do, it's pretty impressive. I really struggle writing complex drumming and occassionaly not-so-complex doesn't sound right, too. I know what I want to hear in my head but getting the correct pattern and 'technique' down and using the correct instruments (toms, snare, kick etc) in their correct place is not always easy. It annoys the living daylights out of me. Suggestions? (copy and paste drum midi files, perhaps?)

I use Superior Drums and Sonar 6PE, too.

blaklynx
thanks for checking this one out.....

as far as writing drum parts, i'm just a frustrated drummer at heart!
i'd give up playing guitar, if i could play drums as well....

i can hardly keep a 4/4 hi hat beat and play a one-two kick-snare groove.
LOL........

i spend as much time as it takes, to find the Superior and EZdrummer grooves that work.
sometimes, i'll write the entire drum track in advance, based off of a previously recorded demo, that i usually play to a click or a simple straight time groove, to write the song and fix the arrangment...
like a template of the song.

it's real easy to just play to a click track, IF your DAW has a good metronome: in sonar, i can use the superior kick and snare sound to trigger the metronome, so even tho it's technically a 'click', it feels like i'm playing to a drum track.

if you play to a click, what that affords you later, is to go back and replace all your 'endless repeating drum groove' loops, with either custom loops you write on the fly, or drag and drop loops that you just spend lots of time demo'ing as you 'create the drum track' to go along with your music you've already recorded with your 'metronome drum track'.
does that make sense?

so, as i build my final drum track, i change the velocity settings, the 'humanize' settings, all that....... knowing that i can later edit it all i want, but it feels more natural if you change up the velocity setting on a 'loop by loop' basis.

then, i'll go back and take out cymbal stuff i don't like, or add cymbals wherever i want them to coincide with the music, by using a PIANO ROLL view of the midi information (this is so easy in Sonar)

if i have a particularly good riff or fill, i'll use it multiple times, doing a simple cut and paste..... but never back to back, and never in such a way where it happens on the same part of the song later.....

for example, if i find a good fill, that starts on the snare, moves across the toms, and finishes with a crash........ i'll cut and paste it later, but edit it so the snare beats happen on the low toms, use the rest of the fill, and move the cymbal strike from one cymbal (say, crash) to another cymbal (say, hi hat, or china, or another crash)

you can edit these fills to FEEL different too, you can actually take the snap function in sonar, put it on 'absolute time'.... which means you can drag a section of loop and place it, in real time, anywhere you want....

so say, you want a fill to beat super back beat..... you can slide that one fill 5ms later in the song, so it has a bit of drag to it....
or just the opposite, push a fill forward to give it energy...

sometimes, downstrokes at the beginning of song section changes, feel better coming in almost late, than on the beat..
you can go into piano view, take that one hit, and slightly drag it backwards in time, by just a millisecond, and it gives it a completely different feel.

it's infinite, how much you can edit the midi data, only you can decide how much time you want to take, but every edit makes a difference.

hey Gonzo,

Thanks for all that info.

I tend to do very similar to you, 'humanize' it a little..... move events forward, backward, adjust velocities. A real drummer is not a perfect timing machine. What I find more difficult is knowing what 'instruments' in the drum kit to use to make a section 'stand out' and write a more complex pattern that make sense in terms of drumming.

I think I'll have to find midi tracks from jazz, progressive, fusion and rock type bands. Dream Theatre isn't a bad place to start for what I need.....

yeah, you mix the 'fusion' and jazz style fills, with the metal (DFH) style sounds, and that will get you there..

then, think about taking certain stock fills, and simply removing a few choice hits (in piano view in sonar, i'll take out a couple of tom hits here, a cymbal strike there, strip it down, then add something that is more 'syncopated')

also, i almost never do cymbals until the whole song is arranged and done, then i'll go back and manually put in all my cymbal hits, making sure i don't hit more than two things, and a kick, at the same time....

hook a keyboard up, and record cymbal work by hand, using the piano keys and velocity control, and it makes it even quicker.

Latest posts

Back